40 Mile Price Increases for 2023

z987k

WKR
Yeah cuz big tires is all you need to land on those strips 🙄🙄
And a cub or similar. The amount of people that can land on those strips that live here is probably in the 10,000 range.

z987k

WKR
Way to small of aviation community in Alaska to do a maneuver like that. Like you say, lots of folks have big tires.
Ya, I don't hunt that area and I can't see myself ever doing so, so it didn't effect me, but to crap on the aviation/hunting(the aviation community is a subset of the hunting community.) community like that didn't sit too well with me, but I'm still going to buy gas from them when I have to. It's not like there's a competitor you can go to.
And as far as fly out hunts that guy that was convicted of all kinds of shenanigans that operates in that area is a much worse choice than 40 mile.

z987k

WKR
How many of those strips have you landed on?
A couple, but I don't hunt that area, so I don't have a ton of reason to be out there except for my river trips.

I don't know too many cub drivers so incompetent they can't get it done in 500ft. Some are less, but a lot of them aren't.

Movi

FNG
A couple, but I don't hunt that area, so I don't have a ton of reason to be out there except for my river trips.

I don't know too many cub drivers so incompetent they can't get it done in 500ft. Some are less, but a lot of them aren't.
You sound like a Joseph creek or Molly creek kinda pilot.

z987k

WKR

Like I said, I don't hunt that area so I don't have ton's of reason to be up there except for the couple float trips(not hunting) I've done on those rivers. I know where those are on a map, but I've never even overflown either.

Shuttling, I've staged out of Gelvin's for how long it is, but have used a gravel bar for put ins. Not on the Charlie, the Charlie doesn't really have gravel bars in June.

Last edited:

z987k

WKR
Lol, looked up Joseph. You could operate a king air out of that length. Not balanced but it'd do it.

But serisouly, if one can't get a 150hp pa18 in and out of 500ft, they need more practice before you go hunting with it. Most of the stuff dumped on the internet was in the 500ft range.

Last edited:

Movi

FNG
If you land in that country enough eventually your plane gets a ride out via helicopter. The probability of such an event greatly increases the farther the pilot lives from Tok.

z987k

WKR
If you land in that country enough eventually your plane gets a ride out via helicopter. The probability of such an event greatly increases the farther the pilot lives from Tok.
You could say that about anywhere, or anyone that goes in unprepared/hasn't been in there before. You can't just show up in August and expect it to go well.
That said slats do seem to make up for a lot of poor ADM and lack of experience. Until they don't.

Movi

FNG
You could say that about anywhere, or anyone that goes in unprepared/hasn't been in there before. You can't just show up in August and expect it to go well.
That said slats do seem to make up for a lot of poor ADM and lack of experience. Until they don't.
I can’t say that about anywhere.