360 grain arrow with grim reaper mechanical

Css1113

FNG
I’m shooting a 360 grain arrow at 70 pounds. It’s around 288 fps. Will a mechanical blade get the job done on such a light arrow?

Long Cut

WKR
It’s pretty easy to get a pass through in the heart, lung and stomach region of a deer. Things get western when you clip a bone (rib, shoulder, scapula etc…)

As long as you understand that and take good shots, keeping away from that shoulder/scapula area, you SHOULD be alright.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It depends on what you're shooting at. I shoot 500+ grain arrows going 285ish and rarely get complete passthroughs with GR Fatal Steel heads......big bulls and a moose. But they've blown through some deer and a sheep pretty easily. But you're talking 140gr lighter at similar speeds. I'd pass on those on anything bigger than deer.

Marble

WKR
You would be more comfortable with a fixed blade?
I like my elk arrow to be 450-500 grains, and I prefer a fixed 2 blade with bleeders. But I do carry a couple sevrs in my quiver in case a situation presents itself where I think that would work the best.

It takes a lot of energy to open some mechanical heads. And generally, the metals and construction of them are nowhere near what some fixed blades are made out of. I want that arrow to enter, stay sharp, and travel completely through the animal. All of those are very possible with the mechanical, and there are tons of successful hunters that use them. They have their place. But the likelihood of failure goes up with mechanical heads, so I like to eliminate possible points of failure. I would prefer the failure to be myself, rather than equipment.

So your arrow set up is not wrong. It will work. But for me, there are some limitations with it that make me uncomfortable.

Having a light fast arrow makes that arrow trajectory super flat. Eliminating some variance for missing high/low. But in my experience, most elk killed with a bow are fairly close. 60 yards would be fairly far, with the average probably being closer to 25-30 yards.

There is also the durability consideration. Not sure what arrow you are shooting, but usually the really light arrows are fairly fragile. And although they are very accurate, they will break much easier than a standard arrow.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
C

Css1113

FNG
I like my elk arrow to be 450-500 grains, and I prefer a fixed 2 blade with bleeders. But I do carry a couple sevrs in my quiver in case a situation presents itself where I think that would work the best.

It takes a lot of energy to open some mechanical heads. And generally, the metals and construction of them are nowhere near what some fixed blades are made out of. I want that arrow to enter, stay sharp, and travel completely through the animal. All of those are very possible with the mechanical, and there are tons of successful hunters that use them. They have their place. But the likelihood of failure goes up with mechanical heads, so I like to eliminate possible points of failure. I would prefer the failure to be myself, rather than equipment.

So your arrow set up is not wrong. It will work. But for me, there are some limitations with it that make me uncomfortable.

Having a light fast arrow makes that arrow trajectory super flat. Eliminating some variance for missing high/low. But in my experience, most elk killed with a bow are fairly close. 60 yards would be fairly far, with the average probably being closer to 25-30 yards.

There is also the durability consideration. Not sure what arrow you are shooting, but usually the really light arrows are fairly fragile. And although they are very accurate, they will break much easier than a standard arrow.

I hear you. I think I’ll stick with a fixed blades. I was just worried how differential my shot would be from a field point to a fixed blade. This will be my first archery mule hunt so I know it’s possible my distance could be a little stretched compared to elk. I’m shooting the rip tko gamers 8.7 cut at 27”

Beendare

WKR
I’ve seen similar arrows to that work…and have seen them fail at a much higher rate than others.

As you probably know, you are matching an inefficient design to a light arrow- not the best combo….plus, you are probably using that head to avoid BH tuning.

Luked

WKR
I personally would not shoot that arrow and BH setup but thats me.
@Css1113 I'm curious to your setup though.
288fps with a 360gr arrow setup with a 70lb bow.
What bow, draw length and arrow are you shooting?
The only reason I ask is my V3X is at 70lbs with a 30" draw length is shooting a 460 gr arrow and is running 280fps.

Marble

WKR
I hear you. I think I’ll stick with a fixed blades. I was just worried how differential my shot would be from a field point to a fixed blade. This will be my first archery mule hunt so I know it’s possible my distance could be a little stretched compared to elk. I’m shooting the rip tko gamers 8.7 cut at 27”
Like it's been said above, a properly tuned bow will shoot field points with fixed blades. At distance, often the fixed blades hit slightly low due to the extra drag of the fixed blade, but it's minimal. You have plenty of time to get that figured out. It usually only takes me one s session to confirm.

If the fixed blades do not hit with field points, your bow either needs tuning, your spine is off or your form needs work.

Bump79

WKR
I'm not a fan. However, I don't know what you're shooting at or what mechanical.

I'd go to a B3 Destrukt 3b or RAD Low Profile Vented in fixed if purely looking at flight forgiveness.

1000009983.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Zac
OP
C

Css1113

FNG
I personally would not shoot that arrow and BH setup but thats me.
@Css1113 I'm curious to your setup though.
288fps with a 360gr arrow setup with a 70lb bow.
What bow, draw length and arrow are you shooting?
The only reason I ask is my V3X is at 70lbs with a 30" draw length is shooting a 460 gr arrow and is running 280fps.
I’m shooting an alpha x 30 27.5 inch draw length at #67 pounds. I was running 294 fps with a 350 grain arrow. I was just doing an educated guess for 288 fps if I gained some grains on the arrow

OP
C

Css1113

FNG
Like it's been said above, a properly tuned bow will shoot field points with fixed blades. At distance, often the fixed blades hit slightly low due to the extra drag of the fixed blade, but it's minimal. You have plenty of time to get that figured out. It usually only takes me one s session to confirm.

If the fixed blades do not hit with field points, your bow either needs tuning, your spine is off or your form needs work.

Thank you I appreciate it

king402

FNG
I've seen the grim reaper do some crazy damage with huge blood trails but I wouldn't personally shoot it with light of an arrow.

Reactions: Zac