5 points in Colorado

Point creep is one of the handful of high level targets for CPW to solve.
My gut says most likley you will not be able to bank points and hunt on a ( leftover, 2nd. 3rd choice tag)

Hunt when you can and hunt often
That’s an easy one and not sure why it’s so difficult. I’m not even sure who came up with it or why. Go to a luck of the draw and no points. It puts everyone on an even playing field. Not that I think every woke person in America deserves a trophy or anything, but everyone has the same odds. As an example I’ve been lucky enough to draw a trophy unit in NM that would have taken 30 years to draw if points were involved. Now about those welfare subsidy tags that are given to the outfitters. If we could legislate that out of existence NM would hands down have the best system in the country

Walthers

FNG
I’ve burned 7 PPs (deer) on a 3 PP unit. It was one the best and memorable deer hunt I’ve had.

Get after it
Curious if this was archery or rifle?

But as a guy that has been holding points in multiple states for a decade or more, I am tired of thinking about point creep and reg changes. I’m now going with the thought process of cash in and hunt and I don’t follow newberg.

cnelk

WKR
Curious if this was archery or rifle?

But as a guy that has been holding points in multiple states for a decade or more, I am tired of thinking about point creep and reg changes. I’m now going with the thought process of cash in and hunt and I don’t follow newberg.
Rifle

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
Not the pretties pattern below, but one I see over and over for Colorado. Unit I was researching and never hunted it. Always on the list as a maybe next year could draw for me as I build points
:
1675371093561.png

txjustin

Lil-Rokslider
We are burning our 3 points this year. With the wolf situation and possible future changes I’m not chancing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
Bull antler size doesn’t always correlate to points taken to draw unit, saw several over 300 inch bulls multiple years in an otc unit I hunt and killed a 350 last year ( not the norm, but it happens every year) , lots of draw units probably won’t match the genetic quality. No unit in Co is worth waiting 10 years to hunt in my opinion, even NW corner… if you want a trophy look at AZ or NM hopefully will draw an 8 point tag this year I Co and I don’t think there will be many bulls over 300 in the unit I’m hunting, but there is a better bull to cow ratio and less overall tags issued

Ddubs20

FNG
There's a possibility the OTC tags go away in a couple years. If everything goes draw, having those points might make more units possible. The only thing consistent about CPW is they change things constantly!

Whip

WKR
If you've got a good OTC spot that you can hunt every year there really isn't much reason to burn the points now. The low point CO units don't offer much of an advantage over OTC.
Most times you're better off with a unit you can become intimately familiar with and have figured out how to hunt it effectively. The knowledge gained from year to year is worth far more than what little advantage a low point unit can offer.
Colorado will very likely make changes to the system in the not to distant future. Those points might just become more valuable down the road.

gobears, I think you answered your own question. With limited time I would burn points and hunt the best unit you can find that takes lesser points to draw. Point creep is a b_tch! Hunt more often rather than chase that elusive 30" wide unicorn.

DEHusker

WKR
Wouldn’t the reduction of OTC hunts increase the value of points? after a few years you may see point creep slow, as more people get tired of fewer OTC and second choice tags and burn points more often
I would theoretically agree with you, except there are thousands of point holders with tens of thousands of points out there. There are far more point holders with points than there ever will be tags. Even if less over the counter units are available there will still be a significant demand for units that take points.