6.5 Creedmoor Terminal Performance.

For you guys out there that are shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor, what factory ammo is producing the best terminal performance? Most of my shots will be within 200 yards on Whitetail, but I want something that’s going to mushroom really well. What would you guys recommend for factory ammo? Also I’ll be shooting a Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creedmoor 22” 1-8 twist.
Thanks for any help.

woods89

WKR
For you guys out there that are shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor, what factory ammo is producing the best terminal performance? Most of my shots will be within 200 yards on Whitetail, but I want something that’s going to mushroom really well. What would you guys recommend for factory ammo? Also I’ll be shooting a Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creedmoor 22” 1-8 twist.
Thanks for any help.
There's some data in the thread linked on the 130gr Sierra TMK. If you want quick kills that would be my bullet of choice. Mushroom probably isn't the right term for what they do, but they are catastrophic.
But yeah, read the thread @ResearchinStuff linked. Almost all the popular bullets are in there.

Wags

WKR
We've taken 8 animals the last 2 years with 143 ELDX's. Deer, Antelope and Cow Elk. Ranges were 80-410 yards. Not one went more than a few yards and none required a 2nd shot.

Juan_ID

WKR
How are the seconds? I saw some photos of soft points with crooked tips once, scared me off seconds ever since.
Not the same I know but I’ve bought the 73 eldm seconds and they shoot just as good as the standard eldm’s and have yet to have one that was too ugly to load/shoot. Powdervalley had 77 tmk seconds last week too for $6 less a box, oos now. I’d have to guess the standard tmk’s will start showing up with the seconds popping up. 🤷‍♂️
Thanks for any help.
Back to the original topic, the hornady 147 eldm factory ammo shoots great and kills em dead too. But they don’t mushroom

Last edited:
Yeah I saw the 77 tmk seconds and was tempted. If I could actually put eyes on them I would feel a lot better about the purchase. For now, I am relying on eldms, they're seemingly always available.

Yeah I saw the 77 tmk seconds and was tempted. If I could actually put eyes on them I would feel a lot better about the purchase. For now, I am relying on eldms, they're seemingly always available.
I received some of those 77tmks and compared it to my non-seconds TMKs. The only visible difference to me was a duller color on the tips.

For the ranges you are hunting, I like the terminal ascent a lot, I will keep using them as exclusively as I can until they are hard to find… pretty nasty bullet

OP
TK161BOONER
For the ranges you are hunting, I like the terminal ascent a lot, I will keep using them as exclusively as I can until they are hard to find… pretty nasty bullet
My brother shot them out of his 270 Fieldcraft , but he said they were pretty tight in the action. Not sure if you seen any of the same issues.

My brother shot them out of his 270 Fieldcraft , but he said they were pretty tight in the action. Not sure if you seen any of the same issues.
A little bit in one of the 3 rifles I am shooting them in… 1 creed and a 308 nothing to note, one creed a little tight but not bad, but did notice it

mncoolbeans

Lil-Rokslider
For my 6.5 CM rifle I've been using the 140gr Federal Fusion. Bullet does what its supposed to do, good mushroom and shoots really good out of my rifle for Factory Ammo on Whitetails.