6.5 Creedmoor/260 for Deer, Elk, and whatever else.....

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Been meaning to ask you this. I’ve been shooting 147s for several years now and have had great success with them. But I have a short barrel and am having trouble finding 147s in town while 140s are staring at me on the shelves. I’ve found myself wondering if dropping down to the available 140s would help me pick up some speed, but not give up any lethality.

If you had to rate hornadys factory 140s, 143s, and 147s from most effective to least (relative), what would you say?

It would take a lot of animals with each to see any difference at all. Really it would have to be on the extreme end of the range. The “largest” difference is that the 147gr ELD-M jacket is a bit thicker at the nose.

The 140gr is great and kills very well.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It would take a lot of animals with each to see any difference at all. Really it would have to be on the extreme end of the range. The “largest” difference is that the 147gr ELD-M jacket is a bit thicker at the nose.

The 140gr is great and kills very well.
What considerations would you suggest if shooting between the 143 Eldx and 140eldm?

My tikka is shooting really well with the 140, any reason to consider switching since I need to order more anyways?

Felix40

WKR
This is my first big animal since switching from a 300 wsm. Im very happy with the smaller rifle.

143 eldx from a 6.5 prc at 120 yds. Quartering to on a bear. It went through the big shoulder bones and I recovered it under the skin in the far side hip. The bear went about 10 feet.
IMG_5215.jpegIMG_5216.jpeg

ElPollo

WKR
I'd look long and hard for 139gr Scenars. They are super accurate and a killing machine.
I’ve used the 136 gr Scenar L on three deer with impacts between 70 and 120 yards. They were accurate, but I would not describe their killing power the way you do with the 139s. They were a bit slow to upset, with most of the damage on the far side of the deer and long ‘necks’ in the wound channel. The result was dead deer in all cases, but they were slower to kill and ended up in longer tracking jobs than I like to see. For what they cost I will sick with ELDMs and TMKs going forward.

fwafwow

WKR
For 130 tmk factory the options are pretty much non existent. Federal loaded them but I think that stuff is supposed to be for military/police use so can be hard to find. Browning lists a load on their website but I’ve never actually seen any for sale. Unknown munitions or other custom loaders could make you some but it might be pricey.

As far as practice ammo I’ve been using freedom munitions 123 grain hpbt. It’s about a dollar a round and shoots 1 moa 10 round groups in my tikka super light.

The hornady match 140 eldm can be found for around 1.60 a round and is kind of the consensus for easy button practice and hunting ammo and probably your best bet if you don’t handload.
I can't seem to find any of the Freedom Munitions 123gr HPBTs in stock.

For practice, I think I'm going to get a few different offerings from PSA - the above referenced 140gr Sabre Black Tip and the 140gr BTHP, each at $1 per before shipping and taxes. Has anyone tried these from Grizzly Ammunition? https://grizzlycartridge.com/shop/65-creedmoor-140gr-hpbt-m-copy/

For hunting, I think I will stick with the ELDs (from another source) - unless anyone tests out the two PSAs.
Speaking of ELDs, has anyone tried Precision One 140gr ELD-M?

Last edited:

For practice, I think I'm going to get a few different offerings from PSA - the above referenced 140gr Sabre Black Tip and the 140gr BTHP, each at $1 per before shipping and taxes. Has anyone tried these from Grizzly Ammunition? https://grizzlycartridge.com/shop/65-creedmoor-140gr-hpbt-m-copy/

For hunting, I think I will stick with the ELDs (from another source) - unless anyone tests out the two PSAs.
Sucks it’s out of stock it’s pretty nice ammo for the price and they do free shipping deals all the time. I bought 2 cases earlier this summer and haven’t shot my way through it all yet but I’m close. I’ll probably try the psa stuff if I can’t find the freedom. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to find out that the 140 Sabre black tip is just an eldm with a different color tip. Would love to hear some accuracy reports of you end up getting some psa stuff.

https://www.freedommunitions.com/6-5-creedmoor-123-fmj-new.html

The 123 fmj might be worth a try, just for practice and plinking. Freedom usually runs some shipping sales so keep an eye out or sign up for the emails.

Interested in the psa ammo, please give us a report if you go with those.

Edit: wow sorry I didn't even catch mountainrancher's post and basically just echoed what he said

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Spectacular
Didnt imagine you were a factory ammo bloke though 👍
Haha. I have a box of 143 eldx bullets on the bench but between kids and work didn’t give them justice. But boy do the 140eldm bullets shoot good.
One blew through both lungs stopping on the offside hide, the other blew through the shoulder and exploded on the lungs.

fwafwow

WKR
You’ve got a 223, why are you practicing with your 6.5?
I assumed that I should shoot the 6.5 a good bit to get used to it. Does practice on the RSS translate to the 6.5? I know that some would - trigger control, form, flinch exercises, etc. - but I would think even the extra recoil, and a different rifle, would merit practice. But I’m also fairly ignorant

atmat

WKR
I assumed that I should shoot the 6.5 a good bit to get used to it. Does practice on the RSS translate to the 6.5? I know that some would - trigger control, form, flinch exercises, etc. - but I would think even the extra recoil, and a different rifle, would merit practice. But I’m also fairly ignorant
You should definitely get some time in with it. But the majority of my practice is with the 223 due to cost and barrel life. Then I hunt with my 6creed.

fwafwow

WKR
You should definitely get some time in with it. But the majority of my practice is with the 223 due to cost and barrel life. Then I hunt with my 6creed.
Thanks. Any rules of thumb - 10:1 ratio of 223 to 6.5 for practice? Your advice is saving me lots of money, and grief. I’m currently subject to a domestic ammo embargo and blockade.

atmat

WKR
I’ve got no clue what the ratio should be. I put ~150 rounds down my 6creed trying different bullets, shooting for fun, and verifying dope. Now I almost never shoot it except a few shots before and during the season.

My 223 sees well over 90% of the work (excluding rimfire).

The Guide

WKR
Thanks. Any rules of thumb - 10:1 ratio of 223 to 6.5 for practice? Your advice is saving me lots of money, and grief. I’m currently subject to a domestic ammo embargo and blockade.
I would say that practice isn't exactly linear but 5:1 is what I would suggest but not shots to shots but days/sessions. I would use the 223 to work on fundamental principles and then verify you can be proficient with them on the 6.5. If you find holes in your game when shooting the 6.5 add more practice with the 6.5 until you are doing the same with both guns. On a 223 day you might practice with 100 rounds. When using the 6.5, twenty would be a lot as long as you aren't finding yourself lacking.

A case is still just a box of ammo but it has 200 to 500 rounds in it... 😏

Jay

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I would say that practice isn't exactly linear but 5:1 is what I would suggest but not shots to shots but days/sessions. I would use the 223 to work on fundamental principles and then verify you can be proficient with them on the 6.5. If you find holes in your game when shooting the 6.5 add more practice with the 6.5 until you are doing the same with both guns. On a 223 day you might practice with 100 rounds. When using the 6.5, twenty would be a lot as long as you aren't finding yourself lacking.

A case is still just a box of ammo but it has 200 to 500 rounds in it... 😏

Jay
I used to shoot .223 and .204 to the tune of thousands of rounds a month. Switching to my 6.5s for competitions and longs range plinking was second nature. There should be no discrepancy between chamberings with enough shooting time.