3rd Row SUV Experiences

Wife had a 2016 Chevy Traverse that was a great vehicle. Bought it with 15k on it. Drove it to 189k no mechanical issues. It was even wrecked twice (once pretty badly) and still somehow we managed to never have any problems out of it.

Wife currently has Jeep Grand Cherokee L. She’s had it for a yr. 20k miles so and trouble free. Hoping it stays that way. I know Jeeps have a reputation as not being the most reliable.
Some good friends of ours have the 3 row Jeep GC. It's very nice, and that or the substantially similar Durango will likely be the direction I go when the Traverse gets unreliable. I prefer the longitudinal engine transmission set up over the transverse set up of most SUVans.

My neighbor tows a dual axle, 16' enclosed trailer a lot for his small business that includes going to a lot of shows and conferences, so he always gets the Durango or JGC with a Hemi. Typically runs them to near 300k. Has had 5 since I've known him, and has had nothing but good luck with them.

MattB

WKR
Two thoughts: 1) 3rd seats seem way better in theory than in practice unless you have a full-size vehicle, and 2) the comments on Audi are spot on. A friend recently bought one and almost immediately had an issue with the charging system. The good news is that they figured out the issue pretty quickly and gave him a loaner car (compact much smaller than his vehicle). The bad news is that they have no idea when they will get the replacement part and said it could as long as 6 months.

BadDogPSD

WKR
We had a 2019 Honda Pilot that we were happy with. No problems in 5 years 38,000 miles. Only sold it to get a SRW truck as our dually doesn't fit everywhere we like to go.

SWOHTR

WKR
Your mileage seems low. My 17s lifetime average is over 20, and on the highway the 400 mile rolling average will be 25 with highway tires or 23 with all terrains. It's actually more fuel efficient than the awd traverse it replaced.

I did have the invisible 4 cylinder mode turned off recently, that cost about 1.5 mpg highway.
I noticed a big hit when I put the KO2s on two years ago. Also, we're fairly hilly/mountainy around here so that accounts for a bit of it. I'm guilty of letting it idle for 5-10 mins to warm up in the winter, too.

On my long cross-country trips though, holy how I was surprised to see 22mpg!

Seth

WKR
Some good advice in here from those who’ve been there. My kids are 15 and 13 and my son is now taller than me. We had a minivan as infants/toddlers and it was great for managing car seats and cargo (added bonus no doors to fling into the car parked next to you). We moved to a Dodge Journey that lasted 75k but the engine was junk. The 4Runner has been great, except my jolly green giant can no longer sit in the second row, much less third, so on to the Sequoia.

Depending on how long you typically hold onto a vehicle, plan the best you can for the future. In our case, I would have been money ahead either holdi by onto the minivan or skipping to the 4Runner, which I will continue to use for my pursuits.

Some good advice in here from those who’ve been there. My kids are 15 and 13 and my son is now taller than me. We had a minivan as infants/toddlers and it was great for managing car seats and cargo (added bonus no doors to fling into the car parked next to you). We moved to a Dodge Journey that lasted 75k but the engine was junk. The 4Runner has been great, except my jolly green giant can no longer sit in the second row, much less third, so on to the Sequoia.

Depending on how long you typically hold onto a vehicle, plan the best you can for the future. In our case, I would have been money ahead either holdi by onto the minivan or skipping to the 4Runner, which I will continue to use for my pursuits.
Have been kicking around a 4runner. Had 3 different built jeeps before having kids, and everytime I try to take my full sized truck off road, I really miss having a legitimate 4x4.

The wife and I just got a Hyundai Palisade and are liking it. Haven’t had it long enough to say good or bad yet but it seems nice. 10 year powertrain warranty is nice. 5 or 6 year 60k mile on the rest.

Tahoe1305

WKR
We’ve had a telluride for nearly 3 years. It’s awesome. Third row is really useable because you can adjust the mid row seats to split the room and recline the rear seats for even more. Space behind third row while in use is ok for a few duffle bags maybe 3x carry ons. With it folded down a good amount of room. We skied with 6 folks and gear last week with no issues.

Get 28mpg on freeway and average about 24. Ample power. We drive frequently above 10k feet and it passes fine. Sea level felt really responsive.

It has the best driver assist cruise control I’ve used second to Tesla. If it didn’t scream at you ever few minutes for taking your hands off it would self drive everything but turn offs.

Paid about $45k out the door for second highest trim level which was lower than similar competitors. Haven’t had a single issue in 45k miles.

When looking we compared with all mentioned except the grand Highlander and 3rd row Jeep because they weren’t out yet. The telluride had as much room as the pilot and more than the Highlander (our opinion vs specs online).

Last edited:

Whisky

WKR
We recently ridded ourselves of a pile of sh1t 2015 Suburban. We should have gotten rid of it sooner. It was pushing 190k and was breaking something every time we used it. We pretty much replaced everything except the engine. Tried keeping up with body rust but eventually lost that battle too. We saw the writing on the wall and bought a 4runner for my wife's daily driver, with intention of keeping the Suburban for longer trips, eventually to end up as scrap metal. Couldn't trust it even with occasional use. Got rid of it to someone who wanted it as an extra beat around farm vehicle.

We have two kids. I can't imagine my wife will be content for very long with just the 4runner, its too small for us. We now use my pickup for family trips and store gear in totes in the box. So, when the time comes for a bigger family SUV, the Jeep Wagoneer L (longer wheel base) is my #1 contender. Never a GM, and the wife doesn't like Fords apparently.

Buy bigger than you think.

MattB

WKR
We recently ridded ourselves of a pile of sh1t 2015 Suburban. We should have gotten rid of it sooner. It was pushing 190k and was breaking something every time we used it. We pretty much replaced everything except the engine. Tried keeping up with body rust but eventually lost that battle too. We saw the writing on the wall and bought a 4runner for my wife's daily driver, with intention of keeping the Suburban for longer trips, eventually to end up as scrap metal. Couldn't trust it even with occasional use. Got rid of it to someone who wanted it as an extra beat around farm vehicle.

We have two kids. I can't imagine my wife will be content for very long with just the 4runner, its too small for us. We now use my pickup for family trips and store gear in totes in the box. So, when the time comes for a bigger family SUV, the Jeep Wagoneer L (longer wheel base) is my #1 contender. Never a GM, and the wife doesn't like Fords apparently.

Buy bigger than you think.
There are 3 of us and 2 big dogs. When we road trip my 4runner is taxed, but with a hitch rack and previously a roof rack-mounted box we were really able to stretch what we could bring along. Even if we looked like the Beverly Hillbillies.

You might take a look at the Sequoia, a fair bit bigger than the 4runner.

2018 Ford Expedition Max. Very usable 3rd row and stowage areas. Tows my 6200# boat without issue. Quiet and comfortable. Has been reasonably reliable. I have about 118k miles so far

Agree with others that mid size 3rd row SUVs are a compromise.

I’d be looking at a new/used Lexus GX series or a new 4Runner if reliability is top priority.

ODB

WKR
our 2012 Highlander has a third row - it has been a very good car. Bought at 30K and has about 125K now. We have not used the third row all that much - but we have used it. For what we used it for (Sure, we can squeeze the kid's volleyball teammates in...), and when my folks came to town - it worked great. Like others have said, it stays mostly flat and now that my kid is 18 we won't probably use it much anymore.

They are a bit of a catch 22 - when you fill the seat with butts, you lose cargo space for their luggage etc.

Whisky

WKR
There are 3 of us and 2 big dogs. When we road trip my 4runner is taxed, but with a hitch rack and previously a roof rack-mounted box we were really able to stretch what we could bring along. Even if we looked like the Beverly Hillbillies.

You might take a look at the Sequoia, a fair bit bigger than the 4runner.
I know that the Sequoia size would be sufficient. My wife has it in her head she needs bigger. I've been waiting for the local dealer to get a nice Sequioa in so I can have her check one out. Personally I would buy the right Sequoia sight unseen/un-driven at this point, purely based on Toyotas reputation. That's how sick of American made junk I am.

OP
beerbucksducks
I appreciate all of the info! We will have to go drive a few in the next couple weeks. We drove a lot of them when we bought the CRV in 2020, but we convinced ourselves we wouldnt the 3rd row/extra room for a kid and 1-2 dogs. We were wrong. Haha.

Is it safe to assume that VW carries the same issues people are experiencing with Audi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I know you mentioned you weren't interest in Tahoe or Yukon XL, but I have always owned one or the other. I never put the third seat in because I have never had the need for in. Actually it's only suitable for younger kids. I have spent many nights sleeping in it with my dog with a lot room to spare. Mine is a 2004. I am meticulous about maintenance and all over care.

WCB

WKR
Wife had a 2018 Equinox and moved up to a 22' Traverse with our 2nd kid. We looked at the Telluride but not sure what people see in it and it was way more for the comparable to other options. I think when we were looking at them it was almost $10k difference. My wife was almost set on it after research and drove it about 10 miles and looked at price and said no way. She had already driven the Traverse and liked it way better and again at least at that time it was way less.

We have 2 kids (4 and 2) and 2 35ish pound dogs. The Traverse works great...no issues so far with about 55K on it. My wife loves it. We rarely use the third row but it comes in handy now and then. Bought a rack and Yakima roof box when we had the Equinox and used it for weekend trips to the cabin and 2 week trips out west with just one kid and a dog. Now we really don't need to bring it even with another kid and dog. get around 24city and 28-29hwy if your paying attention to it. (drops 1-2 with the box on top). I believe we got rid of the equinox at 120,000miles zero issues but underpowered and too small for our family.

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate all of the info! We will have to go drive a few in the next couple weeks. We drove a lot of them when we bought the CRV in 2020, but we convinced ourselves we wouldnt the 3rd row/extra room for a kid and 1-2 dogs. We were wrong. Haha.

Is it safe to assume that VW carries the same issues people are experiencing with Audi?

VW is an Audi with less snob factor. They are the same vehicles.

Toyota sequoia has been great to us, it’s a 2007 with the 4.7l. Not the best mileage, avg 15. But it’s been a great rig, low maintenance. Does great in the Montana gumbo(as great as one could hope for) and in the snow. Captains chairs in The second row with removable center console and 3rd row bench. We pack 2 kids in car seats and a wirehair with a Double stroller in it.

jimh406

WKR
I know you've probably heard Lexus is too expensive. Many people think that. New, they don't cost much more than a Toyota, and can be less than Fords, Jeep, and Chevy. I find the GX a perfect size. They do not have the latest and greatest electronics which I'm ok with.

However, the GX470/460 are bulletproof v8s with bulletproof transmissions. If you take your time, you can buy a 3 year old GX for around 40K which will outlast anything else you can buy. Unlike a lot of other brands, Lexus owners usually maintain their vehicles, and you can find the service records by viewing the Carafe or similar service.

Feel free to ignore the advice, but I feel like it's worth a try. ;)