6 creed load dev, what would you do?

nrspence

FNG
Did you do a latter test to see what speeds you are getting at what charge weights? Did you find any nodes, or figure out where you’re hitting pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maidenfan539

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd go with the 41 gr and get out there and practice at your max distance!

Reactions: Duh
OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
Did you do a latter test to see what speeds you are getting at what charge weights? Did you find any nodes, or figure out where you’re hitting pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Negative on any nodes. I don’t really screw around with nodes anymore. Just find a relatively higher charge weight and rock on. I haven’t found pressure yet but it’s somewhere above 41.5 grains. I’m taking the 41 grain load out on Saturday to shoot at distance. It’s going to be 93 degrees so hopefully my 41 grain load gives me no pressure signs.

JLW66

FNG
I have been loading the ARCs and 6mm and 25 creed here lately and found this post interesting in that i have noticed pressure signs earlier than expected myself. I have a 42.0 gr H4350 load for the 103 eldx for my 6mm Creeds. I shot the factory Hornady Match, Black and Precision Hunter last night and was very surprised to see scuffs on the headstamp. 70 degree temps, factory rifles. The ARCs are blowing primers before max load per the Hornady manual. Which is a whole other subject. Personally, I would go with your 41 gr load and as mentioned earlier, practice. Be safe and good luck this fall.

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
Just as a reference my PH2 in 6CM shoots lapua srp, BR4, 39.4 gn H4350, 109 LRHT at 2965 FPS, and over a 20 shot group single digit SD and .7" group.
I’m going to have to get some SRP brass at some point. I really want to shoot a CCI 450 with a vmax for coyotes

Lawnboi

WKR
I’m going to have to get some SRP brass at some point. I really want to shoot a CCI 450 with a vmax for coyotes
You don’t want srp brass if you hunt coyotes in the cold.

Also check out the 80gn eldvt.

18” barrel is sending factory Hornady eldvt at 3050. That’s with sub 100 rounds down the barrel I’m sure it will be faster before long.

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
You don’t want srp brass if you hunt coyotes in the cold.

Also check out the 80gn eldvt.

18” barrel is sending factory Hornady eldvt at 3050. That’s with sub 100 rounds down the barrel I’m sure it will be faster before long.
Idk man I’ve had the 450s shooting in North Dakota at -20 without issue. That was a 6.5 creed and didn’t get any hang fires. It’ll probably bite me in the ass eventually.

You shooting the ELDVT with H4350?

Lawnboi

WKR
Idk man I’ve had the 450s shooting in North Dakota at -20 without issue. That was a 6.5 creed and didn’t get any hang fires. It’ll probably bite me in the ass eventually.

You shooting the ELDVT with H4350?
Shot some out of my dad’s gun for break in. I’ll shoot some eventually. Impressive bullet on paper, and the 6 creed will be twisted for it anyways.

And on the hang fires, 2 years ago I would have said the same exact thing as you, until it happened, then happened again. I never had issues with the 6.5 either but have with 6 and 22 creedmoor.

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
Shot some out of my dad’s gun for break in. I’ll shoot some eventually. Impressive bullet on paper, and the 6 creed will be twisted for it anyways.

And on the hang fires, 2 years ago I would have said the same exact thing as you, until it happened, then happened again. I never had issues with the 6.5 either but have with 6 and 22 creedmoor.
Gotcha. Maybe I’ll use the SRP for my fair weather load.

Lawnboi

WKR
Gotcha. Maybe I’ll use the SRP for my fair weather load.
That’s what I do, fair weather/match loads I use srp.

Srp don’t seem to handle pressure as well as the large either. Nothing scientific but I can have a serious crater in a small primer where large I have nothing, that’s with magnum small rifle.

Lapua is king for brass, but you have to buy Berger loaded ammo to get any anymore. Peterson seems good and I probably won’t buy anymore alpha unless forced to

Lawnboi

WKR
what’s the deal with Alpha?
It’s consistent, can’t say if it’s just a chamber issue or not but it shows pressure early. Base is a little smaller than lapua and dosnt grow at all.

Still works I just had to down load and use a slower powder than I’m used to.

CCooper

WKR
It’s consistent, can’t say if it’s just a chamber issue or not but it shows pressure early. Base is a little smaller than lapua and dosnt grow at all.

Still works I just had to down load and use a slower powder than I’m used to.
Interesting you mention this. I started load dev for my 6 creed with Alpha and H4350 and a 108. It didn't impress in the speed department before pressure, switched to N-555 and got a significant speed bump with accuracy to go along with it.

The Guide

WKR
So I'm looking at picking up some 6CM Alpha brass. Is anyone running SRP brass? Is there a benefit to the SRP over LRP? Midway has the SRP brass for $105.30 and the LRP for $113.00.

Jay

So I'm looking at picking up some 6CM Alpha brass. Is anyone running SRP brass? Is there a benefit to the SRP over LRP? Midway has the SRP brass for $105.30 and the LRP for $113.00.

Jay

Benefits of SRP: More firings on high pressure loads without primer pockets expanding. Small primers are easier to find.
Benefits of LRP: More forgiving in less than ideal ignition scenarios (cold, ball powder, double based powder).

I buy LRP if I have a choice but i've also many barrels worth of LRP on hand. Not really worried about getting 15 firings out of brass either because I've got like 700 pieces of 6 creed brass so there's no need.

VernAK

WKR
I wore out two barrels in my 243 Dakota before buying two Fieldcraft 6CMs. I found the 6CM much easier to load for than the 243......maybe just luck. The 108ELD-M has been very accurate in my now 3 6CMs when pushed by 40 grs RL16. The 95LRX also shoots well in the Fieldcraft I use for wolves or caribou. My experience with ALPHA brass has been great but I never push for the highest velocity.

I do have 200 Peterson SRP 6CM that are excess to my needs if anyone is hurting for quality brass.