40 Mile Zone 2 Closed Sept 9th…help!

Timvz26

FNG
We are booked to fly out with TAS on Sept. 16, just received a phone call informing us that Zone 2 will be closing on Sept 9th and we have a few options:

We can cancel and get a refund or if the caribou move into Zone 3 we could possibly try there.

We are super bummed and not sure what to do?

With no experience we are not sure if the Caribou will be in that unit or not in during the second half of September?

We could switch to moose but have not researched or have any experience calling it moose hunting in general, plus a pretty big additional cost to fly one out.

We will have more info from TAS later with a phone call.

Thanks in advance!

JJ1179

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Go hunt the Dalton. We were there a couple of weeks ago, and there were caribou we were seeing every day.

OP
Timvz26

Timvz26

FNG
Not really an option, our 65 year old dad is coming with us so hiking 5 miles to use rifle isn’t an option, plus none of us have shot our bows in years so that’s not really a good choice either.

Thanks though.

JJ1179

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Ok, I understand that. It is tough. I wasn’t sure what TAS was, so I thought if you were flying in for a hunt, they could just fly you in somewhere there. Go luck with your hunt.

After a couple of nervous vomits, I would rebook for next year earlier in Sept. I have a feeling this will be a new and worsening trend

Trial153

WKR
i just spent 10 days there in 2, Not with TAS, however save your money.

Absolutely the worst Caribou hunt i ever experienced.
I wouldn’t be surprised if we see an end to NR caribou hunting in Alaska in the next 5 years. Numbers were in the shitter, hardly any calf’s at all. I didn’t see a bull i would consider killing.

Last edited:

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t be surprised if we see an end to NR caribou hunting in Alaska in the next 5 years.
I hope you’re right because they are allowing aerial wolf gunning again starting this winter for the next 5 years. It’s been awhile since they’ve done that in the country and all you NR benefited on your guided hunts. If they close NR bou hunting its going to get really good up there!!

still some great bulls up there, just gotta hunt for them. And know where to go too.

Trial153

WKR
I hope you’re right because they are allowing aerial wolf gunning again starting this winter for the next 5 years. It’s been awhile since they’ve done that in the country and all you NR benefited on your guided hunts. If they close NR bou hunting its going to get really good up there!!

still some great bulls up there, just gotta hunt for them. And know where to go too.

thanks I haven’t taken a guided hunt up there so, maybe i don’t qualify. I do have however more than a few days in that county with locking tags in hand and permit in my pocket. Knowing where to go and hunting for them is not and issue.

The total quota is about 25% of what it was 4 years ago, and there is talk about another cut next year or closure.

Considering that world wide about 80% of herds are in serious decline it’s more than just a wolf issue.

Sad! Glad I got my caribou hunt in a few years ago. It seems as tho these hunt prices will go thru the roof and the availability is gonna be slim.

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
thanks I haven’t taken a guided hunt up there so, maybe i don’t qualify. I do have however more than a few days in that county with locking tags in hand and permit in my pocket. Knowing where to go and hunting for them is not and issue.

The total quota is about 25% of what it was 4 years ago, and there is talk about another cut next year or closure.

Considering that world wide about 80% of herds are in serious decline it’s more than just a wolf issue.
Sorry I thought you flew in with Tok Air a couple times. Do you call those DIY hunts? 😂. How did you pick the spot they dropped you off? 😂. Ok semi guided hunts: I stand corrected.

It’s definitely more than a wolf issue. I didn’t say it was a wolf issue. In fact I’m against aerial gunning but the times you were up here hunting those caribou their numbers were higher due to the last round of aerial gunning. Deny it all you want but it’s true.

Yes caribou are hurting everywhere. Really but the climate is changing and it’s adapt or die.

VernAK

WKR
I don't expect the State to ban NR hunters but the Feds may.

The wolf removal authorized to start next spring is intended to benefit declining moose populations in the 40 Mile Country, but it certainly will benefit caribou also. Wolf pack sizes in the 40 Mile are huge with observations of 20-30 wolves in some packs. Grizzlies are also abundant in that area.

There has been no discussion of next year's quotas or management plans. A meeting of the 40MCH management coalition will be scheduled for later this year. These meetings involve State, Federal, Canadian representatives as well as ACs from surrounding towns and Native communities.

280rem

Lil-Rokslider
Need to do some aerial gunning of bears too. Or to the benefit of everyone allow NR to shoot em.