6.5 Creed Deer load

I've resisted the 6.5 Creedmore trend forever only because it was just one more round that did what I've already got. However, I won one at a Ducks Unlimited event. It's nice and I am going to keep it to use as a backup deer rifle.

So, question: what is the go to deer load? I've got access to Speer Hot Cor, Barnes LRX/TTSX, and Nosler Accubonds.

What is your go to load? Specifically between 50 and 150 yards on white tails and wild hogs. I have access to shoot them to ranges over 300 yards, but I'm not normally interested in it. I'd say 300 yards is about the max.

And yes, I've seen a bunch of threads on 6.5 loads etc. but not too many on actual deer loads for CLOSE range. I'm not worried about the amaing 600 yard shot in the wind from ridge to ridge. That doesn't exist in Texas/Louisiana/Mississippi where I'll be hunting.

OP
B
I’d shoot 140 Nosler Ballistic Tips, but from your list I’d run with the hotcor if they shoot well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use Ballistic Tips in my 300 Blackout and I've used them in 308 win. They usually shoot lights out, just havent had any opportunities to hit any game with those.

(Coincidentally, it may be hard to believe but my smallest group ever shot at 100 yards with a Ruger Ranch 300 blk using Nosler BT's. Group was covered by a dime.)

Thanks for the input. I'll add the BT to the possible list.

I use Ballistic Tips in my 300 Blackout and I've used them in 308 win. They usually shoot lights out, just havent had any opportunities to hit any game with those.

(Coincidentally, it may be hard to believe but my smallest group ever shot at 100 yards with a Ruger Ranch 300 blk using Nosler BT's. Group was covered by a dime.)

They are killers. I’ve killed whitetails with 6mm, 6.5, 7mm, and .308, they all work.

They are killers. I’ve killed whitetails with 6mm, 6.5, 7mm, and .308, they all work.

kota

FNG
I shoot 120 nosler BTs and the 127 LRX in mine. I prefer the BTs since they expand a little better, but no complaints on either one on mule deer between 40 and 200 yards.

At the distances you are talking about I would use the one that shoots the best. If you like to load hot I would go with the Barnes or nosler, and the Speer if you don’t. Minimum velocity for the accubond is 1800 fps and LRX is 1600 fps if that gives you an idea.

For 50-150 with a normal barrel length I’d just use a 143 eldx my rifle is 16” so I dropped down to a 130 to get some more speed (tmk)

When I shot a 22” 143 was effective and uneventful on whitetail at that range

xsn10s

WKR
I'd use 100gr-140gr Ballistic Tips. Steve Timms wrote a great post on using them with Chub Eastman and Matt Smith in their 6.5mm-280 AI. I used a 168 gr BT out of a 308 Win for a Texas WT. 70 yards right in the shoulder. Got and exit and dead buck.

xsn10s

WKR
To be honest I think if three hundred is your max distance then a soft point cup and core bullet will be fine for whitetails. When I lived in Georgia a hundred yard shot might be more the norm.

BLJ

WKR
To be honest I think if three hundred is your max distance then a soft point cup and core bullet will be fine for whitetails. When I lived in Georgia a hundred yard shot might be more the norm.
No experience with any of these but I was thinking Hot Core myself.

Unckebob

WKR
My gun loves pretty much any bullet in the 140g class that I have tested.

I personally use the Tipped Match King, but my gun likes the 143g ELDx as well. Both did great on sub-100 yard shots. They hit where I aimed and did their job.

The good news, there is not a bad answer.

I've had lots of good experiences using the 127gr LRX from a 20 inch 6.5CM on blacktailed deer (and one goat). Shots have been out to 250-ish yards, with one buck as close as 10 feet. Recently started hunting with the 120gr CX because they give better accuracy in my rifle, but if there is a difference between those two on deer, I can't see it.

Reactions: mkk

MHWASH

WKR
I'm not a fan of the all copper for deer. There's real no need for a deep driving bullet that does not expand wide on such a softly built animal. My son shot his first deer with a 260 using the 120 TTSX. Made a good hit just before dark and the deer took off. We didn't find her until the next morning. I believe had we used any cup and core lead bullet, the deer would have been dead where we could have found her.

OP
B
Lots of good stuff here. I'll probably load up a few different ones and see what shoots the best out of the new rifle. Glad to hear everyone has had good success.