6.5 prc + staball hd

All the parts just came in to complete my 6.5 PRC build on a Solus action. I have Retumbo and H1000 to play with but it’s not the easiest thing to find. I’m pretty curious about the Staball HD but worry if it’s actually temp stable. Haven’t found any good info on that yet.
I just listened to the Hornady podcast about powder, and according to them, it is extremely temp stable in their testing. Take it for what it's worth, I've only shot my loads around 70-80 degrees, no cold weather data yet.

Groups are looking good man be nice to know the fps as well so when ya have a chance up load it. I'm curious on the staball HD but it's looking promising as a alternative if h1000 hard to get.
I completely forgot about this thread until today, but the velocity out of my loads is averaging 2915 at 59.9gr.

Odd1out

Lil-Rokslider
All the parts just came in to complete my 6.5 PRC build on a Solus action. I have Retumbo and H1000 to play with but it’s not the easiest thing to find. I’m pretty curious about the Staball HD but worry if it’s actually temp stable. Haven’t found any good info on that yet.
I've used a bunch of it. It seems very temp stable.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

SloppyJ

WKR
Are you all using magnum primers for this powder? I tried some in my 300prc with BR2s and the velocity swings were all over the place. Didn't have that problem with H1000. I know it's apples to oranges based on powder column size but just something I noticed. The velocity wasn't any better than retumbo or h1000 too comparing case fill volumes.

Are you all using magnum primers for this powder? I tried some in my 300prc with BR2s and the velocity swings were all over the place. Didn't have that problem with H1000. I know it's apples to oranges based on powder column size but just something I noticed. The velocity wasn't any better than retumbo or h1000 too comparing case fill volumes.
I am definitely no expert but I can’t imagine getting any type of consistency trying to ignore the amount of powder in a 300 PRC with standard primers. I figured a magnum primer would be a must.

Odd1out

Lil-Rokslider
Ok that’s good. Have you saw anyone on here do a test to check stability and post results?
Nope. But I shot the same load at minus 10C to plus 25C only saw a 15 to 20fps gain. Which is pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

SloppyJ

WKR
I am definitely no expert but I can’t imagine getting any type of consistency trying to ignore the amount of powder in a 300 PRC with standard primers. I figured a magnum primer would be a must.
I get perfectly acceptable results with h1000 and BR2s. SD of 9 and consistently take it out to 1200yds.

A very small test of magnum primers shows a 20fps increase while bringing the SD to 14. I'm going to keep playing with the magnum primers but the BR2s work just fine for certain powders.

Unckebob

WKR

I cannot speak to the temp sensitivity of the HD version, but I did my own temperature sensitivity test of H4350 vs Staball 6.5. Over a year and shoot in different temps, I saw no evidence that Staball 6.5 was more temperature sensitive than H4350.

SloppyJ

WKR
I cannot speak to the temp sensitivity of the HD version, but I did my own temperature sensitivity test of H4350 vs Staball 6.5. Over a year and shoot in different temps, I saw no evidence that Staball 6.5 was more temperature sensitive than H4350.
But really that's saying a lot for staball 6.5.

I get perfectly acceptable results with h1000 and BR2s. SD of 9 and consistently take it out to 1200yds.

A very small test of magnum primers shows a 20fps increase while bringing the SD to 14. I'm going to keep playing with the magnum primers but the BR2s work just fine for certain powders.
Awesome. That’s good information to know. Thank you. The SD’s of 9 and 14, are across how many shots?

Dang! Now that’s impressive.

I've tried StaBall HD in my 6.5 PRC and was not overly impressed. Accuracy wasn't spectacular, SD and ES weren't what I expected, and velocity was average at best.

N565 has been the ticket in my Seekins with 143 ELD-X and 140 TGK.

I am gonna try StaBall HD again but since I've got more n565 and its producing better results, I'll stick with it for now.

From what I understand the HD is supposed to be even more stable than the 6.5 so that’s great news.