3x9x42 Nightforce SHV vs Tract Toric 2.5x15x44

If you had to choose between these 2 scopes, what would you pick? Theyre similar price points, both SFP. Similar in eye relief, etc etc. Im aware of NF reputation for durability, Tract claims they are as durable.

The only reason i would even begin to pick the Toric with its unproven record is due to the 15x high end magnification while maintaining the low end.

I want a scope that dials reliably, rugged within reasonable expectations, and that i can dial to shoot for sure 500 to 550yds on deer and elk....and maybe 600yds if pushed and conditions are perfect. In short, my biggest concern is the 10 power on the NF wont be enough for 600yds shots i may never take, but idk, what do yall think?

And before anyone asks, no i dont want the 4x14x50 or 56mm NF shv due to it not being available in the Forceplex reticle, and 98% of my deer shot since moving west have been 30 to 70yds away on loggin roads. I want that wider field of view at low power for those fast shots on critters in the timber.

And yes ive looked at Trijicons, but the 2.2 to 3 inch eye relief scare me away. And yes, i practice shooting at 500, and have even shot a deer at 524. Drilled him 3 for 3.

nobody

WKR
Nightforce. Period. A scope is an aiming device, not an observation device. It needs to steer bullet to target every. Single. Time. I trust nightforce to do that.

Rule of thumb: 1-1.5x magnification for every 100 yard increment you shoot. That 10x NF will get you to 750-1k with practice. It’s a mental comfort thing to want more mag, but the more you shoot, the less mag you’ll start to want.

OP
N
Nightforce. Period. A scope is an aiming device, not an observation device. It needs to steer bullet to target every. Single. Time. I trust nightforce to do that.

Rule of thumb: 1-1.5x magnification for every 100 yard increment you shoot. That 10x NF will get you to 750-1k with practice. It’s a mental comfort thing to want more mag, but the more you shoot, the less mag you’ll start to want.
This seems to be what almost everyone on here and 24hrcampfire have said. The deer i shot at 524 was with a 9x.

Tract looks and sounds soooo good, but almost too good to be true. Not to mention the fiasco 3 or 4 years ago when their social media guy said we shouldnt expect reliability with drops.

Which im not wanting to throw one out of a helicopter and expect it to hold zero. But last year i slipped on ice packing out my bull and fell directly on my Zeiss V4, with 90lbs of meat and gear. Stayed perfect somehow, which is surprising considering their drop tests results.

Thats where the night force is so hard to turn down. Reliability and tracking are of the utmost importance to me in a hunting scope, more than glass or anything.

OP
N
I am a NF guy so i will say NF.
Their reputation seems to proceed them. I just want something simple that will truly work and hold up under normal field conditions. I am tired of questioning the reliability of my scopes after little bumps and truck rides.

I switched my daughter’s rifle to a 3-10 SHV. She has an sig cross and with folding stock and it gets abused during season.front seat of sxs, scabbard on horses etc.
it’s held up perfect. My only complaint is turret has no zero stop, so return to zero takes a lot of mental clarity if you are past one full rotation. I’ve seen guys 3D print stop rings.

Glass is useable but nothing special. I wanted locking or capped turret, short profile and tough. It delivers

OP
N
So multiple members on multiple forums told you to get the NF but your looking for confirmation basis in the Tract because you believe if officers more value?
No, just curious about Tract, they claim a lot of very good things about their scopes, which for the price point seems too good to be true. A 2.5x15 is a pretty sweet mag range for what i wanna do, but proven reliability and durability are more important.

After what Nobody said, and from my other research, the NF would do just fine at 10 power for a 600yd shot that might never happen. That was my only concern about the Nightforce and the only factor giving me pause. I plan on purchasing the NF SHV 3x10x42 around Christmas.

OP
N
I switched my daughter’s rifle to a 3-10 SHV. She has an sig cross and with folding stock and it gets abused during season.front seat of sxs, scabbard on horses etc.
it’s held up perfect. My only complaint is turret has no zero stop, so return to zero takes a lot of mental clarity if you are past one full rotation. I’ve seen guys 3D print stop rings.

Glass is useable but nothing special. I wanted locking or capped turret, short profile and tough. It delivers
Capped turrets for my kind of hunting are very important. It is unfortunate they dont have a zero stop for that rifle. Ive seen users suggest a piece of masking tape marking your 0 line. I may try that, i will definitely memorize the 0 number like the back of my hand.

85% of shots i wont even dial for, so the capped turrets beat out the lack of 0 stop for me.

If she does shoot further distances, how does she like the 10 power magnification?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Tract has a proven record of failure, I would not buy one. @fwafwow had one with issues and Tract has been evasive about it. Between those two I would get the SHV.

There is the Maven RS1.2 which is 2.5-15x and has shown itself to be durable (though I would not extend that to other Maven scopes).

Solm

FNG
Their reputation seems to proceed them. I just want something simple that will truly work and hold up under normal field conditions. I am tired of questioning the reliability of my scopes after little bumps and truck rides.
Then i recommend the SHV Nightforce model.

I am tired of questioning the reliability of my scopes after little bumps and truck rides.
If you're worrying about it to that extent (not saying it isn't justified) you won't feel better until you get a NF. I took one of my Razor 6-36's on a pronghorn hunt a couple weeks ago and couldn't help worrying a bit too. Same deal when I took a Vortex LHT on my coues hunt last year. I got tired of it being in the back of my head so guess who has an ATACR F1 7-35x56 arriving in the mail in a few hours?

I have 4 tract scopes. Two Toric 1” 3-15x42, two Tekoa in 2-10 and 4-16. I can honestly say they have all dialed for me reliably and returned to zero. I ran tall target tests with all and they don’t leave me wondering if the scope is doing what it should.
They were what I could afford at the time and I still trust and rely on them. This was all pre drop test.
If I could have a drop test proven scope on every rifle I would. Bottom line is these work and I have not had a reason to change.

December 2022 I put a used 3-15x42 I bought on a new Tikka 300 WSM that I was setting up for an Alberta Moose hunt in 2023. I put about 300 rounds on it and it just flat performed. Dialed to 600 multiple times with different loads and bullets, tall target test, 10 round groups, etc. Took it to Alberta 18 ish hour drive then a 3 hour jet boat ride. For a week it was in and out of a John boat without a case. Killed two moose, travelled back, checked it and still right on. Then because I was curious after season and wanted to see what some ammo would really do I shot a few 10 round groups.
Tract has just flat worked for me. I don’t drop rifles intentionally but they don’t live in a padded case until a shot is imminent either.
I do understand and know they don’t pass the drop test but I haven had one loose zero or move either and I believe my first was in 2017 and still lives on that rifle today.

chicoredneck

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Tract PRS scope and a Nightforce NX8. Both have been equally reliable. The NX8 has better glass if that matters to you. Dialing reliability and zero retention have been flawless in both with a lot of use. I have a private range that goes out to 1200 yards, so they get shot a lot.

Next scope I’m buying will likely be a TRACT as I think it offers a better value for the money.

JFK

WKR
The Tract 2-10 would be THE scope if it was proven reliable and had a better reticle. Sub 20oz, locking/stopped elevation. A lot to like. That said I’d go SHV. I have a 3-10 on my main rifle and love it, dial it every shot at the range and have had no issues with mine.

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
If you had to choose between these 2 scopes, what would you pick? Theyre similar price points, both SFP. Similar in eye relief, etc etc. Im aware of NF reputation for durability, Tract claims they are as durable.

The only reason i would even begin to pick the Toric with its unproven record is due to the 15x high end magnification while maintaining the low end.

I want a scope that dials reliably, rugged within reasonable expectations, and that i can dial to shoot for sure 500 to 550yds on deer and elk....and maybe 600yds if pushed and conditions are perfect. In short, my biggest concern is the 10 power on the NF wont be enough for 600yds shots i may never take, but idk, what do yall think?

And before anyone asks, no i dont want the 4x14x50 or 56mm NF shv due to it not being available in the Forceplex reticle, and 98% of my deer shot since moving west have been 30 to 70yds away on loggin roads. I want that wider field of view at low power for those fast shots on critters in the timber.

And yes ive looked at Trijicons, but the 2.2 to 3 inch eye relief scare me away. And yes, i practice shooting at 500, and have even shot a deer at 524. Drilled him 3 for 3.

John

woods89

WKR
NF, and it's not even close.

10x will not hold you back.

My 3-10 SHV was laying loose in the back of my 4 runner last fall when I rolled it on its top, and was still zeroed.