6.5 creed and 156gr Bergers

Anyone having any luck with the factory Berger 156 loads for the 6.5 creedmoor? My tikka will not shoot these straight. I think the best 3 shot group I got was around 1 moa. The 135 classic load I’m getting .5 moa. I’m thinking I might not be getting high enough velocity to stabilize them.

Tikkas are notorious for slow twists. I’m guessing that is the issue.

Anyone having any luck with the factory Berger 156 loads for the 6.5 creedmoor? My tikka will not shoot these straight. I think the best 3 shot group I got was around 1 moa. The 135 classic load I’m getting .5 moa. I’m thinking I might not be getting high enough velocity to stabilize them.

I did not have great results with the factory loads, I’ll keep reloading.

Any updates here?
I keep telling myself they won't do anything the 140 Elite Hunters do for me, but they are hard to ignore. My Creedmoor is a rebarreled Remington M7 with a 22'' 8 twist Hawk Hill. I'm still using the factory floorplate which limits me to 2.820 COAL or so which would likely be my biggest frustration. I do have 10+ pounds of H4350 available. I'm very tempted to order 100 and see what kind of velocities i get.......

Any updates here?
I keep telling myself they won't do anything the 140 Elite Hunters do for me, but they are hard to ignore. My Creedmoor is a rebarreled Remington M7 with a 22'' 8 twist Hawk Hill. I'm still using the factory floorplate which limits me to 2.820 COAL or so which would likely be my biggest frustration. I do have 10+ pounds of H4350 available. I'm very tempted to order 100 and see what kind of velocities i get.......

I would order them and try them out, might need a different powder though.

Any updates here?
I second the suggestion to give them a whirl. I've arrived at a very nice shooting load in my Tikka CTR 20".

I tried the 210m primers, but like all of my Creedmoor loads, CCI BR2s just seem to work better.

I'm burning RL26 at maximum length for the CTR magazine.

I'm all settled in with shorter range load work, just need an opportunity to try them out at longer range.

I second the suggestion to give them a whirl. I've arrived at a very nice shooting load in my Tikka CTR 20".

I tried the 210m primers, but like all of my Creedmoor loads, CCI BR2s just seem to work better.

I'm burning RL26 at maximum length for the CTR magazine.

I'm all settled in with shorter range load work, just need an opportunity to try them out at longer range.

You guys are going to convince me.
What is max length in a CTR mag? I already feel like I'm seating the 140 Elite Hunters in the neck a long way at 2.815. I'm shooting Lapua small primer brass so I suppose I would try CCI BR-4s.......

You guys are going to convince me.
What is max length in a CTR mag? I already feel like I'm seating the 140 Elite Hunters in the neck a long way at 2.815. I'm shooting Lapua small primer brass so I suppose I would try CCI BR-4s.......

The CTR magazine is pretty generous. I just measured my loaded ammo at 2.930 OAL. Wall to wall the internal mag length is 2.95".

I couldn't resist. Bullet Central has good pricing on these.
It may be a few weeks before I start working with these. Any thoughts on starting points with 4350?

It may be a few weeks before I start working with these. Any thoughts on starting points with 4350?

Call Berger and they’ll tell you, they are good about this but don’t publish it.

38.5 grains would be my starting point with H4350. I would expect to see my final load end up around 40.5 grains.

I had a box of these come in and loaded a few up the other night. After talking to Berger and with the above advice, I loaded 2 per with H4350 at 38.5, 39.0, 39.5, 40.0, and 40.5. Brass is Lapua small primer, primers are CCI BR-4. COAL is 2.815. Barrel is a 22'' Hawk Hill.
Velocities were as follows (ALWAYS WORK UP CAREFULLY IN YOUR OWN RIFLE!)

38.5-2460,2465
39.0-2489,2496
39.5-2542,2521
40.0-2566,2551
40.5-2576,2601

I found no pressure signs at 40.5. Primers are still fully rounded. Bolt lift was easy. For some reason my rifle ejector marks everything, even my really tame loads, so I just watch my primers and bolt lift.
At this point I guess I will keep working up carefully. I'm going to tighten up my charge weight jumps to .2-.3 grains from here on out as I can't imagine I have a long ways to go.
If I can get 2650 I will be quite happy!
OP, if you want me to start my own thread just let me know. I don't want to hijack.

Back