7 SAUM bullet recommendations

Well I just went to buy more bullets for the season and discovered that Badlands Precision was no longer in business. Their owner passed away which is really sad.

I really fell in love with their 150gr bulldozer II’s in my 7 SAUM. Just this week I did a little load development and got them to 2995 FPS under 58.0 gr of H4350 in a SAAMI chamber out of a 22” barrel comfortably. I had been shooting them at 56.5 and 2906 FPS previously.

Regardless of the fact, I need a new bullet for this season and I don’t have a ton of time for load development.

I’ve used hammers before but their BC was abysmal, well below advertising. I don’t put everything into BC, but it was bad enough I won’t be going back.

I swore off ELD-X’s after a bad experience, but that was with a slightly smaller caliber. They do shoot well though and are affordable. I’m open to giving them another go. That experience very well might not have been due to the bullet, though that’s my suspicion.

I really don’t love the idea of Bergers, but again they are excellent shooters. I just generally prefer traditional controlled expansion bonded or copper solid bullet on bigger game like elk. That said, I’m open to giving them a shot.

I tried ABLR’s when the rifle was new, but they just didn’t shoot well.

Rifle is as follows, 22” Short Action SAAMI chambered 1/8.

I would prefer to stick with H4350 as I have over 10 lbs of it on hand and it’s also my go to for several other calibers. However I do have some H4381 available as well.

I hunt elk most often but occasionally mule deer and antelope. Though I usually will swap to my 6.5 barrel for antelope. I like to say my max range is about 500-600 yards, but this is entirely conditions dependent. I’ve passed on much closer shots and could be tempted by longer if conditions and animal behavior is ideal.

I’m open to anything really. I’d love to hear your experiences, and if anyone has a similar rifle what your load data is.

Thanks!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I was shooting 162 ELDXs out of a Tikka 7 SAUM past 1,200 yards accurately. The damage it did to the insides of a mule deer at 750 yards was impressive.

I probably have a bunch of these sitting around that I could sell you cheap if you want to try them.

Chad E

WKR
I've had great success with a 180 berger hybrid out if a 20 inch barrel 7 saum but I'd imagine that's a bit long for a short action. If I went lighter I'd look at the 162 grain eldm it looks promising in some initial load development.

OP
B
I've had great success with a 180 berger hybrid out if a 20 inch barrel 7 saum but I'd imagine that's a bit long for a short action. If I went lighter I'd look at the 162 grain eldm it looks promising in some initial load development.
I was just scoping Bergers website and I’m intrigued by the 175 gr Elite Hunters.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve killed a pile of stuff with the 180 eldms.

Cutting edge makes a 145gr bullet that would probably be very similar to the badlands.

Hunters don’t let hunters use hammers…

Barnes LRX 145 grain, ADG brass, H4831SC, Defiance AntiX (short action), 22” Bartlein Gain Twist Barrel (1:9.5 to 1:8.5) …. has been a good combination for me.

OP
B
Have had great results with Unknown Munitions Berger 175 Elite Hunters
I’m strongly considering these.

I’ve sworn off Bergers for a while, but I used some 77gr Bergers hog hunting this spring and the results were… Impressive.

I like traditional controlled expansion bullets for larger animals like elk, as I value complete penetration, but there is something to the Berger “philosophy” so to speak.

I do know that F-class shooters have a love affair with 180gr Bergers under H4350 out of the SAUM. On paper it’s too fast of a powder for bullets that heavy, but it seems to win a lot of matches.

DosAmigos

FNG
I’m strongly considering these.

I’ve sworn off Bergers for a while, but I used some 77gr Bergers hog hunting this spring and the results were… Impressive.

I like traditional controlled expansion bullets for larger animals like elk, as I value complete penetration, but there is something to the Berger “philosophy” so to speak.

I do know that F-class shooters have a love affair with 180gr Bergers under H4350 out of the SAUM. On paper it’s too fast of a powder for bullets that heavy, but it seems to win a lot of matches.
I'm not a reloader as I do not have the time nor the equipment to reload. I have had great results with the Berger 175 as I mentioned on scimitar oryx and nilgai. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a elk with them that being said. I have also had great results with the Berger 77 OTM Tactical out of my 22 creed from whitetail to hogs.

OP
B
I'm not a reloader as I do not have the time nor the equipment to reload. I have had great results with the Berger 175 as I mentioned on scimitar oryx and nilgai. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot an elk with them that being said. I have also had great results with the Berger 77 OTM Tactical out of my 22 creed from whitetail to hogs.
Yeah I was gonna go that route but googling around this afternoon the 175gr Elite Hunters were out of stock everywhere.

Several years ago I swore off ELD-X’s but I just bought a box of 162s and 175s to try. I still have some hesitation but at least they are available and affordable, not to mention accurate and the published BC’s match reality.

Probably need at least 2.950 mag length to make the 145 CEB lazers work without stuffing the drive band in the neck. Without constraints I end up around 2.980 COAL with them.

Mcguire ballistics 143 is another mono option.

I hunted with 175 ELDx in my SAUM, worked well enough for the season i used it (elk, sheep, wolf). Haven't shot any animals with it since.

JoeB

Lil-Rokslider
160 accubond is a great choice. Im running them at 3050 out of a 24' barrel