6.7 ram warning PSA

wyosteve

WKR
I had an ‘18 that leaked at 36k miles. Fortunately my Maxcare warranty covered it.

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
Ya I do them all the time, it’s common all the way back to the older 12 valves. Once sealed properly they should last forever. It’s hit and miss from the factory for some reason on the newer 6.7s. Much more common on those then the older ones.

OP
E
Ya I do them all the time, it’s common all the way back to the older 12 valves. Once sealed properly they should last forever. It’s hit and miss from the factory for some reason on the newer 6.7s. Much more common on those then the older ones.
You mind if I ask what you charge for the job? This is the most unsatisfactory money I’ve ever spent. $4700 to replace some gaskets that never should fail in the first place.

TheCougar

WKR
And this is why I won’t buy another Ram. For me it was a torque converter at 100k and the sheared exhaust header bolts at 45k. 2014 Hemi.

TheHammer

WKR
Same, I do them on all cummins. The isx updated front housing seal is worse than the problem seal they are updating… I have a saying in my shop. “I remember when Cummins was the best, now they are the least worst.” To the OP, I’m sorry for your misfortune, that price quote is not to replace the gasket, it’s to remove the dodge in the way to access the parts to replace the gasket.

OP
E
Same, I do them on all cummins. The isx updated front housing seal is worse than the problem seal they are updating… I have a saying in my shop. “I remember when Cummins was the best, now they are the least worst.” To the OP, I’m sorry for your misfortune, that price quote is not to replace the gasket, it’s to remove the dodge in the way to access the parts to replace the gasket.
I get that it’s a lot of labor. My gripe is…why continue use a gasket that’s going to fail in a place that is going to require disassembly of the whole GD truck? Pretty sure I could have had an entire new transmission installed for less money

TheHammer

WKR
I get that it’s a lot of labor. My gripe is…why continue use a gasket that’s going to fail in a place that is going to require disassembly of the whole GD truck? Pretty sure I could have had an entire new transmission installed for less money
I could sell you a complete billet aluminum front housing that utilizes an oring seal… either way I don’t rely on just gaskets anymore, in todays world the quality of almost everything is so poor, you do not know what exactly you are receiving. And I do not like doing things twice.

wyosteve

WKR
I think they gouged you. If I remember correctly, the 'warranty' cost on my invoice was in the $1700 range.

IDVortex

WKR
I mean, don't buy a 6.7 powerstroke. The 16-18 or 20s lower and upper oil pan gaskets leak. Needless to say, after dropping a trans on my hand, I don't know if I actually saved any money doing it myself. All vehicles have issues. They're all just a bucket of bolts.

My 2017 3500 has 98k on it and is dry as a bone. Zero issues. Getting ready to get a 2024 in the next couple months, another h.o 3500 with the aisin trans. Anybody hearing any bad things about the 24s yet?

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
You mind if I ask what you charge for the job? This is the most unsatisfactory money I’ve ever spent. $4700 to replace some gaskets that never should fail in the first place.
That’s prolly the going rate through a ram dealer or even a Cummins dealer. Most mom and pop diesel shops are gunna be 2500-3000 I would say. All depends on the shop and overhead honestly.