375 ruger custom rifle options

Tristan

FNG
So a number of guides here in Alaska prefer the 375 Ruger to the venerable H&H. I had one contact me about maybe custom building one for him to test and he had some very crucial guidelines (pun intended) ie: control round feel, side flag 3 pos safety, 20-22” barrel 7-8lbs and open sights…. Would prefer carbon barrel but not if I can’t get open sights on it.

Although not a 375 Ruger. George Gardner at GA Precision designed a modified 375 H&H reamer, that will still shoot factory ammo and maximizes performance for hand loaders.

I’m shooting the Barnes 270 grain LRX at 2839 fps, using RL-17 and Norma brass. This combination has worked really well on moose, with the farthest shot at 396 yards and quite a few bulls killed at 300 plus yards.

The Barnes 270 LRX’s are very accurate. Applied Ballistics has a Custom Drag Model for this bullet. While truing up my software, I shot a 10-shot group at 718 yards, from the prone while using a bipod and rear bag. All 10 shots were inside of 0.64 MOA.

I don’t have experience with the 375 Ruger.

From my perspective, the 375 H&H is about perfect. Smooth cartridge feeding, good options for brass, comfortable to shoot (smooth recoil pulse), good velocities and more widely available support for the cartridge.

I built myself a 375 Ruger on a Stainless Tikka T3X receiver. Weight was 6 pounds 3.5 ounces without a scope. 22" barrel with a break, I'm shooting 300gr partitions right at 2800fps into a clover. I tried some 250 GMX Hornadys but couldn't get them under a 3" group at 100. One reason i went with the Tikka is that it has a sako extractor and shorter bolt throw. I took it to Kodiak Island this past Oct and it was a joy to carry and extremely wieldable.

BCsteve

WKR
So a number of guides here in Alaska prefer the 375 Ruger to the venerable H&H. I had one contact me about maybe custom building one for him to test and he had some very crucial guidelines (pun intended) ie: control round feel, side flag 3 pos safety, 20-22” barrel 7-8lbs and open sights…. Would prefer carbon barrel but not if I can’t get open sights on it.
So he wanted a Ruger Alaskan!
IMG-6705-zps190257f0.jpg

BDWMT

FNG
I’ve put together 3 custom Ruger 375s. First was by Oregunsmithing with a Montana Rifle CRF action and a 24” Lilja barrel in an Oregunsmithing stock. Taken 3 moose and an elk with it. 270 Barnes X at 2870 fps, 1/2-3/4 MOA. Second is my hunting partners chambered by Kampfeld Customs with a Rem 700, Lilja barrel and Manners stock. Great shooter. Last is a Ruger MkII with a Lilja barrel and McMillan stock. Again it’s a great shooter. All three are ridiculously accurate with very little effort. MOA or smaller with about every combination.

I kept mine plain Jane, I did drill in some flush cups on the left side which are a game changer for carrying with a sling. The picture makes the barrel look longer than it is 91663BF7-1A8F-4DE6-BEF5-884E177F0FC6.jpeg

Attachments

• 8EA11262-2C59-4349-8913-470773046BCA.jpeg
    8EA11262-2C59-4349-8913-470773046BCA.jpeg
    253.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

ldmay375

FNG
I’ve put together 3 custom Ruger 375s. First was by Oregunsmithing with a Montana Rifle CRF action and a 24” Lilja barrel in an Oregunsmithing stock. Taken 3 moose and an elk with it. 270 Barnes X at 2870 fps, 1/2-3/4 MOA. Second is my hunting partners chambered by Kampfeld Customs with a Rem 700, Lilja barrel and Manners stock. Great shooter. Last is a Ruger MkII with a Lilja barrel and McMillan stock. Again it’s a great shooter. All three are ridiculously accurate with very little effort. MOA or smaller with about every combination.
When the stainless 375 Ruger 20" Alaskan first hit the shelves in my area, I bought 2 and had them modified. Lilja barrels, a McMillan & a Bansner stock, barrel band front sight and sling stud. The barrels were suppose to be 22 & 23". They both are 1/2" longer, and both now have McMillan stocks.

Anyways during the extraordinarily long wait time for those rifles. I bought another 20" Alaskan and put it in a McMillan stock. This one has become a favorite rifle. They all group well, but I really like the 20" barrel.

I have not chronograph'd the Lilja barreled ones. I did try the 270 grain LRX in the 20", from a Barnes listed load. It averaged 2723 fps. Previously I had been using the TSX versions in all the rifles.

I agree the cartridge has been easy and simple to hand-load for. I have had the same good fortune with the 416 Ruger in factory rifles with 350 grain TSX & TTSX.

The only real complaint I’ve had with any Ruger over the years was the trigger from the factory. They’ve been 100% reliable for me, packed a 7mag all over Alaska for 3yrs while stationed there. Busted the factory wood stock during a nasty fall but the Leupold scope and everything metal was fine.
I haven’t played with the latest version of the triggers but the version from 8 or so years ago definitely needed the love, it slicked up around 3lb and is very usable.
Cerkote the Ruger and polish the sear and trigger after removing a coil or two from the trigger spring and you’ll have a sweet shooter. The muzzle break will be handy for sighting in and easily removed. If you like the Hogue stock keep it if not there’s a few aftermarket options.

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
I sent my 375 Ruger M77 Alaskan for some unique modifications, custom stock, and slight weight reduction to Rick at Extreme Rifle Works and wow did it turn out well. Found him very easy to work with over all and a good guy. He's busy with a lot of projects but doesn't rush things and makes sure they're right.

Perch belly blind bottom stock holds 5 down, QD cups on left side for slinging across back when on snowmachine. It shoulders like a well fitted shotgun and the high negative comb is what I prefer. Trigger is around 3 lbs. and crisp.
Had him set the barrel back and rechamber to better suit 'pointy' bullets but still safely shoot A-Frames and similar. Chopped barrel to 19", turned it down a little on the lathe for balance, and threaded 5/8-24 (instead of silly 5/8-18 Ruger uses) with a flush sided but extra long thread protector (to protect the crown).
IMG_0154.JPG

There's another thread on here of a guide that had Rick work on a Guide Gun in 416 Ruger that weighs something like 5.5 lbs.... so the M77 leaves a lot of room for weight reduction if you should desire and find someone that knows how to do it safely. Total cost of gun will be a lot less than a full custom remington clone type if you happen to like M77s and don't mind some of polishing/working they need out of the box.

Attachments

• IMG_0161.JPG
    IMG_0161.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 34

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
Another option that may be overlooked, Snowy Mountain Rifles - Alaskan in 375 H&H.
If I had $$$$ for it, I'd have them build one with all the fixings. Defiance CRF action is standard, and could even go with a proof barrel if you wanted, custom cerakote, muzzle brakes, etc.
Good people and very much a premium option.

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to necro, but do yall prefer the lilja to bartlein and krieger for the 375 or 416? I used bartlein for my 300prc but their waits are nuts right now.

Although not a 375 Ruger. George Gardner at GA Precision designed a modified 375 H&H reamer, that will still shoot factory ammo and maximizes performance for hand loaders.

I’m shooting the Barnes 270 grain LRX at 2839 fps, using RL-17 and Norma brass. This combination has worked really well on moose, with the farthest shot at 396 yards and quite a few bulls killed at 300 plus yards.

The Barnes 270 LRX’s are very accurate. Applied Ballistics has a Custom Drag Model for this bullet. While truing up my software, I shot a 10-shot group at 718 yards, from the prone while using a bipod and rear bag. All 10 shots were inside of 0.64 MOA.

I don’t have experience with the 375 Ruger.

From my perspective, the 375 H&H is about perfect. Smooth cartridge feeding, good options for brass, comfortable to shoot (smooth recoil pulse), good velocities and more widely available support for the cartridge.

@MaraviaDave , what's different with the .375 reamer that does this? Is it like an Ackley'd .375, or .375 Weatherby?

ldmay375

FNG
Sorry to necro, but do yall prefer the lilja to bartlein and krieger for the 375 or 416? I used bartlein for my 300prc but their waits are nuts right now.
I have one 375 Ruger with a 23.5" Lilja stainless barrel, no complaints. But, I am also happy/satisfied with the factory 20" stainless barrels. I personally would have no hesitation using a Lilja.