6cm vs 6arc

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I have been reading the 223 thread for months and have been convinced I need a lighter recoiling rifle. However I'm struggling to make a decision and would like some input on helping me make an informed decision. I live in Oregon so there is a minimum caliber requirement of .24 for elk so the .223 is out. I'm not very knowledgeable about firearms however own a few and have been shooting consistently for the past 5/6 years. I own a 6.5cm, a 308 and a 7RM and all three are bolt action and have suppressors. I've read that I could turn my 308 (Christensen Mesa) into 6cm or 6arc, is this accurate and what would be involved to make that happen?

My criteria for this rifle are
Something with less recoil than my current rifles, both of these calibers seem to address that. Spotting impacts consistently would be great

I don't hand load and don't plan to anytime soon, so factory ammo is important. The 6arc doesn't seem to have a great deal of options but considering what I've read in other threads and heard on podcasts I plan to switch to a match style bullet of which there seems to be regular availability of.

I will probably putting this rifle in a Rokstok

I shoot 500-700 rounds a year between my three rifles, I assume that means barrel life shouldn't be a big deciding factor so the 6cm is still a good option

This will be a hunting rifle for deer, elk and bear. Seems like both are capable of this with correct shot placement and a good bullet

My self imposed limit in the mountains is 500 yards however I do shoot out to 700 at my local range. Again seems like both are capable of this

A shorter barrel would be preferred as I plan to be putting a suppressor on it, I know length affects velocity which affects bullet performance but not sure how to determine how short I can go with each of these calibers

Is there another caliber that would be better suited to my needs that I should be considering?

Marshfly

WKR
I do know that I just bought Factory ELDM for my new 6ARC and I was able to find it for the same price as 223 ELDM using ammoseek. 6Creed would be significantly more per box.

eric1115

WKR
Something to be aware of is that the ARC is a smaller bolt face, so there's we work involved there. Magazine feeding also is probably going to take work to make it reliable.

6CM is a barrel swap and that's about it. As much as I like the 6mm ARC, the CM is a more straightforward path if you're set on converting your existing rifle.

I have heard the 6 and 6.5 have very similar recoil which would make sense as they are using about the same amount of powder, I believe. The 6 ARC would probably give you noticeable recoil reduction over the 6.5. Using the ELD-M though the listed velocity falls just under 2000 fps at 500 yards from a 24" barrel. If you are looking to go shorter with a suppressor your max range may need to come down.