6.5PRC or 7PRC?

cck

FNG
I’m upgrading rifles this year and right now I’m leaning toward the tikka T3x roughneck in 6.5PRC. It’ll be used for essentially everything on the western half of the country as I’m in Idaho and will be taking trips to Alaska every few years. Would I potentially regret not getting a 7PRC?

I recently did a shopping comparison of 6.5 prc, 7mm PRC, and 300 PRC. While 6.5 will certainly kill all intended western game just fine within its limits, I like a bit more knock down power but was not sure I want the extra recoil of 300 prc since they are designed only for heavy bullet weights and long range shooting. I don't shoot animals past 600 yds so 7mm PRC fit the bill for me. Actually in typically barrel lengths the 180 gr bullet 7mm PRC energy is not too far off from 300 PRC at 1000 yds in one review I read. I can't recall the bullet exactly but both are high BC bullets. I chose 7mm PRC but with short 18 inch barrel to be used with a suppressor and good to go out to 700 yds according to the guy at Gunwerks. Hill country you tube video was where I found a lot of useful data.

OP
cck

cck

FNG
I recently did a shopping comparison of 6.5 prc, 7mm PRC, and 300 PRC. While 6.5 will certainly kill all intended western game just fine within its limits, I like a bit more knock down power but was not sure I want the extra recoil of 300 prc since they are designed only for heavy bullet weights and long range shooting. I don't shoot animals past 600 yds so 7mm PRC fit the bill for me. Actually in typically barrel lengths the 180 gr bullet 7mm PRC energy is not too far off from 300 PRC at 1000 yds in one review I read. I can't recall the bullet exactly but both are high BC bullets. I chose 7mm PRC but with short 18 inch barrel to be used with a suppressor and good to go out to 700 yds according to the guy at Gunwerks. Hill country you tube video was where I found a lot of useful data.
Very helpful, I think I read a lot of very similar info and was kind of in the same predicament, I want to shoot some heavier loads just for the knock down, but still on the fence if the extra recoil is worth it. But I guess with a good brake or suppressor that can definitely be mitigated.

Very helpful, I think I read a lot of very similar info and was kind of in the same predicament, I want to shoot some heavier loads just for the knock down, but still on the fence if the extra recoil is worth it. But I guess with a good brake or suppressor that can definitely be mitigated.
My 7 PRC at 9.5 lbs and suppressor is fine recoil wise. Dont think I’d like to move to a 300PRC though. If you wanted a really light rifle then 6.5PRC might be the ticket.

Just a point, but "knock down" has absolutely nothing to do with the energy a bullet has. It has everything to do with shot placement and bullet construction/behavior.
If you want to knock them down every time, hit them in the head or spine. If you want them to die really fast, then hit them in the vitals with a bullet that causes the largest wound channel(s) possible.

You can do that with any of the PRC chamberings as all of them have bullets available that will do the above.

I built a custom tikka 7PRC that is by far the nicest rifle I own. I still picked up a 6.5 PRC and am more excited about that.

The 7 PRC promise of 180’s going 3000 fps with factory loads seems to have been a bamboozle.

I built a custom tikka 7PRC that is by far the nicest rifle I own. I still picked up a 6.5 PRC and am more excited about that.

The 7 PRC promise of 180’s going 3000 fps with factory loads seems to have been a bamboozle.
I think you’ll see that number get closer with the other offerings from federal, Nosler, etc. Hornady definitely hoodwinked us on their ammo though.

I think you’ll see that number get closer with the other offerings from federal, Nosler, etc. Hornady definitely hoodwinked us on their ammo though.

It’ll be interesting to see the community homebrew recipes for success, but the odd thing is that Hornady ammo is a couple hundred fps slow while still showing pressure signs at times.

Weird that federal ammo is faster with significantly shorter COAL.

jimh406

WKR
I don't know if you'll regret the 6.5 PRC, but 7 PRC does have a lot more bullet choices with more kick.

If you ever switch to copper, the barnes bullets for 6.5 are about 40 grains lighter which is less energy at long range and probably less sectional density.

The 6.5 PRC ammo seems to be a bit easier to find still. That may change in the future.

However, if you are a 22 for everything believer, I guess both are too large and you should are looking at 22 Creedmoor or similar. Personally, I'd go with the 7 PRC which will likely always be big enough.

Reactions: cck

The 6.5 mm is definitely gonna be more comfortable and pleasant too shoot, especially suppressed.

Hornady loads are anemic. Federal factory 175 ELD-X in my Seekins PH2 get 3k almost on the noze. Their terminal Ascent 170s are mid to upper 3k.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Unckebob

WKR
I’m upgrading rifles this year and right now I’m leaning toward the tikka T3x roughneck in 6.5PRC. It’ll be used for essentially everything on the western half of the country as I’m in Idaho and will be taking trips to Alaska every few years. Would I potentially regret not getting a 7PRC?

I have the exact rifle you are considering buying. If I had it to do again, I would have picked one of the cerekoted or stainless models. Nothing has gone wrong, I just think I made a mistake.

The only thing I genuinely dislike on my rifle is the magazine. Rather than drop capacity to 3 like the 270 WSM magazines have, my rifle has a 5 round mag that sticks out the bottom more than I like.

I love to shoot it.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The 6.5 PCR is plenty with the ELDm and ELDx. If you want more oomph, then go with the 7. The difference isn't going to be massive between them on the wound channel or on the recoil. It all depends on what you feel like you need or want.

tt280AI

FNG
Of the 6.5 vs 7, I'd take the 7PRC. Especially for elk on Idaho and big stuff in AK.