416 rigby.......

hodgeman

WKR
I had a Ruger RSM in .416 Rigby once upon a time.

Rifle was beautiful but heavy...too much of both for the hunting I do in the end. It flat kills, no doubt about that, but it really isn't required for anything on this continent. For something like elephants or Cape Buffalo it might be the bee's knees but it's just too much of a good thing for here. The guy I got mine from shot two coastal bears with it- complete end to end penetration on a 9' bear is impressive.

Ammo was also problematic in my area as well...I had to import mine from Seattle at $100+ a box. I really liked the rifle in a nutty sort of way, but in the end just too many negatives for zero gain and somebody else wanted it more than I did.

OP
greyghostnw
thanks. i came across one from a friend. a ruger no 1 with dies, 80 rounds of brass, 150 barnes tsx bullets and a load worked up for it already. his targets he gave me have less than 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards. cant imagine i will even hit the paper, will be scared the first time i shoot it. was given to me so it will be used at least once on a animal at some point but a novelty more than anything.

GKPrice

Banned
thanks. i came across one from a friend. a ruger no 1 with dies, 80 rounds of brass, 150 barnes tsx bullets and a load worked up for it already. his targets he gave me have less than 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards. cant imagine i will even hit the paper, will be scared the first time i shoot it. was given to me so it will be used at least once on a animal at some point but a novelty more than anything.

the .416 has always intrigued me - I agree with Hodgeman that it isn't need for NA - prior to his untimely demise, John Noveske and I were congering up a .416 WSM build on a model 70 but I won't ever do it now .... He and his best friend had already done a 458 WSM and it was a really cool novelty for sure

hodgeman

WKR

There's no reason to not use it if you have it. Recoil is pronounced. Really pronounced. 400gr at 2400 fps is going to do that. But, it's not that ferocious. It's a big shove though and not that nasty sharp crack a .338 or lightweight .300 gives you. The gun weight tends to tame it a bit too.

It would be a neat round in a #1. Meat damage will be surprisingly little but you WILL get an exit- from any angle on just about any critter you shoot.

I have one in a CZ 550 Kevlar stock. It is a beast and I love it. Reloading will be essential if you actually plan on shooting it any. Factory ammo costs a ton. Recoil is a bit more than my 375 Weatherby as expected.

KHNC

WKR
Best thing to do with 416 is neck it down and call it a LAZARONI! :)

Lil-Rokslider
I have one in a Encore and it shoots pretty good. You will have recoil but it's managable. Shooting it from a bench sucks!!!! I haven't hunted with it yet though and you can't beat free!!!