6.5 prc

cgasner1

WKR
Anyone kill a moose with that 156 Berger wanting to take my 6.5 because I shoot it so well and incase I see a wolf at a distance any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
I was actually debating on taking 2 different rounds poi shouldn’t be to far off

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
The wolves will succumb to harder bullets quite well. No real need for different bullets.

Gun loves the Berger’s and if I end up in a longer shot situation I’d rather have less drift I don’t figure I’ll be shooting over a few hundred at a moose so I wouldn’t have to do the load development I have with these Berger’s

DRNalaska

FNG
I’m pretty curious about this as well. Got a 6.5 PRC for my wife to hunt caribou with but it’s quickly turning into my favorite rifle. Have some of the 156’s I’m planning on trying on moose this fall

I’d suggest looking beyond any 6.5 cartridge. From my perspective, a fast 30 caliber cartridge should be considered the minimum choice for moose.

jhm2023

WKR
A thin jacketed bullet like a Berger wouldn't be my choice but I wouldn't hesitate to kill a moose with a 6.5 prc loaded with a good copper bullet like Barnes, Hammer or CEB. My wife keeps putting moose on the ground with her little creedmoor using 127gr LRX. I would imagine a prc would do it even better. Moose don't always give broadside shots and there is a lot of muscle and heavy bone up front, so use a better constructed bullet. With big critters, a bullet's terminal performance is way more important than a higher b.c. in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

What is the apprehension for shooting a moose with a 6.5 PRC, I believe more moose have been killed with a 6.5x55 sweede than any other cartridge. The PRC has better ballistics and moose have lots of soft spots.
Yes, it is true that Swedes use the 6.5x55 to harvest thousands of moose per year. However, Alaska moose hunting and Swedish moose hunting is different. The Swedes are hunting the Eurasian “elk” version of a moose. While still large, the Eurasian elk (moose) is similar to the Shiras moose, found in the “lower 48” and is considerably smaller than the Alaskan moose. In fact Swedish moose are, about 1/3 or so smaller, than Alaskan moose. Shooting a Shiras or Eurasian moose is more like shooting an elk than an Alaskan moose with respect to size.

Also, the Swedes are generally shooting very heavy for caliber bullets at shorter ranges. Which is different than the high BC 6.5 bullets being used at typically longer ranges in the U.S.

sveltri

WKR
So the areas between bones, soft spots, is even greater in an alaskan moose? Serious question, not being a smart ass.

Airohunter

Lil-Rokslider
When I had my Caribou hunt I elected to take a larger caliber just based on a potential Grizz encounter. I don't have any doubts the 6.5 PRC could take a Moose.

ive been apart of several moose kills, I wouldnt even hesitate with that setup. One of the easiest big game animals to kill.

So the areas between bones, soft spots, is even greater in an alaskan moose? Serious question, not being a smart ass.
I wouldn’t go so far as to call you an ass. I imagine you’re a nice guy. Cut yourself a little slack. However, your question isn’t all that smart.