6mm cartridges

I'm not very knowledgeable on 6mm cartridges but I'm thinking if I get another rifle anytime soon, I want a 6mm. I don't currently have a 223 and don't want one because I don't want to also have to source SRP. I figure 6mm is small as I can go and use LRP and hunt elk with the right bullet to a decent distance. Max distance for my game shooting is ~600ish

I'd like one that:

- Has good quality brass availability
- Has good factory ammunition options (not necessarily super high BC bullets but a decent number of brands and bullet types)
- is middle of road for capacity to bore, similar to an '06

I'm not sure if such a cartridge currently exists. I think the 6xc is probably closest performance wise, but there's very little factory ammo support. 6 creedmore exists but it's close to 243win in overbore rating and not sure how common factory ammo is for that either.

Thoughts?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I'm not sure if such a cartridge currently exists. I think the 6xc is probably closest performance wise, but there's very little factory ammo support. 6 creedmore exists but it's close to 243win in overbore rating and not sure how common factory ammo is for that either.

The 243 win, 6XC, and 6cm are all the same performance. The 6cm is the only one that meets your requirements and there’s no objective reason to suggest another.

OP
H
there’s no objective reason to suggest another.

I assume you mean performance wise? I was thinking the 243win has a larger capacity than the other two. Tikkas twist on their 243 is very slow and the 6cm and 6xc would require less case trimming due to shoulder angle.

Those items make the 243win less appealing.

I assume you mean performance wise? I was thinking the 243win has a larger capacity than the other two. Tikkas twist on their 243 is very slow and the 6cm and 6xc would require less case trimming due to shoulder angle.

I’m not sure if anyone has seen them physically yet, but tikka’s website now says that all their 243s are 1:8twist now. If that’s true it’s likely your answer for a factory gun.

6mm CM has better factory ammo selection with modern bullets, but until tikka/sako chamber one personally I’d go aftermarket barrel on a tikka action.

6mm GT might be what you’re looking for performance wise since it’s not over ore but there is only one factory loading (although it is a very good load) and no factory guns that I can think of.

Or you might be okay with a little less performance and get a Howa mini in 6mm ARC.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

MV wise they are identical for all intents and purposes.

I like the 6xc and it is an excellent cartridge, but I was just addressing that of your list, the only 6mm cartridge that meets it is the 6cm and maybe the 6ARC. Makes it easy to choose in that case.

BjornF16

WKR
I’m not sure if anyone has seen them physically yet, but tikka’s website now says that all their 243s are 1:8twist now. If that’s true it’s likely your answer for a factory gun.
I fondled several Tikka T3X in .243 Win this past week at Scheels…none of them listed the twist on the barrel. All the 6.5 CM’s and PRC’s had twist rate engraved on barrel.

Guess I should’ve asked to see box

I fondled several Tikka T3X in .243 Win this past week at Scheels…none of them listed the twist on the barrel. All the 6.5 CM’s and PRC’s had twist rate engraved on barrel.

Guess I should’ve asked to see box
Probably 1-10 for 85 ish grain bullets.