.338 win mag for MuleDeer

Bearcat39

FNG
My family and I are going on our first Mule deer hunt. I have a Winchester Model 70 .338 that I love and have used on Moose and a Whitetail. This is my first ever Mule deer hunt. We are hunting late second season in GMU's 52, 53, 62, 63, 65 & 521. This is through Rugged Rack Outfitters. Would the .338 win mag be great or would it be wise to get more of a medium caliber like a 6.5 or 30.06? Also has anyone had any experience with this outfitter? I have a really good friend who has been with them and had great success and a great time with them, so they were highly reccomended. Thank you

Choupique

WKR
If you shoot it well, bring it. The beauty of having a .338 win mag is being able to go shoot just about anything in the world with what you have.

If you don't own a .30-06 this might be the perfect excuse to get one...

OP
B

Bearcat39

FNG
I do shoot it well and love it as a gun. Thanks for the advice. Also, I'll use any excuse to get a new gun lol.

hunterjmj

WKR
I'd just take it. My dad used his 338 a few times on mule deer. Killed them with no more damage than anything else. I never shot it cause it kicked like a mule.

MTWop

Lil-Rokslider
Shot several deer with 225 grain accubonds while elk hunting. It is unnecessary, but didn’t cause excessive meat damage with well placed shots. If I’m after deer exclusively I take my 270 as I prefer the weight, reduced recoil and ammo cost. Take the smaller cartridge

OP
B

Bearcat39

FNG
The whitetail I had shot had actually less damage than any I have shot with my .450 bushmaster. Thanks for the responses. I love the gun so wanted to just get some input from those who have also used then.

gerry35

WKR
Can't see why not as long as you don't use bullets that are too tough and don't expand well.

For those who have used the 230 gr ELD-X specifically for all around use what were your results? My young hunting partner just got a 338 WM and these factory loads are the most available.

If you shoot it well, it seems like a no brainer to take it. Use what you are proficient with. Dead is dead and I’m sure that 338 will kill a mulie.

But maybe buy another gun for a backup just Incase!!! 😂you can never have too many rifles!

OP
B

Bearcat39

FNG
If you shoot it well, it seems like a no brainer to take it. Use what you are proficient with. Dead is dead and I’m sure that 338 will kill a mulie.

But maybe buy another gun for a backup just Incase!!! 😂you can never have too many rifles!
Exactly haha

OP
B

Bearcat39

FNG
Well now that I am going to get a new rifle, lol, I am very intrigued by the 6.5 Sig Cross. Anyone have thoughts on it?

LoggerDan

WKR
before I hopped on the 35 whelen wagon, I was sincerely devoted to the 338 win mag. It’s fine for deer, and bucks wind really well

Wags

WKR
Well now that I am going to get a new rifle, lol, I am very intrigued by the 6.5 Sig Cross. Anyone have thoughts on it?

If you search Sig Cross on here you'll find a few threads on it.

I don't own one so I can't offer much.

Fire power

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't used it on muleys, but have on white-tails. Might be overkill, but you can't kill them too dead. As far as recoil, I would take a 338 win recoil over a 30-06 any day of the week. '06 is sharp recoil. 338 is just a slow shove, I compare it to a muzzleloader. I've had 4 '06s, and am done with them. Give me a 338 and I'm a happy man, other than the ammo cost.

SDHNTR

WKR
Can't see why not as long as you don't use bullets that are too tough and don't expand well.

For those who have used the 230 gr ELD-X specifically for all around use what were your results? My young hunting partner just got a 338 WM and these factory loads are the most available.
Do the opposite of this.

Use a frangible bullet with a .338 and you could be kissing half the meat goodbye. Personally, I would go with opposite thinking on this one. I wouldn’t want much expansion. Copper. The .338 hole is big enough.