6.5 WSM Load for Youth

Eiden

FNG
Hello All,
I would like to hear thoughts and or opinions on setting up a mild load for my son to start hunting with this year. The gun is a 6.5WSM with a 22" barrel. I currently have a load with the 140 VLD's moving 2950fps. He shoots it well, but I notice him struggle with recoil management occasionally. I think that it would benefit him to shoot something a little bit milder, at least for the first couple years. Gun would be used to hunt deer, elk, black bear, and antelope primarily. I have been debating on a couple options. Not sure what would be better.

1. Drop to a lower node with the 140VLD.
  2. Have him shoot a different rifle for practice. (I'd personally prefer him to get really comfortable with his hunting rifle.)
  3. Drop to a lighter bullet with a moderate load.
    1. Considering the following
      1. 120 ELDM
      2. 130 ELDM
Thanks for any and all input. Feel free to enlighten me on different ideas as well.

Thanks

eric1115

WKR
Hello All,
I would like to hear thoughts and or opinions on setting up a mild load for my son to start hunting with this year. The gun is a 6.5WSM with a 22" barrel. I currently have a load with the 140 VLD's moving 2950fps. He shoots it well, but I notice him struggle with recoil management occasionally. I think that it would benefit him to shoot something a little bit milder, at least for the first couple years. Gun would be used to hunt deer, elk, black bear, and antelope primarily. I have been debating on a couple options. Not sure what would be better.

1. Drop to a lower node with the 140VLD.
  2. Have him shoot a different rifle for practice. (I'd personally prefer him to get really comfortable with his hunting rifle.)
  3. Drop to a lighter bullet with a moderate load.
    1. Considering the following
      1. 120 ELDM
      2. 130 ELDM
Thanks for any and all input. Feel free to enlighten me on different ideas as well.

Thanks
2a: Have him shoot a different rifle for practice and hunting. Best thing I ever did for my kids' hunting was to move them to very low recoil platforms across the board. .223 Tikka T3x Compact, hunt with the 77TMK and practice with whatever you want.

Even a 120-140 grain going high 2k fps range is above the recoil threshold where most kids start developing bad habits in my experience.

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure where you plan on hunting and state laws, but if .223 with 77 gr TMK isn't an option then I'd look real hard at a 6 ARC, .243, 6 creedmore, etc.
And .223 to practice with.

eric1115

WKR
OP
Eiden

Eiden

FNG
.223. Welcome to Rokslide
For the Primary hunting rifle or Practice?
2a: Have him shoot a different rifle for practice and hunting. Best thing I ever did for my kids' hunting was to move them to very low recoil platforms across the board. .223 Tikka T3x Compact, hunt with the 77TMK and practice with whatever you want.

Even a 120-140 grain going high 2k fps range is above the recoil threshold where most kids start developing bad habits in my experience.
I have followed the 223 progress on this forum and needless to say I am intrigued. I just find some slight hesitation for reasons I truly don't know. Probably because I have had the magnum requirements force-fed to me ever since I myself was a young man. For this I find myself instinctively gravitating toward the above options. I would like to fully commit and make the leap.

Last edited:

eric1115

WKR

I have followed the 223 progresses on this forum and needless to say I am untriaged. I just find some slight hesitation for reasons I truly don't know. Probably because I have had the magnum requirements force-fed to me ever since I myself was a young man. For this I find myself instinctively gravitating toward the above options. I would like to fully commit and make the leap.
I hedged and got a 6mm ARC Howa Mini for one kids' rifle and a .223 T3x for another. I 100% get the hesitation, I had it too.

I think I have the two best current options for kids' rifles that are readily available, and would give the .223 Tikka the nod pretty comfortably as the best option there is.

Both are head and shoulders (literally, if you watch the videos I took) better than even a .243 or 6CM, and even more so his old 7mm-08 with 120's.

Jimbee

WKR

I have followed the 223 progresses on this forum and needless to say I am untriaged. I just find some slight hesitation for reasons I truly don't know. Probably because I have had the magnum requirements force-fed to me ever since I myself was a young man. For this I find myself instinctively gravitating toward the above options. I would like to fully commit and make the leap.
Both. You won't regret it. Ever heard anyone say they tried it and decided to go back to a megaboomer?

OP
Eiden

Eiden

FNG
Yup, if you aren't legally permitted to use a .223, the 6mm ARC is hands down next best IMO. Big step up from that to .243...

Post in thread 'Kids rifle manifesto' https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/kids-rifle-manifesto.348812/post-3569161
I do appreciate the advice and the link to the thread. Great read. Really making me second guess everything. I didn't mean to ask a question that has been so deliberately evaluated.

Both. You won't regret it. Ever heard anyone say they tried it and decided to go back to a megaboomer?
You have a valid point. I have yet to read where someone has made the switch and regretted it.

Jimbee

WKR
I do appreciate the advice and the link to the thread. Great read. Really making me second guess everything. I didn't mean to ask a question that has been so deliberately evaluated.

You have a valid point. I have yet to read where someone has made the switch and regretted it.
Don't forget to get some supressors heading your way. Seriously.

You could also look for a reduced recoil load. I believe it’s h4895. I load 90 gr speers in a 270 win at 2800 for my kids. Very easy to shoot, we only hunt whitetails though.

ozyclint

WKR
Is H4895 a powder option? I made a youth load in my .270 using 110gr Sierra prohunters at 2500fps. Accurate and excellent terminal performance. Very mild shooting.
If H4895 is a powder option it's certainly worth exploring

eric1115

WKR
Put a muzzlebrake on it or a different rifle altogether

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Zero percent chance I would put a kid behind a braked magnum. Even if you double up ear pro at the range, ear pro in the field sucks for good communication. There's also pretty good info saying that hearing loss and TBI are possible even with good ear protection.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
I'd work up a load with any 100 grain bullet about the same velocity and it will reduce the recoil significantly.

I'd get a Howa Mini in 6arc for the lad. Its a fantastic cartridge, great to work on shooting basics, and enough for game at reasonable distances. Its slim and short, so it more naturally fits kids than a regular action with a short stock.

Zero percent chance I would put a kid behind a braked magnum. Even if you double up ear pro at the range, ear pro in the field sucks for good communication. There's also pretty good info saying that hearing loss and TBI are possible even with good ear protection.
I put every kid behind a braked rifle. Give them electric earmuffs and your just fine... otherwise don't put a child behind any magnum ever.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk