.410 viable at this point?

Is .410 a good cartridge to hunt with? Is there a specific bird it’s better to use with?

rojocop

FNG
My uncle uses a .410, but he has shoulder problems so it's a 410 or nothing for him.

It's a good way for him to still get out and get to shoot.

OP
F
I have killed a lot of mountain grouse with a 410 in a TC Contender. #5 shot is all I will use. If you are buying a shotgun, an over under 28 Ga. is way better. Shells are way easier to find too. I have one from ATI and it was $500 new a couple years ago.
Oh okay, I’ll have to look at some 28ga’s

dtrkyman

WKR
When I had a dog it was my primary gun, I have a nice o/u. Used it in the dove field as well.

What do you plan to hunt?

Axlrod

WKR
410 with #8/9 TSS for everything in NA.. well Id use lead for doves and quail but TSS for everything else

TSS for Turkey, Ducks, geese, cranes, pheasants, grouse etc. extremely deadly
I'm sure it is, but at $10 per shot vs. around $1 per shot for lead 28/20/12 ga. my typical year of bird hunting would go from $100 in shells to $1000.

ssgjpd

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I enjoy shooting .410 for dove and quail. I also shoot sporting clays and skeet with it.

This gauge/bore will be plenty for most bird hunting.

FLS

WKR
Fine for doves and quail. Not much payload even with TSS for wild flushing pheasants and sharpies or tough birds like sea ducks especially if the wind is blowing.

Fine for doves and quail. Not much payload even with TSS for wild flushing pheasants and sharpies or tough birds like sea ducks especially if the wind is blowing.
to each their own. From layboats on the chessie for divers and sea ducks, to pits and body booting geese, Ive had no issues.

Pheasants and turkeys exact same as the above.

Nothing better for ducks, the light report keeps them piling in

I'm sure it is, but at $10 per shot vs. around $1 per shot for lead 28/20/12 ga. my typical year of bird hunting would go from $100 in shells to $1000.
reload, Get a group of friends together and buy bulk over seas.

if you are serious bird hunter and use 410 or 28ga I’d highly recommend the above. For the bigger gauges TSS is a waste of money IMO though

Fowl Play

WKR
Yes it is viable. But is typically turned to by experienced hunters for more of a challenge or by those spending money on Tungsten for lighter recoil. Looking at your other posts though, you are just getting started in hunting. Get a 12 gauge, more versatile for starting out.

Weldor

WKR
I love the 410, don't love the price of shells anymore. I can shoot my 20 all day for way less the 2 boxes of 410 shells costs. Real Bummer

t_carlson

WKR
I enjoy shooting .410 for dove and quail. I also shoot sporting clays and skeet with it.

This gauge/bore will be plenty for most bird hunting.

Not "most" bird hunting, as that would include chukar, pheasant, grouse, and waterfowl as well.

Dove and quail? Yes.

To get back to the OP's question, if you want a lighter gun, a 20 gauge is about as small as you can reliably go (and you still give up SOME performance). After that, you have to start using expensive, performance-enhancing ammunition like TSS to even attempt to replicate performance of the larger bores.

Now of course, there are plenty of people who will argue that a 410 or whatever works just fine for them. The fact of the matter is, you can see effectiveness drop off as shotgun bore gets smaller and smaller. Anyone who tells you otherwise hasn't watched enough birds fall or is lying. A 12 gauge is noticeably more effective than a 20 gauge on pheasants and waterfowl. A 20 gauge is noticeably more effective than a 28 gauge on chukar and grouse.

You can still have great days of shooting with the smaller bores, but the guys using those guns are picking their shots. All else being equal, moving to larger gauges enables you to make longer shots. Extra reach will put more birds in the bag, and more quickly too.

My old Remington Wingmaster .410 is one of my favorites guns. I've only used it to shoot snakes. I have a hard enough time shooting birds with a 12 ga.

WCB

WKR
I shoot a .410 for Rough Grouse, Woodcock, Pheasants, Sharptail, Huns, etc...It is definitely more challenging gun to shoot.

If you are starting out I would go 28 gauge or 20 gauge. Out of those two go with 28 gauge as it just kills better. I guess you could go 12 gauge but lighter guns and lighter recoil is a lot nicer walking around.

TheGDog

WKR
The thing of it is.. if you opted for a 20ga or 12ga.. you can also use it for Predator calling quite nicely. Last time out I tried like it was either #2 or #4 Hevi-Shot Bismuth Duck/Geese loads on the coyotes called-in to like 20-35yds and was pleasantly surprised with how effective it was on them!