6mm /.243 hunting success on Big Game

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
That one was two inches, yes. The other two impacts at 225 and 125 yards were smaller.

Did you look at the organs inside the cavity?

So would you recommend another bullet for this purpose? This is a 6ARC cut to 18".

Depends. The 103gr ELD-X might offer a bit more upset at lower impacts. The 95gr TMK is perfect (but can’t get it). Antelope are an animal where I try to limit how much damage a bullet does, so for me- not really.

Would I see a larger wound channel on an elk? This is pretty much going to make the decision on whether to carry this for my wife to kill her first this year. She is hugely confident with this rifle (especially after this weekend) so I'd like to make it work.

In general- yes. Though, as stated the 103gr ELD-X is good too.

Edit: Above answers half my question. Thanks Form.

No problem. I don’t think you have an issue based on what you’ve posted, just that ELD-M’s do not “explode” at lower impact velocities as some think.

khuber84

WKR
I've witnessed Antelope run a long ways with softball sized exit woulds from 28N my buddy used to shoot. The bullet didn't frag till late and it'd get an offside lung, pretty much remove it from the body. I've chased them down better part of a mile, 1 lung, very little blood left inside. When the adrenaline is up, those sheep can still travel fast with trauma in the vitals.

Marshfly

WKR
Did you look at the organs inside the cavity?

Depends. The 103gr ELD-X might offer a bit more upset at lower impacts. The 95gr TMK is perfect (but can’t get it). Antelope are an animal where I try to limit how much damage a bullet does, so for me- not really.

In general- yes. Though, as stated the 103gr ELD-X is good too.

No problem. I don’t think you have an issue based on what you’ve posted, just that ELD-M’s do not “explode” at lower impact velocities as some think.
Thank you for the detailed response. I'm terrible concerned about a little running with antelope. I mean, you can watch them. LOL. Totally agree with trying to limit damage. We love the meat and saving as much of that as possible is key.

I'll see what I get with accuracy with the ELDX. Might get a little more velocity there also.

Aren’t speed goats the fastest land animal over sustained distance? Cheetah are 70 in short burst but antelope 50 + for a couple miles.
I believe that's correct, and they're the last surviving member of their species. They're not in the goat or antelope families. I was on a work trip in a 40' moving truck 20 years ago in SW WY and had a herd running 50+ next to the truck in the ditch for at least a mile. I was just feathering the gas trying avoid a collision while trying to figure out if they were going to cross in front of me. That loaded down truck wasn't going to outrun them.

Last edited:
I love antelope meat so much. The less damage the better for Me for fear of ruining some Meat. Ha

I think the 108 eldms going faster will have more upset and preform to what your wanting. When I’ve shot them with my 6 creed (going faster than the arc) the 108’s didn’t exit typically and the antelope don’t make it far.

Last edited: