7mm-08 not producing decent groups with Accubonds

Firehawk

WKR
Varget is an excellent choice. I got slightly better groups but much better velocity with BG.

P
I use a lot of Big Game in my .325 WSM. Never tried it in my 7mm-08s but have heard it works great. With how hard components are to find, I stocked up on Varget and Big Game for my two cartridges.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
Perhaps I'm being too narrow-focused in my reading of this thread and/or revealing my lack of knowledge on the issues of higher-ordered reloading practices, but if the goal is to have an accurate load that not only shoots well, but also feeds from the magazine system of a particular rifle, then isn't it just a waste of components and time to fiddle with seating depths that must be single-loaded? This doesn't appear ideal for a hunting rifle load for a repeater.

Last edited:

JGRaider

WKR
Perhaps I'm being to narrow-focused in my reading of this thread and/or revealing my lack of knowledge on the issues of higher-ordered reloading practices, but if the goal is to have an accurate load that not only shoots well, but also feeds from the magazine system of a particular rifle, then isn't it just a waste of components and time to fiddle with seating depths that must be single-loaded? This doesn't appear ideal for a hunting rifle load for a repeater.
I agree. It's always best to seat bullets starting at max mag box length, work up to pressure, and go from there.

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
Is it time to check the barrel for pressure? Maybe pop it out of the stock and make sure its free floated?

AkRyan

WKR
You may want to double check your measurement to the lands (CBTO). Your measurement of 2.867" is longer than my 7 rem mag. You may be jamming the bullet into the lands. How did you come to that CBTO measurement?
You might want to remeasure your 7mag..

AKmatt

FNG
My tikka t3x loved the 140 accubonds with 48.5 grains of H4350 and a cci 200 primer, got lucky with 1/2 MOA with this recipe.

Don’t know if this helps but I have heard that accubonds seem to like the 40-50k off the lands. I have found this to be the case in one of my rifles as well so may try seating them out a little longer?

Highbrass

FNG
I have had variable luck with several Nosler bullets, one of which is a 140 bt. Those bullets work well in one rifle and cant get them to shoot hardly at all in another. I have seen this anomaly in more than one caliber with Noslers.
I have almost no issues with Hornady and Sierras.
Never figured out why but I just know some of their bullets just won't work in some guns. The ones that do work are spectacular?

AKmatt

FNG
It might be prudent, when recommending over max book loads, to state as such in your post. Start low and work up, or something like.

P
My apologies. You’re right, I did start 1.5 grains lower than max (always do) and work up.

elkguide

WKR
Besides all of the reloading variables, some rifles just don't like certain bullets.

My favorite .300 Win Mag is a Cooper model 56. It is a true 1/2" MOA or better rifle..... except with Nosler Accu bonds. I have a Brown Precision custom .284 Winchester that is the same with every 140 grain bullet except Hornady SSTs. I have a Kimber Montana in .300 WSM that will shoot Accu bonds OK but will not shoot LR Accu bonds under 2 MOA.

Isn't this all part of the fun of the adventure of shooting/hunting/reloading?!?!