5 elk shot and left to waste Idaho

Even if they're caught, they'll likely get the same old slap on the wrist.

Not sure if ya'll saw it, but a co-op in Red Oak, IA, dumped over 250,000 gallons of liquid nitrogen fertilizer into the East Nishnabotna river a few weeks back. This resulted in the poisoning of 50 miles of river in SW Iowa and 10 additional miles in NW Missouri before the confluence with the Missouri river. The DNR estimates a fish kill of at least 750,000 specimens based on surveys in addition to multiple species of reptiles, birds, amphibians, and turtles.

According to the article I read, even if found at fault, the total liquidated damages to the co-op for the fish kill will be around $200k. In other words a drop in the bucket as usual.

Penalties for crimes against wildlife are a freaking joke.

Lytro

WKR

Not sure if ya'll saw it, but a co-op in Red Oak, IA, dumped over 250,000 gallons of liquid nitrogen fertilizer into the East Nishnabotna river a few weeks back. This resulted in the poisoning of 50 miles of river in SW Iowa and 10 additional miles in NW Missouri before the confluence with the Missouri river. The DNR estimates a fish kill of at least 750,000 specimens based on surveys in addition to multiple species of reptiles, birds, amphibians, and turtles.

According to the article I read, even if found at fault, the total liquidated damages to the co-op for the fish kill will be around $200k. In other words a drop in the bucket as usual.

The outcome of that fertilizer spill may have been different if 99% of the fish killed weren't rough fish. I would imagine the resulting algae growth will be more impactful than the loss of the fish.

The outcome of that fertilizer spill may have been different if 99% of the fish killed weren't rough fish. I would imagine the resulting algae growth will be more impactful than the loss of the fish.
They got lucky it happened early enough that the walleyes, saugers, and other migratory fish hadn't been running yet. There were a lot of catfish mixed in with the deads however, and they will get charged for them at least.

I'm not sure on the algae bloom potential. I'm not an expert, but I thought those were usually the result of phosphorous runoff. Regardless, just another inexcusable spill that will be short on consequences.

UncleBone

WKR

Sounds like that could affect more than just wildlife too.

Idaboy

WKR

With all the challenges elk face to survive in the wild, along comes some dick head who kills them for no reason whatsoever. How someone can have zero respect for these animals is mind-blowing, I hope karma catches up with them in a bad way.
That's really sh:}##ty....given the fact no meat taken and no racks cut off, suspect not regular outdoor folk.. I bet kids/young adults.... Hope they are caught, all they need is a tip and they'll match bullets recovered to dickheads gun.... If caught -> throw the book at em😡😡

NoRush24

Lil-Rokslider
Eye for an eye, they should have their legs broken and left in the woods.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Japanese bamboo torture, rat torture, then finish them off with the brazen bull. All on live tv seems fair.

tater

WKR
Met a guy almost 35 years ago. He told me in his previous life seven or eight times a year he would grab a few drinks after work. When he got home his SO would rag on him so he'd grab his rifle and 40 rounds.
On his way out of town he would stop and buy a big bottle of whatever rotgut he fancied.

Then for the next eight hours he would drink and drive around and slaughter whatever game animals he found. Deer. Elk. Bears. Moose.
He told me it was either that or drive back into town and kill as many people as he could find.

He was a seriously unwell person and he finally got the help he needed.
When he got well he never shot a rifle again and he made some big donations to conservation. He also helped a lot of other folks get their lives in order too.

All this to say there is probably some mental health stuff at play (in addition to just being an a*****e).

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Disgusting. Truly despicable. In my "home" unit nonetheless. I hope there will be some justice in one way or another.