60x vs 45x Spotters

Dgregory

FNG
If you had to pick one spotter for all of your hunts, what magnification range would you go with? I’m tempted to get a 20-60, but I like the weight and size of the 15-45 models. I tend to do a lot of hiking on my hunts. An extra 1.5-2lbs isn’t horrible but it certainly adds up.

I don’t mean what brands or models would you buy, although that’s always nice to hear too. I’m mainly looking for input on magnification range from experienced hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaHunter

WKR
Swaro HD 20-60 X 65mm. I have packed this spotter for several years and lots of miles. In my opinion, for what I use it for, it is the perfect compromise between weight and performance.

Of the five spotting scopes I have owned only one went higher than 45x. I seem to use around 30x the most. I feel anything over 40x is pretty well useless in bright light because it picks up so many heat waves. In perfect conditions, think cool cloudy days 60x is useable. Now that said, I imagine that a Swarovski or top end Kowa could be a different story. The only scope I owned that went to 60x was the original B&L, Discoverer so 35 year old tech. My opinion would be unless it is top shelf glass 40-45x is about the reasonable limit of useful. What you are planning to use this spotter for will help decide what to buy as well. Pentax PF 65 ED A2 would be my choice if only one scope.

Last edited:
In my experience, you need both a large objective and good lighting conditions to use the 45-60x. A 77mm is about the lower limit for me.

It begs the question of why do you need that much magnification? That would be an important question to answer for yourself because to get useable 45-60x it’s going to be expensive and heavy.

As an owner of a STX 65/95 and a Kowa 554 I know this: there is no perfect compromise that works well enough for all hunting conditions in all terrains in all weather conditions. Also no matter the spotting scope, or binoculars for that matter, there will always be times that you wish for "more".

Using optics to find game is my preferred hunting method. I also only use my spotting scopes for confirmations and not for glassing. So take that into consideration with what I have to say.

Sell unused gear, save up more money, and do things properly. With minimal effort last year you could have bought a Kowa 55x and Kowa 77x for about $3.1K total or a Kowa 55x and (now old version) Kowa 88x for about $3.3K total.
----
My Kowa 554 (15-x45x) does very well when the distances are "shorter", vegetation is not as thick or tall, and the animals are larger. This is the spotter that I grab when hunting black bear in AZ in all the various habitats that they occupy. This is the spotter that I very happily took to Kodiak to hunt mountain goat; compared very favorably to an older STS and was no issue field judging brown bear at distance and blacktail at more traditional distances. This spotter has supplanted my STX 65 for a lot of my hunts. But it is not the spotting scope that I would rely up when chasing Coues whitetail and mule deer in the desert.

My STX 65 (25-60x) is twice the weight as my Kowa 554; it does "more" but not "that" much more. If hunting sheep, this is the spotter that I take. If chasing deer in the AZ desert, this is more often the spotter that I bring a long. As the big "compromise" this spotter is now my least used (but still won't part ways with it).

My STX 95 (30-70x) is a beast but the view is awesome. When I am scouting in open-ish terrain, this is likely the spotter that I grab. When I am helping out on a hunt where camp is not on my back and the terrain is "open-ish", this is likely the spotter that I grab. When I am specially going after B&C deer in the desert, this is the spotter that I grab. If camp is on my back, this heavy SOB stays home. Also is too much for closer-in work.

OP
Dgregory

Dgregory

FNG
Thanks for all of the input! Love getting views from people who have a lot more experience than I do.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What price range are you looking in? The Swarovski is a great option, if you're looking in that range. In the under $1,000 range I'd suggest looking at either the Athlon Ares 15-45x65 UHD Spotters or the Hawke Endurance ED 20-60x68 Spotting Scope
It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

OP
Dgregory

Dgregory

FNG
Thanks Doug! I think I’ll be ordering the Ares while it’s still on sale. I appreciate the help.

OP
Dgregory

Dgregory

FNG
Got the Ares order this evening. Anxious to try it out. In the meantime I'll start saving up for a high-end spotter in the higher mag range.

OP
Dgregory

Dgregory

FNG
Do you know if the magview S1 will fit on the Ares spotter?

I’ll put a caliper on the eyecup as soon as it comes in. S1 fits anything between 2-2.36” so I bet there’s a good chance it’ll fit. I was looking at the Ollin but they don’t make a model that’s a direct fit for the ares and I don’t want to play the guessing game. I’m glad you brought this up. I’m hoping it works out!

TXHunt

FNG
I’ll put a caliper on the eyecup as soon as it comes in. S1 fits anything between 2-2.36” so I bet there’s a good chance it’ll fit. I was looking at the Ollin but they don’t make a model that’s a direct fit for the ares and I don’t want to play the guessing game. I’m glad you brought this up. I’m hoping it works out!

I called Athlon and Magview. Looks like it should work. I went ahead and placed the order for the spotter while its on sale!!

OP
Dgregory

Dgregory

FNG
Just to confirm, I measured the eyepiece of the Ares and it comes out to 2.08" so it should work just fine. I'm going to place an order for the S1 too.

OP
Dgregory

Dgregory

FNG
Also, a sort of nice surprise came with the Athlon spotter. It ended up coming with a neoprene sleeve. I say sort of because the fit is garbage. If you extend it enough to take out the slack then you can’t access the lens cover or you’re covering up the diopter. Either way, part of the focus ring is covered.
c86879cd212b1c32caa891ef9b4677b1.jpg

faef3f7cda7825b407ee36fe481c321e.jpg

TXHunt

FNG
Also, a sort of nice surprise came with the Athlon spotter. It ended up coming with a neoprene sleeve. I say sort of because the fit is garbage. If you extend it enough to take out the slack then you can’t access the lens cover or you’re covering up the diopter. Either way, part of the focus ring is covered.
c86879cd212b1c32caa891ef9b4677b1.jpg

faef3f7cda7825b407ee36fe481c321e.jpg

Man that is awesome! Mine should be here tomorrow. I hope it comes with that cover.

OP
Dgregory

Dgregory

FNG
Quick update. I got the Magview S1 in today, and its a little tricky getting it to mount flush with the eyepiece so that the picture stays in focus. I found that it's easier to tap the screen so the phone focuses instead of using the focus ring.

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Can you guys that just got the Athlons let us know what you think about them? I’m considering the same one. Thanks.

IMO, the 65mm is a good all around purpose spotter without the heavyweight anchor on your back if you're hiking around the mountains and not overly focused on trophy quality. I ran the little Kowa 554 (55mm) last season and it was nice, superlight, decent glass but hated the eye relief, sold it. You do give up some light gathering capabilities early/late in the day with a smaller spotter. Let your style of hunting, application, budget decide which size/quality spotter to go with. You can always save your pennies and upgrade down the road.

My hunting experience has been Alaska since the mid-'70's. Everything from sheep to goats to brown bear to moose, caribou and Sitka blacktails. It's RARE that calm winds and thermal distortion enable useful viewing much above 40-45X. For sheep and goats I'd lean toward an option with higher magnification just because you're trying to judge very minute differences in head gear. But for most any other hunting I've ever done a spotter that tops out around 45 or so is fine.