6 PRC reloading

MT_Wyatt

WKR
A friend and I are having some 6 PRC barrels spun up, because we cannot control ourselves, and have magnum bolt faces to mess with. Barrel blanks are headed to the smith now.

Thought I'd get a bit started with a dedicated thread on loads for this wildcat. We're using lapua brass. Lots of RL23 and N565 on hand we're hoping to use, but N570 could be entertained.

To start, we've got 108 ELDMs, way more 105 Berger HTs than is reasonable, 400 105 barnes match burners, and 108 Berger EHs. Matchburners to get things rolling, with hunting loads planned for the Berger 105s or 108s, unless we just cannot ignore how well the ELDMs do.

For those of you using 6 PRC, please share what you've had good luck with, and we'll plan on doing the same!

huntnful

WKR
Pretty much everything shot good near the lands. .010 off or .010 jam. I run a .2425 mandrel for the ELDM's. But bergers don't seem to mind a smaller mandrel and more NT.

Also freebore made a huge difference in my charge weights and pressures. So start low.

mddat

FNG
Just got all my parts and components for a 6 prc build, just waiting on my reamer from Manson. In the mean time have being looking for some load data so this is perfect, mostly have 108 ELDM, also have some 108eh to try and some 115 Dtacs

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
N565 was the ticket in my 6 PRC 112 matchburners @3150 out of 20” barrel on 2x fired lapua brass now. I’d recommend starting at 56gr and working up from there to find pressure.
appreciate that share, very much the kind of answer we are hoping for!

Have you put those 112s into an animal? We've got some 105 match burners for intial loads/practice, looking at 108 elite hunters at the moment for our hunting loads.

I have a 17" 5 groove 7.5t barrel from PBB. Shooting the 109 eldm, near the lands like i always start. Necked down ADG brass. I went up to 60gr with both n570 and n565 and tried both br2 and fed 215 primers. Zero pressure with any of the loads, had better ES with br2's and way more speed with n565(3100 vs 2930) so im gonna load up more of that combo, probably 60.5gr tonight and go shoot tomorrow.

Was gonna try rl26 too cause i have a shitload of that as well, but if the n565 does well i may stick with that for this season since its been more temp stable for me

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Please keep this thread updated. The 6PRC is definitely a carriage I am keeping my eyes on.

I'm hoping someone with more familiarity on this than myself can help get me squared away with necking brass down. Using 6.5 PRC Lapua brass, Redding bushing die (.270) in a single pass. What am I doing wrong that's causing this flare out at the case mouth? The bushing has a tiny little bit of wiggle room in the die per Redding instruction and the 6.5 expander ball is removed. Bushing numbers are facing down as well per some recommendation I read online. I bottomed the die out on the shell holder then backed off 1/4 turn. Any insight into this issue would be greatly appreciated.

mddat

FNG
I'm hoping someone with more familiarity on this than myself can help get me squared away with necking brass down. Using 6.5 PRC Lapua brass, Redding bushing die (.270) in a single pass. What am I doing wrong that's causing this flare out at the case mouth? The bushing has a tiny little bit of wiggle room in the die per Redding instruction and the 6.5 expander ball is removed. Bushing numbers are facing down as well per some recommendation I read online. I bottomed the die out on the shell holder then backed off 1/4 turn. Any insight into this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Funny I was just mocking up some rounds yesterday and had the same thing happen with lapua and Redding dies, when I do a single pass with my .270 bushing it looks like yours, almost like a trumpet. Once I run it over my .2415 mandrel and open it up the neck is fine and no more flaring. I then tried doing 2 passes with a .280 and then .270 bushing and it doesn’t flare out at the neck opening but after running it over the mandrel it has pretty bad concentricity, single pass is much better.
@Elk Chaser are you using a expander mandrel to set final neck tension or just the neck bushing?

Funny I was just mocking up some rounds yesterday and had the same thing happen with lapua and Redding dies, when I do a single pass with my .270 bushing it looks like yours, almost like a trumpet. Once I run it over my .2415 mandrel and open it up the neck is fine and no more flaring. I then tried doing 2 passes with a .280 and then .270 bushing and it doesn’t flare out at the neck opening but after running it over the mandrel it has pretty bad concentricity, single pass is much better.
@Elk Chaser are you using a expander mandrel to set final neck tension or just the neck bushing?
Interesting, maybe @huntnful can fill us both in lol. I didn't have any plans on using an expander mandrel but if that's what it's going to take to pull that out then I suppose it is what it is. Curious if this would wind up being an every time deal or if a little work hardening will keep it from happening after first firing.

huntnful

WKR
Interesting, maybe @huntnful can fill us both in lol. I didn't have any plans on using an expander mandrel but if that's what it's going to take to pull that out then I suppose it is what it is. Curious if this would wind up being an every time deal or if a little work hardening will keep it from happening after first firing.
Did you chamfer the case mouth prior to sizing?

I use an SAC shoulder/neck bushing and I absolutely think that aids in the smooth transition with one pass as well based off the integrated tapered design.

Did you chamfer the case mouth prior to sizing?

I use an SAC shoulder/neck bushing and I absolutely think that aids in the smooth transition with one pass as well based off the integrated tapered design.
I didn't bother chamfering considering Lapua brass is pretty typically good to go out of the box but I'll give that a shot. I wanted to get an SAC die but the bushings I was looking for were out of stock. I think I'll be picking one up once everything is back in stock!

huntnful

WKR
I didn't bother chamfering considering Lapua brass is pretty typically good to go out of the box but I'll give that a shot. I wanted to get an SAC die but the bushings I was looking for were out of stock. I think I'll be picking one up once everything is back in stock!
I would definitely put a good chamfer on the outside and slight chamfer on the inside

mullmann

Lil-Rokslider
I have 100 pieces of Lapua brass necked down, ran a mandrel thru them and chamfered. I have a 20” ACE 6 groove, 7.5 twist Remington varmint contour barrel with a 1.20 shank on order. Manzella is going to chamber it for me. I picked up some Berger 109’s to start with. I am going to run it along with my 25PRC on my Terminus Zeus QC. I am going to try N565 and H1000. I have loads worked up with N565 and H1000 in the 25 so I have an idea where I want to start with the powder charges.

I have 100 pieces of Lapua brass necked down, ran a mandrel thru them and chamfered. I have a 20” ACE 6 groove, 7.5 twist Remington varmint contour barrel with a 1.20 shank on order. Manzella is going to chamber it for me. I picked up some Berger 109’s to start with. I am going to run it along with my 25PRC on my Terminus Zeus QC. I am going to try N565 and H1000. I have loads worked up with N565 and H1000 in the 25 so I have an idea where I want to start with the powder charges.
Awesome, Mike is doing our barrels too. Everything he’s done for me has been exceptional.