6.5mm bullet for Elk

A-Brakke

FNG
First and foremost I’m not looking for other caliber recommendations. I know what I shoot, and shoot it well. Currently been hunting everything in Montana last 3 years with my 6.5cm and keep shots under 400yds always. Punched a boat load of tags from Elk to Antelope with 143g ELDX.

That said, for fun I’m looking press a new load as a do all hunting round. Currently looking at 130 accubonds, 140g partition, 127 LRX, and 125 HHT Hammers. Open to new suggestions as well.

-Brakke

OP
A-Brakke

A-Brakke

FNG
Man I would stay with the 143 myself

I’m currently hung up on that myself. Never had an issue with them. Maybe just itching to load something different. 1 shot on every animal except a Muley buck that was dead standing and I decided to anchor him for good measure.

OP
A-Brakke

A-Brakke

FNG
"Hi everyone, I have something that works totally fine, but for fun want to try something that might not work"
Yup, have something that works totally fine. Also looking to have a second option if certain bullets, and powders aren’t available in the long run.

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I’m currently hung up on that myself. Never had an issue with them. Maybe just itching to load something different. 1 shot on every animal except a Muley buck that was dead standing and I decided to anchor him for good measure.
From my reading on here and personal correlating results I’d have no prob using the 143eldx, 140eldm, 147eldm, or 130TMK.

The 143 treated me well last year, I chopped the barrel and 130TMKs line up better w quick drops now.

If it’s not a precision issue, and you use FFP mil scopes, I’d go w what lines up w a base of 2 quick drop.

OP
A-Brakke

A-Brakke

FNG
From my reading on here and personal correlating results I’d have no prob using the 143eldx, 140eldm, 147eldm, or 130TMK.

The 143 treated me well last year, I chopped the barrel and 130TMKs line up better w quick drops now.

If it’s not a precision issue, and you use FFP mil scopes, I’d go w what lines up w a base of 2 quick drop.
Nah not a precision issue at all. Just would like to have another solid option. Have you been able to use those TMK’s on game yet?

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Nah not a precision issue at all. Just would like to have another solid option. Have you been able to use those TMK’s on game yet?
One small bear, around 50 yards, neck/spine shot, coke can size tissue damage all the way through. Let a friend use the rifle on a doe hunt… 100 yards two in the guts, one in the chest, liquified a good bit of the guts. Chest wound was a 130tmk and another bullet, not sure which was which. No hesitation to chase bulls next week. Was hoping to have better data on the doe, but we ended up processing a couple deer that night and I was helping a new hunter w theirs.

Yup, have something that works totally fine. Also looking to have a second option if certain bullets, and powders aren’t available in the long run.

Just poking fun. I get it.

140eldm would be similar wound channel to 143eldx.

Listen to this in full. Years of knowledge on bullets condensed into 2 hrs.

OP
A-Brakke

A-Brakke

FNG
One small bear, around 50 yards, neck/spine shot, coke can size tissue damage all the way through. Let a friend use the rifle on a doe hunt… 100 yards two in the guts, one in the chest, liquified a good bit of the guts. Chest wound was a 130tmk and another bullet, not sure which was which. No hesitation to chase bulls next week. Was hoping to have better data on the doe, but we ended up processing a couple deer that night and I was helping a new hunter w theirs.
Roger that! I believe a friend has some extra I’ll press some up and see how they shoot. Appreciate the recommendation! If you drop anything coming up here soon you should let me know how it goes.

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Roger that! I believe a friend has some extra I’ll press some up and see how they shoot. Appreciate the recommendation! If you drop anything coming up here soon you should let me know how it goes.
Will do. I had one combination of bullet/powder that almost made disregard the 130. Changes powder and it’s my best performer. If you roll your own, worth trying a few combos.

nobody

WKR
140 ELDM, 130 TMK, 143 ELDX, or 147 ELDM

I wouldn’t even entertain anything else personally. Every 6.5 I own/have owned gets fed a steady diet of nothing but 140 ELDM’s, otherwise known as ELDMurders. I carry that for all hunting I do, and I don’t do anything but western big game, elk and mule deer primarily. There isn’t an animal on god’s green earth that would give me pause with 140’s from a 6.5 creed.

If your 143’s work, don’t screw with it. And I would personally call every bullet you’ve listed a downgrade in terminal performance relative to the ELDX from a damage and wound channel perspective, so if I was switching, I would switch to the 140 ELDM’s because of the sheer availability of them.