5 degree to -10 degree sleeping bag

mww982

WKR
I currently own a 50-degree enlightened equipment synthetic quilt, and a 20-degree FF down sleeping bag. I'm looking to add a third bag for colder weather in the 5-degree to -10-degree range. I Have it narrowed down to the Western Mountaineering Sequoia, Kodiak, or Bristlecone so far. I am an active sleeper and generally sleep hot, of those three choices what would you go with? I'm 5'10" and 215 lbs, should I go with a 6' or 6'6" bag?

S.Clancy

WKR
If you're gonna get a new bag, 6' bag at most. You need to be a snug fit in a bag without compressing the down. Less free space = warmer bag. Way too many people make the mistake of getting a big bag so there is more room.

You may be able to nest your 20F bag in the quilt and get you where you need to be at a similar weight and wayyy less cost, FYI

OP
M

mww982

WKR
If you're gonna get a new bag, 6' bag at most. You need to be a snug fit in a bag without compressing the down. Less free space = warmer bag. Way too many people make the mistake of getting a big bag so there is more room.

You may be able to nest your 20F bag in the quilt and get you where you need to be at a similar weight and wayyy less cost, FYI
I was originally going to go that way, but looking to save room in my pack. One bag takes up less room than two.

I'm same size as you.
I've owned all 3 wm bags you mentioned.
Sequoia with overfill is my favorite. Kodiak is stupid warm but lower half of bag is a bit restricting compared to the other 2. Bristlecone is a furnace. Sequoia checks the boxes from me, I pair it with a wm terrlite for warmer hunts.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
I'm same size as you.
I've owned all 3 wm bags you mentioned.
Sequoia with overfill is my favorite. Kodiak is stupid warm but lower half of bag is a bit restricting compared to the other 2. Bristlecone is a furnace. Sequoia checks the boxes from me, I pair it with a wm terrlite for warmer hunts.

Did you go with the 6’ or 6’6” bag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Did you go with the 6’ or 6’6” bag?

Sent from my iPhone

Sent
I've owned both 6 foot and 6 foot 6 inch in the sequoia and kodiak. Bristlecone only
6 foot 6 inch. I've found I only need a 6 foot version for my needs. Imo western mountaineering bags are true to length and temp rating.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
I've owned both 6 foot and 6 foot 6 inch in the sequoia and kodiak. Bristlecone only
6 foot 6 inch. I've found I only need a 6 foot version for my needs. Imo western mountaineering bags are true to length and temp rating.

That’s why I am torn on length. I have a tendency to slide down into a bag, if I do that in a 6’ bag it may be too short.

For this trip, I’ll take my FF 20 degree and quilt to save some cash and buy a 0 degree bag after hunting season. Will get the sequoia from hermits hut with overfill.

S.Clancy

WKR
That’s why I am torn on length. I have a tendency to slide down into a bag, if I do that in a 6’ bag it may be too short.

For this trip, I’ll take my FF 20 degree and quilt to save some cash and buy a 0 degree bag after hunting season. Will get the sequoia from hermits hut with overfill.

I'm 6'1 and sleep in a 6' bag. You'll have plenty of length

OP
M

mww982

WKR
Ended up getting the sequoia on order, deal I couldn't pass up with price matching through backcountry.com. Will most likely be selling my FF swift when I get back to get a Terralite or Sycamore.

Looks like Hermits Hut is sold out of just about all GWS options. Do they restock regularly?
Call them. I've bought 2 bags from them that were 'out of stock" but available when I called. They do their best to keep the website up to date with inventory but it's hard as fast as they sell WM bags.