7mm-08 and 162 ELD-M

Apologies for the message delete, I accidentally used the head space measurement instead of actual case length, thus the understated pressure. After correcting this input, I get a pmax of 61,650 for this load. However, I dont think this is accurate, as it lists a case fill of 101.3%, but at 46.5 grains the powder isn't even in the case neck. To get more precise I would need to validate the case capacity for the Alpha OCD cases.

1726586176298.png

1726586201173.png

This is why I stopped experimenting with other bullets and other powder.

500 yards, prone shooting off my hunting pack, 150 eldx, 46.2 gr Big Game.
Thank you and do you have pressure signs with this load? According to this GRT tool, assuming the same case length (2.029), COL (2.925), 9 twist, and 55.3 gr. H2O capacity, your hitting a pmax of 65,174 psi. Reducing the COL (due to the 150 being shorter than 162) to 2.850" increases pressure to 69,195 psi.

1726598187538.png

Last edited:
No pressure signs.

No ejector marks, no heavy bolt lift, velocity is 2780, so it’s not a barn burner. Primer pockets are tight, I’m on my 4th reloading with no issues.

Edit to add, same load (slightly different OAL) in three rifles. No pressure signs.

Been using this load for many years.

P

Last edited:
No pressure signs.

No ejector marks, no heavy bolt lift, velocity is 2780, so it’s not a barn burner. Primer pockets are tight, I’m on my 4th reloading with no issues.

Edit to add, same load (slightly different OAL) in three rifles. No pressure signs.

Been using this load for many years.

P
Thank you for sharing. Unless the H2O capacity or something else is off on this tool, something must be wrong with the calculations. The Big Game load exhibits significantly higher pmax than the SB 6.5 load and you're not seeing pressure.

I can't remember, what brass are you typically running?

Thank you for sharing. Unless the H2O capacity or something else is off on this tool, something must be wrong with the calculations. The Big Game load exhibits significantly higher pmax than the SB 6.5 load and you're not seeing pressure.

I can't remember, what brass are you typically running?

You guys should have Hodgdon's data and GRT duke it out because hodgdon has two 150 gr loads listed @ 46.2 gr of big game with associated pressures.

jfjohn77

FNG
This is why I stopped experimenting with other bullets and other powder.

View attachment 765478

500 yards, prone shooting off my hunting pack, 150 eldx, 46.2 gr Big Game.

P

Hodgdon uses 1:9.5 twist as well, and when I change twist rate in GRT from 1:9 to 1:9.5 and visce versa, there is no change in pressure.
Remember, what you use a a seating depth along with case volume will determine your load ratio. the deeper your bullet seats in the case will also increase pressures.

Remember, what you use a a seating depth along with case volume will determine your load ratio. the deeper your bullet seats in the case will also increase pressures.

Pressure is high at the lands, then decreases as jump increases, until the combustion chamber becomes small, and pressure rises.

Pressure is higher at the extremes.

P

jfjohn77

FNG
Yes, I wasn't going to get into that. Some individuals never check their throat depth as to when their bullet actually touches the lands. If they just seat their bullets long, when chambered the bullet gets shoved into the case causing a pressure increase. And they don't know why??

3sdad

FNG
I skipped all 6 pages so if I repeat already said info... my bad. I have a 22" tikka in 7mm-08. I went down the heavy for caliber rabbit hole. Staball 6.5 is the powder you want to use l, unless you go the f class route with a 30" tube. Then varget gets the nod. I never used the 162 eldms just the 162eldx. I think the eldms have a lower bearing surface and end up with better velocities. I was able to get 2750 fps with no signs of pressure. I did struggle with availability at the time with the 162eldx. I switched to the 150eldx which are stocked locally for me. I get 2850 fps. Staball 6.5. I bought a keg. All that said, I recently purchased 500 140 gamechangers for .18 a piece. I will give them a try. If I can get close to 3000 fps I'll be happy. BTW my son took an elk with the 162 at 400 yards. Complete pass thru. Blew thru one shoulder. With the 150 he shot another elk and 2 mule deer. 285-400 yards. All one shot kills. Caught one bullet in the the hide at 400 on the elk. Went thru the shoulders. All in all, the 7mm-08 has treated us good. He has commindered my tikka, so I recently put together another 7mm-08 for myself.

Yes, I wasn't going to get into that. Some individuals never check their throat depth as to when their bullet actually touches the lands. If they just seat their bullets long, when chambered the bullet gets shoved into the case causing a pressure increase. And they don't know why??
Thus far I haven't been scientific with measuring to the lands. I can't remember who started doing this, and there are several different variations, but this has worked for me.

I size a case, seat a bullet long, and color it with sharpie. Many say don't size the case so the bullet slips easy, but by sizing it I don't get any bullets stuck in the lands and its held firmly by the case so I can continue seating deeper until its off the lands.

I cycle it in the rifle and adjust the die down (re-apply sharpie) until I don't have any land marks. There are absolutely better ways to be more precise and to save time and cycles. So far this method has been simple and has enabled me to maximize seating length and provided some very good accuracy in my 7-08 and 25-284. Eventually I plan to get the hornady tool that shoves the bullet from a modified case into the lands to be more precise. but for this hunting season I will be using the cave man approach. Flame on...

Attachments

• 162 ELDX over 46.5 grns SB 6.5.jpg
    162 ELDX over 46.5 grns SB 6.5.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 08022024 2.jpg
    08022024 2.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 3

jfjohn77

FNG
Thus far I haven't been scientific with measuring to the lands. I can't remember who started doing this, and there are several different variations, but this has worked for me.

I size a case, seat a bullet long, and color it with sharpie. Many say don't size the case so the bullet slips easy, but by sizing it I don't get any bullets stuck in the lands and its held firmly by the case so I can continue seating deeper until its off the lands.

I cycle it in the rifle and adjust the die down (re-apply sharpie) until I don't have any land marks. There are absolutely better ways to be more precise and to save time and cycles. So far this method has been simple and has enabled me to maximize seating length and provided some very good accuracy in my 7-08 and 25-284. Eventually I plan to get the hornady tool that shoves the bullet from a modified case into the lands to be more precise. but for this hunting season I will be using the cave man approach. Flame on...
That works. It's just important to know where you are in relation to the lands. You seem to be doing all the right things judging from your results. This is very important when someone is pushing the edge of the pressure envelope. If the bullet get pushed into the case, it will cause an unexpected pressure spike.

Last edited:
I skipped all 6 pages so if I repeat already said info... my bad. I have a 22" tikka in 7mm-08. I went down the heavy for caliber rabbit hole. Staball 6.5 is the powder you want to use l, unless you go the f class route with a 30" tube. Then varget gets the nod. I never used the 162 eldms just the 162eldx. I think the eldms have a lower bearing surface and end up with better velocities. I was able to get 2750 fps with no signs of pressure. I did struggle with availability at the time with the 162eldx. I switched to the 150eldx which are stocked locally for me. I get 2850 fps. Staball 6.5. I bought a keg. All that said, I recently purchased 500 140 gamechangers for .18 a piece. I will give them a try. If I can get close to 3000 fps I'll be happy. BTW my son took an elk with the 162 at 400 yards. Complete pass thru. Blew thru one shoulder. With the 150 he shot another elk and 2 mule deer. 285-400 yards. All one shot kills. Caught one bullet in the the hide at 400 on the elk. Went thru the shoulders. All in all, the 7mm-08 has treated us good. He has commindered my tikka, so I recently put together another 7mm-08 for myself.

What’s your 150 load with Sta-ball and COAL?

I’m at 2780 fps with 46.2 gr Big Game.

2850 isn’t far from my 140 AB load.

P

Last edited: