.308 reloading cost vs. benefit?

For hunting applications, not match, are those that reload for .308 doing it primarily to save money on factory ammo or for better precision, performance, etc...? A quick Ammoseek search shows a guy can get the 168 grain A-Max and ELDM for around $28/box.

What is the average improvement on cost per round when reloading with Varget and 168gr ELDM?
What are the average improvements in FPS (trajectory) with the same loads?

I have a press and powder for reloading less popular and more expensive ammo like my .25-06. Just trying to figure out if the cost of dies, powder, and bullets for my .308 is worth it. I have at least 200 once-fired brass laying around.

LaHunter

WKR
You can put a pencil to it and figure that out yourself, based on the components that you will be using . My $.02, if you can find factory ammo that performs up to your standards at a reasonable price, go that route. If you factor in the time involved in precision rifle ammo reloading, there probably isn’t much cost savings.

cougarred

FNG
If you bought the components years ago and stocked up when prices were normal. Then yes reload, however if you gotta buy them today at these ridiculous prices, then no, just buy factory unless you shoot alot.

TaperPin

WKR
You aren’t alone in this. Just the other day I spent some time in the factory ammo isle and was impressed with the variety and selection of premium bullets, an the reasonable cost of the non-premium stuff.

As a young energetic guy with more time than money, reloading was a no-brainer and I couldn’t understand why everyone didn’t reload. With age and a busy life, not to mention range time is much more of a hassle, the benefits aren’t as clear.

TxLite

WKR
As a young energetic guy with more time than money, reloading was a no-brainer and I couldn’t understand why everyone didn’t reload. With age and a busy life, not to mention range time is much more of a hassle, the benefits aren’t as clear.
This is what has been getting me lately. It’s been hard to set aside time for load development and tweaking.

I really enjoy reloading but my free time isn’t what it used to be.

TaperPin

WKR
The modern ammo is pretty decent, but I prefer partitions and there’s only one that factory loads it, so DIY is my only option.

Plus it’s nice having the ability to brew your own instead of begging at the gun shop when they are short.
There’s a lot of wisdom in what you said. The partitions aren’t as sexy as the new premium bullets, but they just work really well.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Thanks for the replies fellas. Preparing for my '21 elk hunt, buying premium ammo was kicking my butt. It was "normal" pay $70 for Federal TBT, TA and Hornady Match and Precision Hunter. At that time I was like man, I need to start reloading these .308 rounds, so I kept all the brass. Fast forward to now, and being much more knowledgable on bullet construction, I'm not so sure.

If a guy like me that shoots 200-300 rounds a year can get into the 168 A-Max and ELDM for less than $30 per box, I'm not sure the reloading juice is worth the squeeze.

I will continue to load for my .25-06 as that round has sentimental value and I'm planning a fast twist project for the future.

Definitely not a cost decision for me. Reloading is way more to get started if you like premium hardware.

I’m starting to reload my 6.5 CM for the simple fact that I chopped the barrel to 18” and therefore want to regain some of my effective range back. If you’re looking to stretch out potential shots beyond 500 yards I think the calculus on reloading changes. Inside of 400 yards? Factory ammo all day if you can find a good cartridge even at $80/box.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Definitely not a cost decision for me. Reloading is way more to get started if you like premium hardware.

I’m starting to reload my 6.5 CM for the simple fact that I chopped the barrel to 18” and therefore want to regain some of my effective range back. If you’re looking to stretch out potential shots beyond 500 yards I think the calculus on reloading changes. Inside of 400 yards? Factory ammo all day if you can find a good cartridge even at $80/box.
I have delusions of grandeur about being able to confidently shoot beyond 4-500 yards at some point in the future, but given the time available, it will likely never happen. Looks like factory ammo at current prices is the way to go for now.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
It’s hard to put a price on being able to make something you can’t buy.
Agree, and to put that statement to the test, how much additional FPS can a guy get out of a 168 grain ELDM handload vs. factory?

Standard factory 168 ELDM out of 24" test barrel is published at 2,700 fps.
Superformance 168 ELDM out of 24" test barrel is published at 2,840 fps.

My barrel is 22" and I plan to cut down to 18" and run suppressed in the future. If the estimations of 20-30 fps reduction per inch of barrel length is true, I'd still have enough velocity for reliable expansion at 500 yards on the extreme end of my range.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Okay, so the cheapest I could find for the 168 grain Superformance ELDM was $42.25 including tax and free ship to store. That equates to $2.11 per round.

Component and reloading costs I calculated without shipping are below:
  • 1lb varget- $53
    • 7000 grains per pound
    • 44 grains per cartridge
    • 159 catridges per pound
    • $.33 per cartridge
  • 250 count 168 ELDM- $112
    • $.44 per cartridge
  • 1000 count large rifle primers- $170
    • $.17 per cartridge
Powder plus bullet, plus primer gross cost- $.94 (not including shipping). This assumes you have brass on hand.

A guy also has to consider their time. If you're not reloading thousands of round per year and set up with an efficient multi-turet press, and have a single turret press like myslef, the time to re-size, prime, charge, and load bullets is significant. Then there is load development and potentially multiple trips to the range to get it dialed in.

Given variable shipping costs and less tangible time costs, I think reloading for .308 for the average hunter is a break-even proposition if not negatie equity endeavor.

49ereric

WKR
Your view of reloading is assuming your bullet of choice likes your barrel or vice versa.
most of us reloading seek to find the bullet the barrel shoots best and tailor the OAL to find the sweet spot. This will include shooting different weight & different brand bullets to see which gives us the best possible accuracy.
if you can find a factory ammo that shoots very well then buy a case or two and shoot less and you’ll save some coin more than likely.

A382DWDZQ

WKR
Agree, and to put that statement to the test, how much additional FPS can a guy get out of a 168 grain ELDM handload vs. factory?

Standard factory 168 ELDM out of 24" test barrel is published at 2,700 fps.
Superformance 168 ELDM out of 24" test barrel is published at 2,840 fps.

My barrel is 22" and I plan to cut down to 18" and run suppressed in the future. If the estimations of 20-30 fps reduction per inch of barrel length is true, I'd still have enough velocity for reliable expansion at 500 yards on the extreme end of my range.
For me, it’s recently been about downloading to the bare minimum necessary to get to 250 with at 168 TTSX and 18” barrel. That is the kids’ low recoil load.

Your view of reloading is assuming your bullet of choice likes your barrel or vice versa.
most of us reloading seek to find the bullet the barrel shoots best and tailor the OAL to find the sweet spot. This will include shooting different weight & different brand bullets to see which gives us the best possible accuracy.
if you can find a factory ammo that shoots very well then buy a case or two and shoot less and you’ll save some coin more than likely.

And as soon as you find the perfect bullet/seating depth/powder/primer your barrel is shot out and time to start again!

It’s a hobby, not a money saver.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Again, this is for hunting, and I've shot the factory ELDM out of this rifle and it shoots it well. This and the various discussons on the site about the ELDM and its ability to kill are why I limited bullet choice in this example. I was just wanting to hear folks perspectives and then put some paper to pen on costs.

49ereric

WKR
Again, this is for hunting, and I've shot the factory ELDM out of this rifle and it shoots it well. This and the various discussons on the site about the ELDM and its ability to kill are why I limited bullet choice in this example. I was just wanting to hear folks perspectives and then put some paper to pen on costs.
I knew what you meant but most of us reload for accuracy for hunting cuz any decent bullet will put an animal down with a well place shot.
really no need to pay attention to advertising claims of superior bullets cuz not enough difference usually to matter cuz a thru and thru lung hit is a dead critter.
I stick to flat based bullets.