308 168 ELD-Ms on Game

OP
General RE LEE
100%..."melting tips" are a non factor and when Hornady came out with their claim of their tip being the hardest to melt there were already tipped bullets with Higher melting points. Hornady markets very well and somehow guys don't see they are just cup and core bullets...the same that have been around for decades.

Hornady bullets are widely available, affordable and they have excellent customer service. Compare that to Berger’s availability and pricing.

ianpadron

WKR
I'd like to hear some feedback from guys running the 168 ELDM in a .308 Win with elk on the menu.

I killed a bear at 300 yds a couple years ago with that bullet and was blown away by its performance, definition of bang flop, fully exited the off shoulder.

I'll be running my .308 for Spring bear here pretty quick to collect more data points, but I really want to put one through a bull this coming fall.

168 a-max killed a truck load of deer for a few years from my 308. From 250-550yd they are my go to 308 bullet, stay off shoulders if your inside 200yd. My rifle loves them and inside 200yd I normally ear hole them. 44ish gr of varget was my accuracy node in a 26” barrel. Used to shoot eggs and golf balls at 300yd with boring regularity. When everything was more affordable back in the good ole days.
Eldm is from what I’ve seen it’s the exact same construction, maybe the fancy new plastic makes a difference with faster cartridges. Since I’m nearly out of a-max the eld-m will have to do when I drag black Betty out of retirement.

OP
General RE LEE
Thread bump. Was pounding a vital sized steel plate at 600 yards this morning with the 168 ELDMs. .308 hits harder than my trusty 6.5 Creedmoor.

gman82001

WKR
Actually just asked about this in the thread about loading this seasons hunting ammo.

I’ll ask here as well

Cow elk out to about 350 pushed by 44gr varget stupid accurate for my abilities very confident with it. Is that a bullet you’d shoot at a cow elk’s lungs? (probably try to stay off the shoulder since it’s not my 7mag with accubonds)

Actually just asked about this in the thread about loading this seasons hunting ammo.

I’ll ask here as well

Cow elk out to about 350 pushed by 44gr varget stupid accurate for my abilities very confident with it. Is that a bullet you’d shoot at a cow elk’s lungs? (probably try to stay off the shoulder since it’s not my 7mag with accubonds)
It will break the shoulder and reach vitals. These are awesome bullets.

BjornF16

WKR

I’ll ask here as well

The little 6.5mm 140 ELD-M pierced black bear's shoulder scapula, made mince pie out of the lungs, and broke/dislocated the off-side shoulder with 50% bullet weight found under the hide at 200 yards from Creedmoor. Didn't take a step.

The 168 ELD-M will do fine on elk

gman82001

WKR
Thanks fellas I’m not going to make a big deal of building up a different load then and just keep shooting and practicing with these Eld M now.
Got my new suppressor last week so need to get it in paper and see if they play nice together and I can use it for hunting.

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
Any bullet can kill a deer, and I have used ELDMs on game with great success. However, this a however. ELDXs are designed specifically for game. Big differences in jacket thickness and the bond between the jacket and core. It is very likely, you will get a jacket core separation on an ELDM vs an ELDX. To me, it’s similar to mechanical broadheads. Eventually it’s going to happen, and one will malfunction. It’s mechanical. If you shoot enough animals with an ELDM, one is going to run off and never be found. With the only difference being the bullet. I use ELDMs only in one rifle as my rifle just loves the bullet weight and shoots much better ES/SD with heavier bullet. I would never risk on big game but a deer, Ill probably continue too.

Any bullet can kill a deer, and I have used ELDMs on game with great success. However, this a however. ELDXs are designed specifically for game. Big differences in jacket thickness and the bond between the jacket and core. It is very likely, you will get a jacket core separation on an ELDM vs an ELDX. To me, it’s similar to mechanical broadheads. Eventually it’s going to happen, and one will malfunction. It’s mechanical. If you shoot enough animals with an ELDM, one is going to run off and never be found. With the only difference being the bullet. I use ELDMs only in one rifle as my rifle just loves the bullet weight and shoots much better ES/SD with heavier bullet. I would never risk on big game but a deer, Ill probably continue too.
In my experience the ELDM kills animals way more effectively than the ELDX and bonded and monolithic bullets.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Any bullet can kill a deer, and I have used ELDMs on game with great success. However, this a however. ELDXs are designed specifically for game. Big differences in jacket thickness and the bond between the jacket and core. It is very likely, you will get a jacket core separation on an ELDM vs an ELDX.

ELD-X isn’t a bonded bullet. There is a “lock” ring, and ELD-X get jacket and core separations. Though, jacket and core separations almost always happen at the very end of the wound channel, and have don’t kill any less.

To me, it’s similar to mechanical broadheads. Eventually it’s going to happen, and one will malfunction. It’s mechanical. If you shoot enough animals with an ELDM, one is going to run off and never be found. With the only difference being the bullet. I use ELDMs only in one rifle as my rifle just loves the bullet weight and shoots much better ES/SD with heavier bullet. I would never risk on big game but a deer, Ill probably continue too.

What is the difference in actual wound channels between an ELD-X and ELD-M of similar weights?

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
ELD-X isn’t a bonded bullet. There is a “lock” ring, and ELD-X get jacket and core separations. Though, jacket and core separations almost always happen at the very end of the wound channel, and have don’t kill any less.

What is the difference in actual wound channels between an ELD-X and ELD-M of similar weights?
Im aware. If a bullet comes apart at entry, which the ELDM has a substantial larger chance of happening, the lethal probabilities are decreased substantially. This is especially so on a possible rib bone or larger bone contact. Additionally, the ELDX will most likely cause a larger wound channel, as it is designed to stay together and expand to the lock ring. You should listen the Ballistician’s discuss the Hornady podcast. I think you would find it interesting. They have a lot of data proving the disadvantages. Hornady engineers highly recommend not hunting with the ELDM.

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience the ELDM kills animals way more effectively than the ELDX and bonded and monolithic bullets.
My experience has been they both kill equally, as well. My only point - is that according to the people that design the bullet, eventually it won’t and math will catch-up with you. I did have an ELDM come apart really badly but it just blasted rib bone through the vitals and it was instant death. I can see on a shoulder how that might be a problem.

BjornF16

WKR
Im aware. If a bullet comes apart at entry, which the ELDM has a substantial larger chance of happening, the lethal probabilities are decreased substantially. This is especially so on a possible rib bone or larger bone contact. Additionally, the ELDX will most likely cause a larger wound channel, as it is designed to stay together and expand to the lock ring. You should listen the Ballistician’s discuss the Hornady podcast. I think you would find it interesting. They have a lot of data proving the disadvantages. Hornady engineers highly recommend not hunting with the ELDM.

Dayyum…I better tell my bear skin rug what is supposed to happen when an ELD-M passes through both shoulders