6.5 CM build <$4,000 budget

Hank Hill

FNG
I'm just fishing for ideas here, I want to build a 6.5 CM, preferably under 9lbs w/scope. Primary function just as an all around WT / Muley / Lope gun. Light enough to pack but still enjoyable to shoot.

I'm real interested in a Christensen MPR, with a NF NSX 3.5-15, but also interested in the custom route - just don't know if thats in the price range.

I'm no blowhard - I really don't know my rear end from my elbow when it comes to the finer points of a custom rifle so any ideas would be appreciated.

Does your sub-$4000 budget include glass or is that rifle only? If that is your total budget, with that scope you will have $2300-2500 for the rifle. That probably won't be enough for a full blown custom but you can get a lot of rifle for that price. Many good options out there (Barret Fieldcraft, Christensen Arms--various models, Bergara Mountain, Sako Finnlight or Finnlight 2, Browning X bolt series, and many others). Or, you can get a Tikka and a few cases of ammo, and slowly upgrade and turn it in to a semi-custom over time.

I’d get a proof research elevation and slap
An nxs 2.5-10 on it. That would be a cool set up.
hmm, I like this idea

Does your sub-$4000 budget include glass or is that rifle only? If that is your total budget, with that scope you will have $2300-2500 for the rifle. That probably won't be enough for a full blown custom but you can get a lot of rifle for that price. Many good options out there (Barret Fieldcraft, Christensen Arms--various models, Bergara Mountain, Sako Finnlight or Finnlight 2, Browning X bolt series, and many others). Or, you can get a Tikka and a few cases of ammo, and slowly upgrade and turn it in to a semi-custom over time.
$4k in total, or at least I'd like to keep it under that if possible.

Go defiance tenacity with a chambered prefit from proof or carbon six. Find a trigger and bottom metal you like. There you’re around $2k. Carbon fiber game scout around used forums or order from mcmillan. $2700 total leaves you with $1300 for optics. That’s doable.

If you must scratch the itch, the world is your oyster. The value of custom actions has increased tremendously in the past 5 years (tenacity mentioned above, Kelblys, curtis, bighorn, etc, etc). Add quick change barrel capability and the ability to throat long and feed long, specific barrel twist, and I see a reason to do it. All that said, a 6.5cm, sub 9lb gun isn't tough to do with good off the shelf guns, of which many are discussed on this site.

Having done the custom thing, its a low value proposition for me. I've gone full circle back to a basic Tikka with a vertical grip and a reliable scope.

Hey, drop me a line at pbgunrunnerATgmail.com , I have a buddy selling a full custom build w good glass for less than your budget. Thx

I'm having a custom gun built right now. Although, I could have saved a lot of money by purchasing a Fierce rifle. They guarantee 1/2 MOA accuracy and cost $1,900 - 2,700. All those that have them, love them. John Mogle is the president at Fierce and was one of the first employees at Christensen Arms.

Back