6.5 creedmoor or 6.5 RPM Weatherby WHICH ONE??

wyoduster

Lil-Rokslider
Ok so here I am thinking about another gun.. Just want a lightweight rig looking at the Weatherby Mark V Backcountry or weathermark LT .. anyway the QUESTION is which caliber??? Help me out I'm just not sure why one and not the other.. Pro & Cons? HELP....

OP
W

wyoduster

Lil-Rokslider
Of course I've also considered a 6.5-300 WM but Don't think i"m up to that much kick or need for speed. ?????????????????

dv8pnt

FNG
I have 2 6.5 creeds. One in a weatherby vanguard and one in a browning xbolt hunter. I just recently picked up the browning but have shot plenty of PA whitetails in the last 4 years with the vanguard. I also have a vanguard 6.5x300 that I got last year. It shoots great and the recoil isnt bad at all. I cant say much either way about the rpm other than make sure you have ammo located if you go that route. the same goes for the 6.5x300. If you find ammo it is usually around a hundred a box.

2five7

WKR
On average, the RPM will be 400 fps faster than the Creed. That's a larger difference than between a .30-06 and a .300 win mag, of course more powder is required, and with that comes more recoil. Imo, the RPM case (and 264 WM) represent the upper end of useable case capacity for the 6.5 bore, 6.5-300 and 26 Nosler are just a bit too much of a good thing to me.

Get the Weathermark LT while you still can, I believe it's being replace by something else. Excellent value for a sub 6 lb rifle.

OP
W

wyoduster

Lil-Rokslider
I'm leaning that way too.. (Weathermark LT) and the 6.5 CM but thought i'd listen to the voice of experiance before I jump.

dv8pnt

FNG
The previous post is right. If you know that is what you want get it. My 6.5x300 that I got last year was the stainless with the ibex camo stock. I really liked it and got it for under 800 out the door. They are really hard to find now and a lot more money.

How far are you wanting to kill an animal? How deep are your pockets? How recoil tolerant are you?

The 6.5 CM will cost about $3 per round for commercial 140 gr Accubond while the RPM will cost about $5.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
I think in this case I would eliminate the RPM in a hurry if you are not a handloader.
The next question would be if this will be a volume shooter also at the range or just a hunting rifle?
If it is a hunting rifle and some extra yardage with good terminal results interest you then the RPM makes sense.
I have a Vanguard in the PRC but thinking of going to a MkV Hunter in RPM, but I do know a guy built an RPM and had brass issues, I have to learn more before I invest.

Beaverdog

FNG
In the latest backcountry hunting podcast with Adam weatherby he meantions something about the 6.5x300 doing better with the thicker carbon barrel with less barrel whip.

OP
W

wyoduster

Lil-Rokslider
I do handload everything I shoot... But at 62 years old I'm starting to like less recoil.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
You can’t go wrong with either one but they are different animals for sure. I have a Weathermark LT in 6.5RPM and absolutely love it and recoil is very manageable with the brake. It is not very fun to shoot without the brake though. Have a vanguard first lite version in 6.5creedmoor and use it as my loaner for family and friends and have killed a few Muley bucks the past few years with that also. I shoot the 140accubonds out of both rigs. You do not have a bad choice listed and on a positive note if you go the RPM route, at least locally I have been seeing RPM ammo(not the accubonds though) and brass on the shelves in two different gun shops the past month. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you end up getting.

Super tag

WKR
I have the Weatherby Carbonmark in 6.5 RPM it’s a really nice rifle, the fit and finish is excellent, more importantly it is very accurate with the factory ammo.

I have both. My CM is a Ruger American and I got the Weathermark LT last year in the RPM. My full RPM setup with scope and sling weighs just over 7lbs. It is a joy packing that thing around the mountains. I’ve killed a handful of antelope and deer with my Creed and it’s a fun shooting gun. The RPM is faster though and hits harder. With the brake on it, the recoil is less than my CM (without brake). RPM is going to be my go to hunting gun, and if I’m shooting at the range ill shoot the CM due to lower cost ammo. If I had to pick one, I’d go with the RPM

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
I want to ask the RPM users here, do any of you load your own and if so how is that going?

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Mine shot the regular weatherby accubond ammo great right out of the gates. That being said I picked up the 150gr accubond long range bullets and have loaded them up with H1000. Last time out at the range muzzle velocity was just above 2900fps with that 150gr bullet. I was happy with that and I am sure you could push it even further. I have not shot the 150’s for accuracy yet but was certainly excited about the potential of that combo for the load.

OP
W

wyoduster

Lil-Rokslider
Dang just when I think I know what I want... That RPM was second choice.. now Going to give it a little more consideration.