4 Season, 4(+) person, backpacking tent recommendations

The current tent I use as a 4 season is finally beyond repair (an old Cabela's tent I've had for over 15 years), and I am looking for recommendations for a new option. Now that my kids are old enough to join me I wanted to upgrade to a slightly larger model, but trying to find an option that will be still be light enough for backpacking. Not trying to spend tons of $$$$, but it's lower on the list of considerations. I'd rather come out of pocket for a high quality system once that will last me for at least the next 5-6 years (until the kids can ruck their own kit). Here are some of criteria that I am looking for:
Must haves:
  1. 4 Season - I don't need alpine/mountaineering level protection, but it does need to be 4 season and able to withstand strong straight wind gusts, suitable at/below 15 degrees F, structurally sound enough to not bow from reasonable snowfall weight.
  2. 4(+) person - I have myself, two small kids, and a dog that need to be able to fit (and have enough wiggle room to not murder each other).
  3. Back-packable - I know this is a lot to ask for a 4 person/season setup, but I need it to be light enough that I can carry it and at least 50% of my load-in gear in 1 trip. With the kids I am now doing 2 load-in hikes to get everything to the site, I don't want add a third due to tent weight. I try to keep my pack loads under 60 lbs per trip. (for those of you without kids shaking your head at 120+ lbs of base camp gear, I get it, but the back strain is worth it to ensure they enjoy it and have what they need, plus my kids are super rad and it's more about them).
  4. Exterior vestibule - Need at least one moderately sized vestibule that is accessible from inside the tent for essentials. If it has two, great! But I don't NEED an entrance vestibule, just a place for critical & bulky gear.
  5. Durability/Repairability - (Probably should have put this as the first "must have", oops) Needs to withstand the environments I described above plus the abuse that kids and a dog can put a tent through on a multi-day trip. If there is a failure, I need it to be repairable to the extent that I could get it to a serviceable state (for at least 1 night) within 1-2 hours max with basic fix gear (seam sealer, waterproof tape, patch kit, whatever I can find around the site). The best thing I have to evaluate this is that it's from a reputable (not just popular, or heavily promoted) company that puts thought and user experience into their designs.
  6. <45 minute 1 person setup - Caveat here is that I will have two small kids and a dog actively sabotaging me at every turn and will likely be doing it in low/no light.
Nice to haves:
  1. Versatility - I would like this to be a "1 & Done" tent that is also a viable option for warm weather backpacking.
  2. Dog/pass-thru opening - Would be nice to have a separate opening to let the dog out without fully opening the fly.
  3. Detachable/separate fly - Not a deal breaker, but I like this as a last ditch option for an impromptu shelter if the tent structure fails.
  4. Height - Would prefer that I can at least sit up with out running my head into the roof (I'm just 6'1", but you'd be suprised)
I'm currently looking at some options from Snugpak (but my experience with some of their other products leaves me wary), Nemo, and Big Agnes. Really hoping to find some additional options from the folks here before pulling the trigger. Thanks all.

Wow thats a lot to ask lol. Have you considered just getting 2 smaller tents? Probably more versatile for when not everyone comes

OP
Rocketman7
Wow thats a lot to ask lol. Have you considered just getting 2 smaller tents? Probably more versatile for when not everyone comes
I know, right? I did try the 2 smaller tents option on a few trips this fall. Me, wifey, and the dog in one. Kids in the other. However, at some point one kid comes over to sleep with us, which usually wakes up the other one, who also comes over to sleep with us. And then it's chaos and everyone is unhappy and tired. The only way it works (at least at this age) is if my wife sleeps in one tent with one kid and I sleep with one in the other. But wifey doesn't like backpacking in the cold so it all falls back to me. Plus, as cavalier as I am about my kids in the wild, it just doesn't sit 100% right with me to put them in a tent by themselves quite yet.
But yeah, that's the goal in a couple years.

bsnedeker

WKR
I know, right? I did try the 2 smaller tents option on a few trips this fall. Me, wifey, and the dog in one. Kids in the other. However, at some point one kid comes over to sleep with us, which usually wakes up the other one, who also comes over to sleep with us. And then it's chaos and everyone is unhappy and tired. The only way it works (at least at this age) is if my wife sleeps in one tent with one kid and I sleep with one in the other. But wifey doesn't like backpacking in the cold so it all falls back to me. Plus, as cavalier as I am about my kids in the wild, it just doesn't sit 100% right with me to put them in a tent by themselves quite yet.
But yeah, that's the goal in a couple years.

Sounds like you have young kids, I've been there. You should get a pop-up camper until your kids are older. I know it sucks but with small kids it just makes life SO much easier for everyone and still lets you enjoy being outdoors.

Superdoo

WKR
Seek Outside 8 man with full nest and liners???
7 lbs. 10 oz. for fly, stakes, and poles.
2 lbs for both half liners
6 lbs for both half nests
You're all in for 16 lbs and I'm not sure that you'd even "need" the nests which would get you down to 10 lbs. You'd be able to run a stove, you can let the dog out easily by just unzipping a door partially, you can set up by yourself in 10 minutes or less. I think it would check all your boxes.

You'd also be able to get great resale on it when the kids grow up.

Seek outside would probably be what i would go with, i love my dyneema cimarron. I would give them a call if you're interested, they're very helpful over the phone and on here too

Moserkr

WKR
Another vote for the big 8 man tipi. Im behind you a few years for kids ages, but your story will match mine.

I may need a bigger tipi in the future but…
I have a 6 man size tipi and its tight with 3 adults, gear, and a stove - 13’ diameter, 8’ tall. My plan is stick my wife and/or 2 kids in one side of the tipi in a nest, and me in my bivy, plus a stove, and gear in the other half. Dog too if its just backpacking. No stove leaves even more room. But running a stove is priceless for comfort. Warm kids/wife with full stomachs and protected from bugs? How could they not be happy.

I am in a very similar situation. I ended up getting a Seek Outside Redcliff for myself, two kids and our Great Pyrenees. It will collapse under a significant snow load (SO replaced one carbon fiber pole section for me) if you don't run the stove, which I don't feel comfortable doing with kids in the tent. Having had one tent collapse in a blizzard in the backcountry (Not the Redcliff--that collapsed in my yard) I always bring a bivvy sack for each kid which we use in the Redcliff or under a tarp shelter in nicer weather. I'll probably sell my SO Redcliff soon. I would consider the SnugPak Cave. Its a tad heavier but hopefully a little more sturdy.

OP
Rocketman7
Sounds like you have young kids, I've been there. You should get a pop-up camper until your kids are older. I know it sucks but with small kids it just makes life SO much easier for everyone and still lets you enjoy being outdoors.
I hear you, they are 4 and 6. I've got a small camper (16' Scamp trailer) which I love and we use this for weekend trips. If I go too long without some time in the woods I get a bit "difficult" (according to my wife) and it's been critical to keeping up my general sanity/composure for the last few years.

But I'm not willing to give up my backpacking trips and I love having the kids out with me away from EVERYTHING. As much of a hassle as the initial pack in(s)/out(s) and setup can be with the posse swirling around me, I know that will all melt away about 5 minutes after I get the first campfire going. So far I've managed both of them since the youngest turned 2 and a 1/2. It's honestly made me a way better general outdoorsman since when I'm by myself I will just suffer through things, but with kids you have to plan, prepare and account for contingencies. I usually only do 3-4 backpacking trips a year with the kids, and those are some of the best days of my year.

OP
Rocketman7
Seek Outside 8 man with full nest and liners???
7 lbs. 10 oz. for fly, stakes, and poles.
2 lbs for both half liners
6 lbs for both half nests
You're all in for 16 lbs and I'm not sure that you'd even "need" the nests which would get you down to 10 lbs. You'd be able to run a stove, you can let the dog out easily by just unzipping a door partially, you can set up by yourself in 10 minutes or less. I think it would check all your boxes.

You'd also be able to get great resale on it when the kids grow up.
That weight seems very manageable. I haven't looked into many Tipi styles, I guess I've been biased by the older models I used as a kid that were much heavier and clumsy to pack in/out. I've been running an old multi-fuel heater that I added an additional cage on to protect against my kids lack of spatial awareness and general spazzy-ness (not sure if that's a word, but it fits), but I think they would be ready to handle a stove. Will definitely give this a look, thanks.

OP
Rocketman7
Just watched the video on the 8 person tipi from Seek. "the wood stove can really turn a character building trip into a good memory." HAHA, that's a fantastic quote, gonna find a way to steal it.

huck

Lil-Rokslider
WE had 4 kids wife and me , used a 8 man knockoff tepee tent with knock titanium stove . Used the stove every time after it started to cool off ,getting wood and watchng the fire are the best entertainers in the world when its lousy outside .

BDRam16

WKR
In that size you really won’t get lighter than the 8 person Seek Outside one. But Luxe has an 8 person for $500 that is 15lbs total weight. Their customer service is lacking, but I borrowed a Megahorn for Wyoming and was pleasantly surprised with it in all honesty. The Sportsman’s Guide deluxe tipi with vestibule would be perfect, but I would hardly call it back packable at 25-30lbs depending on the size.

inyago

FNG
This situation is why you have grandparents, honestly how can you hunt with a wife and 2 rugrats in tow..
Are you really hunting like this, because it sounds to me you should be camping out of your truck with
the amount of gear you need..

OP
Rocketman7
This situation is why you have grandparents, honestly how can you hunt with a wife and 2 rugrats in tow..
Are you really hunting like this, because it sounds to me you should be camping out of your truck with
the amount of gear you need..
I kill a mess of squirrels, my kids have a blast, I have a blast, we have the woods to ourselves, and the only screen anyone sees for 4 days is a Garmin. So yeah, I am really hunting... are you?
I'd take the cheshire cat grin on my sons face when he spots a tail in a tree over any bull/buck I've laid eyes on. Different trips, different goals.

rayporter

WKR
when the weather is right you can leave out the pole and liner on the 8 man tipi and cut back on wt. significantly. a few stakes and a pole can be cut when you pitch camp.

Has anybody found a way to keep a fire going all night in any of these little stoves? I’m concerned about falling asleep, fire goes out, snow piles up, tent collapses. I can get a couple hours from a chunk of oak but that’s about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anybody found a way to keep a fire going all night in any of these little stoves? I’m concerned about falling asleep, fire goes out, snow piles up, tent collapses. I can get a couple hours from a chunk of oak but that’s about it.

I really dont think its possible, i think kevin timm from seek outside has said as much. Ive used duraflame and envirologs even tho they dont recommend them but they also dont burn all night. They burn hotter and longer in my experience tho

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider

Yes, you hunt with a buddy that will wake up every hour or two to re-stoke the fire for ya. So far it has worked flawlessly for me. I wake up warm and rested in the morning.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
From my perspective, the stove value is while awake ie getting up and in the evening after a long day. We just have warm sleeping bags for when the fire goes out.