7mm-08 accubond option

NMhunter92

Lil-Rokslider
We are going to try the ELDx 150s this year. Will let you know how they turn out. Shot my oryx with an Eldx bullet and it did the job. . This ammo seems to be available in most places. Good luck

eric1115

WKR
in a 7mm-08 I really prefer the 120 ballistic tip. It is a much tougher bullet than the 140 ballistic tip and maybe even a better hunting bullet than the 140 AB too since it preforms near the same but is a little faster.
Ive been very impressed with the 120 in my son's 7mm-08. I'm still loading it mild, 2800 MV, and it's done great on the broadside 100-300 yard shots on deer in the last few years. Not very dramatic kills, but substantial lung damage and all pass throughs. Deer have run 50ish yards I would say, and blood trails were unimpressive but limited sample size.

This past weekend he got a very close (like 20 yard) shot on a deer as it was turning, and the bullet went in the ham, broke the rear hip, and we recovered it from the inside of the ribcage all the way at the front of the lungs. Cup and what was left of the core were together but not really attached (guessing about 50% total weight retention?), but 30ish inches of penetration after breaking a hip is pretty impressive for a light for caliber bullet like that.

I had picked up some 150gr precision hunter factory ammo for him to shoot if we had an opportunity for an elk, but he ended up using a different rifle when he killed a cow two years ago. Based on the last couple years' deer experience, I'm actually pretty comfortable with him using that bullet/load on elk now.

Afhunter1

WKR
Ive been very impressed with the 120 in my son's 7mm-08. I'm still loading it mild, 2800 MV, and it's done great on the broadside 100-300 yard shots on deer in the last few years. Not very dramatic kills, but substantial lung damage and all pass throughs. Deer have run 50ish yards I would say, and blood trails were unimpressive but limited sample size.

This past weekend he got a very close (like 20 yard) shot on a deer as it was turning, and the bullet went in the ham, broke the rear hip, and we recovered it from the inside of the ribcage all the way at the front of the lungs. Cup and what was left of the core were together but not really attached (guessing about 50% total weight retention?), but 30ish inches of penetration after breaking a hip is pretty impressive for a light for caliber bullet like that.

I had picked up some 150gr precision hunter factory ammo for him to shoot if we had an opportunity for an elk, but he ended up using a different rifle when he killed a cow two years ago. Based on the last couple years' deer experience, I'm actually pretty comfortable with him using that bullet/load on elk now.
That bullet and the 95 grain 6mm ballistic tip were made heavier than most other NBT’s. You can kill whatever with both easily. Some ballistic tests show these bullets out penetrate accubonds in same caliber.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
That bullet and the 95 grain 6mm ballistic tip were made heavier than most other NBT’s. You can kill whatever with both easily. Some ballistic tests show these bullets out penetrate accubonds in same caliber.
I have seen this noted a few times before on different threads about certain ballistic tips. Is there a full rundown of the ones in the same caliber that are made heavier? I’ve tried to find it and track it down with no luck but would sure like to know which ones are which? Thanks!

Afhunter1

WKR
I have seen this noted a few times before on different threads about certain ballistic tips. Is there a full rundown of the ones in the same caliber that are made heavier? I’ve tried to find it and track it down with no luck but would sure like to know which ones are which? Thanks!
I know of the 95gr 6mm and the 120gr 7mm and don't know of any others but there could be. I do believe I heard something about a .338 being really tough too but I don't remember. I shoot that 120NBT in 7mm-08 up to 280ai and it's a hammer. If I was shooting looong range I'd prob pick the TMK but out to 600 and in its a great bullet. I hope to gain more experience with the 6mm offering this year as I just got a Seekins Havak Element in 6 Creed and then ordered 500 of the 95 grainers to try. I only know about them anecdotally. I also plan to use the TMK in that 6 creed but as a further distance bullet.

140 AB, 225 yards

F5BB37F1-97C7-46A0-AE93-5442A46E3047.jpeg

140 Partition, 346 yards

26F8618A-CB34-4F98-AE80-9E5A879DC768.jpeg

140 Partition, 68 yards (he dropped as fast/faster than just about any bull I’ve killed)

202B7D7E-4CE8-4455-9AF9-34BA7552F0D9.jpeg

150 Eldx, 409 yards

5806FC62-3D04-449D-ACB8-1EC751317C38.jpeg

Two things:
Which bullet shoots best? AB, BT, PT, Eldx?

Which bullet can you find in sufficient quantities?

Pick a bullet you can buy, find a load (140 starting around 2870 or so, 150 at 2790 or so), then shoot as much as you can. Placement matters the most. Proper construction is essential but nothing matters if you don’t hit them right. And that’s a function of practice, which includes bullet availability.

No deer or antelope pics, we have waaaay too many of those, and really deer and antelope die pretty easy.

The Mighty -08 is a killing machine.

P

Attachments

• 490C7453-8159-4773-911C-035801001A00.jpeg
    490C7453-8159-4773-911C-035801001A00.jpeg
    335.7 KB · Views: 8

Vern400

WKR
I suggest trying 140 gr Sierra Gamekings if you can find them. They shoot consistently well in everything I have tried them in. They are a good cup and core bullet, not a premium bullet like the Accubonds, but should do just fine on deer/black bear/pronghorn. I might be less inclined to use them on elk. GKs are 1/2 the price of Accubonds and were available several months ago although I don't see anything in .284 available now. Sierra ProHunters (flat base) are another good option. 140 gr in .284 are currently available from SSM Ammo.

ABs don't seem to be in production for some reason. I have not seen any come on the market in over a year in any caliber except possibly 6.5mm. I ended up going with 120 gr Hammer Hunters in my 7-08 because they were available and the chatter on the forums said they shot well. They do indeed shoot well from my rifle but I have yet to shoot any game with them.
I agree completely. For deer size game the SBT game kings are very accurate and no worries about performance on impact. Near match accuracy. They just ain't real purty. Try Sierra direct, plus your regular shops.