.308 reloading cost vs. benefit?

logem

FNG
I think it's worth it to obtain some components and work up a load in case you can't find factory ammo when you need it. I'm doing this right now with 7mm Rem Mag rounds with Nosler Partition and Nosler Accubonds. Yet, if these ever become available again as factory rounds, I'd certainly use those for my practice shooting sessions. My time is valuable and I'd pay a little more for factory practice rounds.

I also recently developed loads for my 45 ACP for the same self sustainability reason. Yet, I can buy Winchester white box FMJ round nose ball ammo for less than it costs me to reload. For this reason, I just bought quite a bit for target practice.

I'd calculate the costs and make a judgement based on your needs, cost, availability of good factory ammo, accuracy, and time.

lacire

FNG
I live in California, since 2019 we can only hunt with non-lead bullets. When and if you can find factory non-lead hunting rounds on the shelf’s in your caliber you better stock up, every time we buy ammo they do a background check, we get charged a dollar for it, we can’t order ammo and have it shipped to our house, we can only order and have it shipped to an FFL dealer, for an additional charge. So you can see why I hand load even for .308 win.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
I live in California, since 2019 we can only hunt with non-lead bullets. When and if you can find factory non-lead hunting rounds on the shelf’s in your caliber you better stock up, every time we buy ammo they do a background check, we get charged a dollar for it, we can’t order ammo and have it shipped to our house, we can only order and have it shipped to an FFL dealer, for an additional charge. So you can see why I hand load even for .308 win.
You're overdue for a relocation my friend. :)

I think it depends on the rifle...I shoot 150gr ABs and 180gr NP out of my .308 18" supressed. Last box of Federal 180gr NP I picked up was 49 bucks plus shipping, if you can find it. So for that round reloading is the only way I can get it. Also there are very few factory rounds I chronograph that match the numbers on the box, mostly due to my short barrel. I have load for my 150gr AB that's little over 2800fps in my rifle. If your shooting a shorter barrel I think it's worth it.

For inside 300 yards, i'd not bother reloading at all. There are oodles of cheap ammo that would kill whatever fine at that range. If making a 450-500 yard western hunting rifle out of an 18" 308, I'd probably want to load a stiff charge behind a 155 scenar to get more out of the medicore ballistics associated with an 18" 308. Not that it wont work but I just wouldn't choose that rifle for that application.

Whether the ballistic #'s prove out that logic or not, I don't know. That's just my gut feel without having done it.

Rich M

WKR
As a young energetic guy with more time than money, reloading was a no-brainer and I couldn’t understand why everyone didn’t reload. With age and a busy life, not to mention range time is much more of a hassle, the benefits aren’t as clear.
I agree 100%.

The pricing thing is what gets me.

150 gr 30-06 Coreloct is $38 a box per google search just now. I bought a case in 2018 or 2019 at $14/box plus got a rebate. Last time I bought 3006 ammo.

Will buy $16/box 350 Legend target ammo cause it is cheaper than I can reload and gives brass that can't be found elsewhere. a box or two every now and again.

$30/$40/$50 box for ammo isn't appealing at all. This inflation stuff and limited supply at higher prices. Eh.