7mm 120 ttsx

Rob5589

WKR
Yes for sure. We are not looking for a reduced recoil load anymore, just thinking that a 120 grain should produce less recoil than a 150-160 grain bullet. And if the 120 will do the job for now on deer and antelope, then why not try it.
It's noticable. A 150 recoils harder than a 120 in mine. Neither are what I'd consider unreasonable but you can tell.
I have two Tikkas:
45 of R15, BR2, 120 TTSX, standard oal is around 3150.
48.5 of CFE223, CCI250, 2.9 oal using a long action bolt stop and mag, 3246.
Both are basically straight from the Barnes website.

KenLee

WKR
Like I said, I can appreciate what you're saying, but it is a solution in search of a problem. Pick the best bullet for the game at hand and have everybody shoot it.

With that said, the way you describe the firearms as all being the same, is this a private hunting property where you supply everything including the guns?
Yep. I have no wife (at the moment) or grandkids and enjoy taking others hunting. No fees charged and all for shits and giggles. 4 different hunting properties, but all the same participants.

I gotcha now, sounds like you are giving folks some great opportunities. Good on you.

I lived in Western NC for a year and had some great deer hunting. 35 Whelen AI with a 200 TTSX dropped them as fast there as muley's and elk in Colorado.

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
I used to run the 120gr TTSX in my 7 Rem Mag. Deadly little bullet. Everything I have shot with it has died with 1 bullet, longest track job about 50yds. Multiple cow elk, mulies and whitetails. Majority have been bang flops.

I wouldnt hesitate to use it in 7mm-08. Distance will be cut a bit.

I used to run the 120gr TTSX in my 7 Rem Mag. Deadly little bullet. Everything I have shot with it has died with 1 bullet, longest track job about 50yds. Multiple cow elk, mulies and whitetails. Majority have been bang flops.

I wouldnt hesitate to use it in 7mm-08. Distance will be cut a bit.
Awesome.
I've been kicking the idea around of trying these ever since I saw the recipe in the Nosler book that my 7RM could send these out at 3500fps.
What does the wound channel look like and how bad is the bloodshot area around the entry/exit holes?

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome.
I've been kicking the idea around of trying these ever since I saw the recipe in the Nosler book that my 7RM could send these out at 3500fps.
What does the wound channel look like and how bad is the bloodshot area around the entry/exit holes?
i dont have any pictures, but typical barnes behavior.

about a 1" hole in the ribs, lungs have a lot of bloodshot and are torn up pretty good. exit about 1-2" on the ribs.

bloodshot area around the entry/exit is minimal, not much bigger than the entry/exit. I have hit 1 shoulder before and it blew it to pieces, not much meat was able to be saved.

Bloodshot minimal with the 110 TTSX (270 Win, 3400 fps) and 130 TTSX ('06, 3300 fps) on pronghorn to elk. Light for weight monos are the thinking man's bullet choice, IMO. No matter the shot (shoulder, behind the shoulder, etc) monos kill less meat and just as many critters. Shot angle presentations are far less critical because it's not a grenade, but sadly, your necropsy pictures will look mundane and won't win any bro or bandwagon awards.

We run H4350 in the wife’s gun with 120s and the factory Barnes ammo with 120 ttsx. I’ve had great luck. Need her to shoot more towards shoulder but sub 350 I think it’s excellent and accurate.

Like I said, I can appreciate what you're saying, but it is a solution in search of a problem. Pick the best bullet for the game at hand and have everybody shoot it.
I agree, but it's also good to have options. Right now I have 120 NBT, 139 Hornady SPBT (got for free during Hornady get loaded promo), 150 Fusion, and 162 ELDs for the 7-08. The 120s shoot lights out over 44 grains of Varget, but the fun/challenge of reloading for me is seeing if I can replicate the same performance with similar recoil across bullet styles. If my can ever gets out of jail, it should tame the heavier recoiling recipes and extend the range of the 7-08. With BCs in the 6s, the heavy ELDs can jog a long ways.

The shooting distance wasn't the crux of the discussion. It's the fact that beginner ("newbie" was the term) shooters are only permitted to shoot one bullet and experienced shooters are allowed to "graduate" to using a different bullet.

Distance is immaterial, the practice itself sits funny with me. Like I said, I have a better understanding of what is being done, it doesn't change that it's a solution in search of a problem in my opinion.

Last edited:
After lengthy research, and consulting with a few folks on here, I'm going to be working up a couple new loads with 140 VLDs and 145 LRX for my daughter's November cow hunt in WY. The LRX performs like a Barnes with the added tip to accelerate expansion. The VLDs are reliable killers that do majority of damage in the chest after penetrating with limited blood shot.

Looking at the recoil tables, the 140s may be the sweet spot for the 7-08. Even with near max charges (47ish grains of Big Game), recoil in a 8.5# rifle is around 13ft. lbs. Suppressed it will be a super soft shooter and pretty flat inside 400 yards.