308 tikka conversion

cjcavinaw

FNG
Looking at building my tikka, it is currently 100% stock chambered in 308. Was curious if anyone has gone from short action standard bolt to a long action? Looking at going to a 280 AI as I figure all that needs to be done is to swap out the bolt stop and magazines. Has anyone done this before or can confirm if that is all that needs to be done?

G37some

FNG
yes that is all that needs to be done. but depending on what weight bullet you will be shooting, you will be limiting yourself. if you are looking at shooting heavy 7mm bullets fast you might be better off looking at
284 winchester

Ram94

WKR
New barrel. Haha I’m assuming you know that, just wasn’t in your post.

As others have pointed out switching to a long caliber in a tikka action is generally not a great idea and you limit yourself in bullet selection and seating depth. Short and fat works well in tikkas IMO. I like to get the bullets near the lands.

Not saying it can't or won't work well but a prime example is my brother's 300 win tikka that he had to convert to aics mags now $$$ because every bullet we tried loading for didn't like the .200 jump it had to make to get to the lands. They all preferred .025 to .050 off.

ElkSnort

Lil-Rokslider
yes that is all that needs to be done. but depending on what weight bullet you will be shooting, you will be limiting yourself. if you are looking at shooting heavy 7mm bullets fast you might be better off looking at
284 winchester
I was going to do this until Lapua postponed .284 win production indefinitely just recently.