7mm-08 Rem success on big game

sambo3006

FNG
I've taken two deer with the 120 gr TTSX at 2900 fps at 100 and 300 yards from a Sako 591 7mm-08. Both were high chest shots and both dropped on the spot with full penetration. I've taken three deer with the 140 gr Ballistic Tip at 2600 fps from an XP-100 7mm-08 pistol at 50, 150, and 232 yards. All three deer ran a short distance. The two closer shots were broadside with full penetration, and the 232 yard was a frontal shot. That bullet penetrated through the chest cavity and lodged somewhere beyond the diaphragm. I'll be switching to the 120 gr Ballistic Tip in the XP-100 for a bit flatter trajectory.

I’m trying to decide if I want to try running the 120ttsx at 3100+fps or a 162eldm at snail speed. I’m thinking for a 400yd and in gun the 120 wins.
I'm running an 18" barrel and with the velocity penalties considered, the recoil/trajectory/terminal performance sweet spot may be the 139-140 class bullets. If you're running a 22" barrel, the 150 class bullets are tough to beat. For curiosity sake, I'm in the process of load development with the 162 ELDX, 150 Fusion, and 139 Interlok SPBT. If I didn't already have these, I'd be picking up some 150 ELDX, 140 AB and 140 VLD for additional testing.

The 120 Nosler BT shoots tremendously out of my Tikka over 44 grains of Varget at 2.810 OAL.

JG Raider pisses me off every time he posts pics of that wall, and he knows it.

140 AB/NPT in the early years, lately 150 ELDX.

Deer, elk, antelope, yotes. Confident from right close to out there a ways.

Nothing has needed a second shot, although elk get hit again as long as they’re upright.

It’s my favorite big cartridge.

P

JGRaider

WKR
JG Raider pisses me off every time he posts pics of that wall, and he knows it.

140 AB/NPT in the early years, lately 150 ELDX.

Deer, elk, antelope, yotes. Confident from right close to out there a ways.

Nothing has needed a second shot, although elk get hit again as long as they’re upright.

It’s my favorite big cartridge.

P
Pharm, as always, I come in peace......7-08 is my favorite as well.

What has been seen for penetration with the 7-08, on elk and larger? More specifically on a quartering shot, if it was needed, and at a further distance. Not talking long-range.

SC HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
What has been seen for penetration with the 7-08, on elk and larger? More specifically on a quartering shot, if it was needed, and at a further distance. Not talking long-range.
I've never shot an elk with a 7mm-08 or any other weapon. BUT I have shot a cow, as in a full grown dairy cow type cow, that had her head hung up in a fence and was dying, tearing the fence apart and I couldnt get to her head. I shot her with a 120 grain barnes TTSX in the lungs angled up through her chest. She died within 5-10 seconds the bullet ran through her chest and was just inside the brisket/shoulder muscle area. I'd shoot an elk (or horse) with a 7mm-08 any day as long it wasn't facing me kinda shot.

grfox92

WKR
Killed a number of critters with 7/08 with 162 eldm and 180 eldm.

Mv 162- 2750
Mv 180 2626

600 y 5 point bull 162 eldm double tap drt
250 y 4 point mule deer 1 shot 40 yard dash
330 y 5 point bull 180 eldm double tap drt
550 y 4 point mule deer 180 eldm 1 shot 40 yard dash
100 y 4 point mule deer 180 eldm double tap drt
What twist rate do shoot 180s? Factory gun or new barrel?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

stv117

Lil-Rokslider
My my brother buck this season, with a single double lung pass through at 204 yards. 140 gr. NAB on top of 45.0 gr of IMR 4350, using a Savage 11 Trophy Hunter XP Youth.

IMG_0695.jpeg

Not the biggest bull by any means, but one of my most dramatic.

346 yards, hard quartering away, showing a bit of his right side. I hit him far back in the ribs on the right, the bullet transversed the chest cavity and exited in front of the left shoulder, so full penetration. 140 gr Partition started at 2885 fps.

Here’s the funny part. I was shooting seated with the rifle supported by my Trigger Sticks tripod. I lost the sight picture to recoil and when I got the picture back the bull was gone. Did I miss? It was open enough I should have been able to see him run off. What the heck?

I marked my position and went over to where the bull was when I shot. There he lay, dead as Biden’s chance for a second term. The bull dropped in his tracks, that’s why I couldn’t see him. Didn’t take a step.

P

KenLee

WKR
I know, it’s just seeing those monsters reminds me of the little bucks I tend to shoot.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m grateful to fill my tag, but knowing what’s out there, somewhere over the rainbow…

P
Shiddd, I'd pull the spots off one if I'm hungry at that moment 😉.
But I'm gonna put 25-30 in my freezers every year anyway.

KenLee

WKR
I've never shot an elk with a 7mm-08 or any other weapon. BUT I have shot a cow, as in a full grown dairy cow type cow, that had her head hung up in a fence and was dying, tearing the fence apart and I couldnt get to her head. I shot her with a 120 grain barnes TTSX in the lungs angled up through her chest. She died within 5-10 seconds the bullet ran through her chest and was just inside the brisket/shoulder muscle area. I'd shoot an elk (or horse) with a 7mm-08 any day as long it wasn't facing me kinda shot.
I've shot a horse w a 7mm-08, but was at the center of the X between ears and eyes.
He went straight down, but that's expected.

SC HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Shiddd, I'd pull the spots off one if I'm hungry at that moment 😉.
But I'm gonna put 25-30 in my freezers every year anyway.
25-30 deer?? 😳😂

Speaking of shooting horses. I dated a girl after high school that had horses and I can attest that a 22 magnum will work as well. I'll also say I never want to own horses for as long as I live.

KenLee

WKR
25-30 deer?? 😳😂

Speaking of shooting horses. I dated a girl after high school that had horses and I can attest that a 22 magnum will work as well. I'll also say I never want to own horses for as long as I live.
Yep deer. I take alot of kids and ladies hunting that otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity to hunt. The 25-30 is the # that my shooters don't have the freezer space or parents don't "allow" game meat cooked in their house. Freaks!
Yes horses are a pain to do it right.

FredH

FNG
I have an early Model 7 in 7-08 that is my favorite deer rifle presently. I shoot 145 gr. Speer SPBT's and Nosler 140 grain Partitions generally getting around 2600 fps from it's 18 inch barrel. Absolutely perfect for my purposes.

Here is one of my 7-08AI kills.

TX Axis buck. Shot was between 110-115 (I ranged him at 105 and he took a few steps quartering away while I was getting set up).

162 grain ELD-X with a muzzle velocity of 2785. Slightly quartering away. Shot entered low behind the onside shoulder and exited off-side just above the brisket. Heart was goo.

IMG_1871.jpg
IMG_9028.JPG