7 mag or is PRC actually better?

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
I’d keep what you already have and not worry about the slight performance you might be missing. Unless you are simply trying to maximize long range target performance. The 7RM will have better availability to pick up at the store, and is just as capable for hunting if you are already proficient with it. If I was in your shoes and just wanting a new flatter/faster cartridge, in addition to the 7RM I’d be looking at a 6.5CM, 6.5PRC or 26 Nosler (likely in that order for cost/purpose) for something different.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
No reason to change unless you want to. The 7 prc is not better, it is just different. The 7 mag will also perform well with lighter bullets than the 7 prc with long throat and fast twist may not (from terminal performance standpoint, not accuracy). To some folks only BC matters and in that regard 7prc tough to beat

Lou

Ithaca37

FNG
Unless you're regularly shooting at 500 yards or further, I don't see a reason to go away from 7mm Rem Mag. On the other hand, if you are shooting at 500+ yards, absolutely I see the advantages of the 7 PRC.

Torrey in Tahoe

Lil-Rokslider
If you already have a Rem Mag, focus on burning out that barrel. I'll consider the PRC when my 7RM barrel is done, but my decision will be solely based on which cartridge has better availability/prices on ammo or components at that time.

In terms of performance, an apples-to-apples comparison would be to look at the 7PRC shooting 175 ELD-X (G1=0.689, G7 = 0.347) at 3,000 fps vs. a 7RM shooting 162 ELD-X (G1 = 0.631, G7 = 0.318) at 2,940 fps. If availability/price is exactly the same, I might go PRC as it performs better slightly. But in the real world, the performance difference isn't really worth talking about.
Curious why you say 2940? Is that at optimal velocity for the 162 eldx? Reason I ask is I'm working up a load for that bullet and it seems like my groups fall apart at higher velocity.

The 162gr ELD-M bullet is a much better bullet than the 162gr eld-x.

I haven't hunted with my 7prc yet. Hopefully I'll draw a tag and get a chance. My 7RM will be there as backup.

MarkOrtiz

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for a higher powered rifle than my .270 win. I am looking at the 7mm PRC over the 7mm RM, but it barely wins over it for me. If I already had the 7mm RM, I wouldn't even be looking at a change.

pucmw11

FNG
I'd rather reload for the PRC.
Yep, this is what calls to me too. The non-belted reloadability is nice. Not to say people haven't been reloading 7mm rem mag forever, but the 7prc is just designed for it. Which is nice since so few make good factory offerings for it yet.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 7mm RM and it's a favorite, a really great rifle and chambering. Still, I like the PRC so I decided to build one. I think the RM is great for most deer hunting (and elk) with bullets in the 150-160 range, it's really hard to beat.

The PRC is in another class with 175s, the high BC bullets really help when range gets beyond 250+ yards. The RM can be loaded with heavy bullets but it's not ideal. I think the PRC really shines as an elk / mule deer cartridge much like the 300 WM with less recoil and better BC bullets.

This is the one I put together.

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
Little late to the party here. 2 things that could help the 7rm mag over the 7 prc
- more options with faster twist barrels from factor, example remington is offering 1-8 twist on teh 7rem mag now
- more options with faster twist barrels will give more options for commercial avialable ammunition. if the 1-8 twist factory offerings takes off, then more higher BC/heavier bullets will be available. based on information from federal, nosler, and hornady reps talking abot it

2 things better on the 7PRC,
-bullet seating depth
- more efficient

really other than that, if you have both in 1-8 twist, shooting 24 or 26" barrels shooting 175 or 180g handloads, the velocity is pretty much similar. the PRC will do it with just slightly less powder.
the consumer market will be the deciding factor on the 7mm PRC dethrowning the king of the 7's but right now some gun makers are trying to keep it at the top with faster barrel twist.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I used my 7 PRC for the first time this year, shot a doe at 115 yards, bullet (175 ELDX) performed as expected. I really like the PRC but mostly think it's overkill for most deer at under 200 yards. The 7mm RM is a better fit with bullets in the 140-160 range. The PRC shines in open country with distance beyond 200 yards. My 7mm RM has been a trusty companion on many hunts and has never let me down but I'm pretty sure most of my future 7mm hunting ( I also use a 308 and 6.5 CM these days) will be with the PRC.

No reason to change unless you want to. The 7 prc is not better, it is just different. The 7 mag will also perform well with lighter bullets than the 7 prc with long throat and fast twist may not (from terminal performance standpoint, not accuracy). To some folks only BC matters and in that regard 7prc tough to beat

Lou
Does the 7MM PRC reduce barrel life with that extra pressure? Thanks.

Was talking to RBros rifles yesterday and he said with hand loads they get better performance out of the regular 7 Mag. They are pushing 180 Bergers at around 3,000fps with the 7 Mag. They can not get that kind of velocity out of the 7 PRC without the accuracy falling apart.
He said the factory Hornady 7 PRC 175 ELD-X ammo is chronoing right at 2887fps.
He said it does shoot well at that velocity but that’s closer to 280 AI velocity.
I’m just repeating what I was told from someone who has built a ton of 7 PRCs and 7 Mags.

Anyway they are both great cartridges, but I wouldn’t re-barrel a 7 Mag for a 7 PRC.

gbflyer

WKR
Was talking to RBros rifles yesterday and he said with hand loads they get better performance out of the regular 7 Mag. They are pushing 180 Bergers at around 3,000fps with the 7 Mag. They can not get that kind of velocity out of the 7 PRC without the accuracy falling apart.
He said the factory Hornady 7 PRC 175 ELD-X ammo is chronoing right at 2887fps.
He said it does shoot well at that velocity but that’s closer to 280 AI velocity.
I’m just repeating what I was told from someone who has built a ton of 7 PRCs and 7 Mags.

Anyway they are both great cartridges, but I wouldn’t re-barrel a 7 Mag for a 7 PRC.

How long of a barrel with the 7RM? I recall 2850 out of a 28” barrel was max for mine. Not that I disagree, I think the 7PRC is redundant as are many others. Sells more ammo and new rifles though.

I believe he is talking about a 26” barrel.
I seem to remember velocities around 3,025fps w/ the 168 Berger and 2925fps with the 180 out of a 7 Mag I used to have.
I know the guys at Hill Country Rifle love the 7 PRC.

I really like the big 7s and I’m sure the new PRC is great, I’ve heard it does well with shorter barrels, but as I mentioned I don’t think you would gain much, if anything over a 7 Mag.

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
So if comparing reloading for a 1-8 RM to a Prc in something like a 700 action that is 3.7" or even an xbolt is there still a big positive for prc over rem mag? One you contend with a unused belt the other has possible clicker issues from what I understand. PRC is more efficient, RM done properly has higher top end? Or if done properly does it come down to more than one way to skin the same cat?