7mm PRC Build

Ucsdryder

WKR
Are you going to reload or shoot factory? I’d make sure I can get brass/dies or ammo first.

OP
mfllood3800
Are you going to reload or shoot factory? I’d make sure I can get brass/dies or ammo first.
I will take anything I can get at first. But I know eventually it will all be out there. I have everything but the cases but will be hopefully fire forming some variant of my 6.5 prc?. Or at least trying to see how one of those close to that could work or I'll have to wait for Hornady. I've ordered the dies from Precision reloading and already have seater. It's not the one I will end up with but it will get me by. I already have everything else. I'm fixing to post up pics of components and parts thingies.

Last edited:
OP
mfllood3800
Here are some of the components I will be using in the assembly. I do not claim to be a rifle builder and do not want to give that vibe off at all. I am merely assembling parts and pieces. Also will be pics of the kaboom components I will use. 7prc.jpg

Last edited:
OP
mfllood3800
Seems like guys like the 175 eldx and I have those. I also read the Berger 180's will be a good choice and I have those as well. They will be propelled by H1000. around 70 gr from what I am reading. I am using a 20" barrel, because this will be a suppressed build with a 6" titanium. Fed 215 MG.
NightForce ATACR 4x20x50 with NF scope rings. At first I was thinking too heavy, but I am ok with a lil weight to keep recoil down. It will be light enough in the XLR chassis and short CF barrel.

Last edited:

axeforce6

WKR
I believe the 7mm PRC case is 2.280 and the 6.5 PRC is 2.030. How will you make that work from fire forming. Seems your going to be very short.

ID_Matt

WKR
Man that case is going to have to stretch a TON to fire form. There is no way I would try that. H1000 and 175/180's seems like a good recipe. Build sounds awesome, only thing I would change is the vortex rings. Hawkins or Nightforce would be my choice.

OP
mfllood3800
Chassis is the XLR Element 4.0 M. I went with the longer forearm as I have the shorter XLR Atom M on my 6.5 PRC build and that thing is crazy light. So an extra ounce or so doesn't bother me with this bigger caliber. I will drop a simple TT in it for a good crsip feel.

OP
mfllood3800
The action is the Kelbly Nanook Nitride in black. Sure did seem smooth. Smoother than my Defiant. But my Defiant was uncoated and fluted heavily for weight savings so there's that.

OP
mfllood3800
Man that case is going to have to stretch a TON to fire form. There is no way I would try that. H1000 and 175/180's seems like a good recipe. Build sounds awesome, only thing I would change is the vortex rings. Hawkins or Nightforce would be my choice.
My rings are Night Force HD ultralight 4 hole. . The only thing Vortex is the scope level. I really like their level. It's big and not sensative like the smaller ones are.

Harvey_NW

WKR
yep I think the first one I saw do it was a guy shooting F class.
I think you're thinking about this video from F-Class John where he necked up a 6.5 PRC to .284 and said "some people call it the 7 PRC, but it's not", it's the 7mm-3DP, far different from the actual SAAMI 7 PRC, as others have stated.

OP
mfllood3800
And it's 7 PRC not just a necked up 6.5 PRC (7-6.5 PRC)? Just seems extreme. Going to stretch the case a ton and still cant see how you'd get the case to the same length.
correct. It is the Smith that said he could fire form certain cases if he had them so I am letting him do that work.
edit: He doesn't have the needed cases so that is out.

Last edited:

axeforce6

WKR
I think you’d be better off cutting 300PRC down and running it through a die. Be a pain though. Ammo will be shipping soon for 7 PRC. I’d wait and not rush it.

OP
mfllood3800
And it's 7 PRC not just a necked up 6.5 PRC (7-6.5 PRC)? Just seems extreme. Going to stretch the case a ton and still cant see how you'd get the case to the same length.
yes thats the vid I saw

My Smith is responsible for the fire forming part