65 or 85 spotting scope help

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
Okay folks,
I've spent quite a bit of time reading as much as I can and I've narrowed the next addition to my optics down to either the Vortex Razor 65 or the 85mm spotter. This is my first post on here aside from the intro and I made sure to read up as much as I can to try to answer the question myself before posting and while I've got most of the way on my own through the forums I have a few specifics I'd love some input on from anyone who has anything positive to offer, both regarding these two spotters as well as on my optics setup in general. I will try to provide the important information regarding my current setup and goals so you get the feel what I'm working with and what I'm trying to do.

So here's the situation - I hunt almost exclusively in southern Arizona (units 33 and 34A to be specific). Mountain brush with a lot of manzanitas and scrub brush. I hunted a lot of coues deer but have decided to focus most of my efforts on mature mule deer from now on, even though I will likely still find myself hunting coues if I pin down an exceptional buck in the areas where they live near each other. Regardless of whether I'm hunting mulies or coues I will be spending a significant amount of time and effort meticulously glassing the cover where mature deer will be. For that reason I am picking up a spotting scope and I have narrowed it down to either the 65mm or 85mm option to go along with my current glass setup - Razor 10x42s and Kaibab 15x56. Up to this point the Kaibabs have been my go-to tripod-mounted glass and I have no complaints at all. Very happy with them. But I've noticed that farther than about 600 yards I have trouble picking up the detail necessary to ID a bedded deer in cover or to accurately judge its size. This is where the spotter comes in. I want to be able to look into thicker cover to find a buck and I also want to have something that can reach a little farther than my 15s.

Ultimately your thoughts on which option you think will be better as well as any thoughts on what I'm using now are very welcome. I have decided on Vortex because of the combination of my budget and their quality. I know there are other brands out there but I will be going with a Razor model. I am okay with carrying the weight of either of these scopes on hunts I need it on. The biggest question is given what I've described above will the 27-60x85 be too much power/will the 22-48x65 leave me wishing I had gone bigger? And given my current inventory is either of the scopes a better compliment than the other? Or any other thoughts I haven't considered are welcome too.

Thanks in advance! I value the knowledge you all have to offer.

dan

amp713

WKR
Personally I went with an 85. I had a cheaper 45mm and always had it maxed out trying to see stuff and I decided I didn't want that to be an issue again. I couldn't afford a razor so I went with the vanguard HD. I also only run 10x42 binos and not a high quality pair yet. I pack in for days at a time and usually cut weight where I can but I figured the bigger spotter is worth it's weight, it could be the difference between seeing "deer" or seeing it's a small 2x2 that's not worth hiking a few miles for.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
First of all, welcome to RokSlide. great bunch of guys here with great advise and posts.

Basically you need to keep in mind that even the best spotters are only good to about 85% of their maximum power. So a 48x starts losing clarity and quality around 40/41x and a 60x at around 51x. With this in mind, if the size and weight is not an issue then I strongly suggest a 60x.

As important as the spotter is the rock solid quality of the tripod it is sitting on. If the tripod is even a tiny bit shaky than the image suffers.

As far as your choice of brands, in the $1,000.00 - $2,000.00 price range, there are many awesome choices, not that the Razor is not a great choice, just in my experience you can get the exact same optical quality in a scope with superior production quality control for less money in an Athlon Cronus, or look at a Meopta, Kowa or a Zeiss Gavia 85 also in that $1000.00 - $2,000.00 price range. Just my feeling being in the industry.

Please take a moment to read this review posted by a user on another forum, Spotting Scope Review - 24hourcampfire for no other reason than to expand your references.

If I can answer anything for you please feel free to give me a call

If you can, look at the new Nikon Monarch against the other offerings. You'll find it beats everything under $2k. Aron Snyder has one and he said it beats everything side by side under $2k as well. The glass is just better then what others have for the price.

OP
D

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies, fellas.
Going back to the original issue, the conclusion I'm beginning to come to is that a larger scope in the 85mm and 60x magnification will not be too much (i.e.. overkill) when it comes to picking apart the cover in search of bucks as opposed to a scope in the 48 magnification range of the same quality. The point in using a high magnification and good quality spotting scope is for getting a close look into that cover without having to get closer and risk spooking one of those crafty and wary old bucks. My 10s and 15s will remain the primary work horse optics.
Thanks again guys.

Thanks for the replies, fellas.
Going back to the original issue, the conclusion I'm beginning to come to is that a larger scope in the 85mm and 60x magnification will not be too much (i.e.. overkill) when it comes to picking apart the cover in search of bucks as opposed to a scope in the 48 magnification range of the same quality. The point in using a high magnification and good quality spotting scope is for getting a close look into that cover without having to get closer and risk spooking one of those crafty and wary old bucks. My 10s and 15s will remain the primary work horse optics.
Thanks again guys.

No such thing as too much magnification when trying to size up a coues buck. You can always dial it down if needed. I'd go 60x no questions, I use my scope above 50x regularly when the heat mirage isn't too bad.

OP
D

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
No such thing as too much magnification when trying to size up a coues buck. You can always dial it down if needed. I'd go 60x no questions, I use my scope above 50x regularly when the heat mirage isn't too bad.

Very good points. I think I have my answer. Now dare I ask for guys so start recommending what brand I should buy?? lol

First of all, welcome to RokSlide. great bunch of guys here with great advise and posts.

Basically you need to keep in mind that even the best spotters are only good to about 85% of their maximum power. So a 48x starts losing clarity and quality around 40/41x and a 60x at around 51x. With this in mind, if the size and weight is not an issue then I strongly suggest a 60x.

As important as the spotter is the rock solid quality of the tripod it is sitting on. If the tripod is even a tiny bit shaky than the image suffers.

As far as your choice of brands, in the $1,000.00 - $2,000.00 price range, there are many awesome choices, not that the Razor is not a great choice, just in my experience you can get the exact same optical quality in a scope with superior production quality control for less money in an Athlon Cronus, or look at a Meopta, Kowa or a Zeiss Gavia 85 also in that $1000.00 - $2,000.00 price range. Just my feeling being in the industry.

Please take a moment to read this review posted by a user on another forum, Spotting Scope Review - 24hourcampfire for no other reason than to expand your references.

If I can answer anything for you please feel free to give me a call

You should contact Doug @ CameralandNY. A great resource with information and suggestions. He's also a great guy.

Very good points. I think I have my answer. Now dare I ask for guys so start recommending what brand I should buy?? lol

I'm in Tucson pretty regularly for work. You are welcome to peek thru my kowa 66 if you want. It's a step or 2 above the razor and has the 20-60x eyepiece

Daubsnu1

FNG
Give the Cabela's Krotos a look. It's essentially a re-branded Athlon scope.

I purchased this scope in 65mm, along with a Razor, Swaro ATS, Meopta MeoStar S2 (Cabela's branded).

The Krotos held it's own, beating the Razor in clarity and low light performance.

My full review here.

Can't beat the price.

I had my mind set on a 65mm spotter. I figured it would do about 85% of what I needed it to do. Then I came across a deal I couldn't pass up on an 80mm ATM. IMHO the 65 is the "ideal" size for almost everything. It is small enough so you always carry it, requires a smaller tripod to be study, and has enough magnification to locate game or see targets. I do use my 80 at 60x fairly often, but there are times I leave it behind because it does take up a fair amount of pack space.