.300wsm barrel length

So I recently purchased a Winchester model 70 (new version) .300wsm. It came with a custom barrel, work done to the trigger and maybe some work to the action.

I took it into a gun smith to see about some barrel fluting and a new stock recommendation. While he was there he said the barrel at 25" is to long for this caliber and recommend a 20"-22" barrel.

I was wondering what is everyone's opinion on the pros and cons of each length or if they have any data to help me make this decision.

I will be going for sheep this year but I still prefer accuracy. I am going to be shooting 200gr Hornady ELD-X through it. We have elk and grizzly bears where I hunt. Probably won't put on a break on it.

Thank you for the responses

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think it matters for the most part. 25" would have less muzzle blast. I have one at 24" and the other 18.5". The second one I run suppressed. Both work great. Good Luck!

jimh406

WKR
If you've shot it, and it shoots great, I'd leave it alone. I don't know what too long means in this context. Sure, you can cut it to reduce the velocity. The only 20" I've seen in a 300 WSM from the factory is a Savage although they also sell 24" as well.

If you are wanting to restock, flute, rebarrel and/or have the barrel cut and recrossed, I'd considering buying a different gun and maybe a different caliber. There are manufacturers now that make shorter barrel rifles in folding stocks, for instance including Savage, Bergara, and Sig.

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I have a custom rifle and I have a 20” proof on it. I reloaded for the 200gr ELDx. I got 2,760fps with my H-4350 loads. The barrel is broke in. I do like the shorter barrel because I shoot a TBAC Ultra 9 gen 2 suppressor. I am going to try 175gr Barnes LRX this year and try to get them to 3,100fps with H4350 or H4831SC. I shot a deer at 60yrds and the ELDX didn’t pass through. I also didn’t like the recoil needed to get it moving that fast. If I can get 3,100fps or close to it with the Barnes, then I’d can essentially get the same effective range as the 200gr ELDX and with a pass through.

I know a cut barrel can mess up accuracy if done incorrectly. If you are fine with the barrel length, can get the speed you want, and are good with the recoil, then stay with what you have.

ldmay375

FNG
So I recently purchased a Winchester model 70 (new version) .300wsm. It came with a custom barrel, work done to the trigger and maybe some work to the action.

I took it into a gun smith to see about some barrel fluting and a new stock recommendation. While he was there he said the barrel at 25" is to long for this caliber and recommend a 20"-22" barrel.

I was wondering what is everyone's opinion on the pros and cons of each length or if they have any data to help me make this decision.

I will be going for sheep this year but I still prefer accuracy. I am going to be shooting 200gr Hornady ELD-X through it. We have elk and grizzly bears where I hunt. Probably won't put on a break on it.

A 25" barrel "Too long" for .308 caliber or 300 WSM cartridge, is purely a subjective/personal opinion. It is not like you are losing velocity because of bullet travel in the barrel. If you are happy with the handling of the rifle at its present length, leave it be.

I bought a Ruger 300 WSM with a 22". I have not gotten around to shooting it, so cannot quote velocities. I prefer, 24 to 22" lengths on the WSM, but that is purely a personal preference - not a velocity nor accuracy performance based decision -

If the 25" does not cause you grief in your use, I would leave as is. Unless, I just wanted less barrel. If I were chasing velocity, I would definitely leave as is.

Matt5266

WKR
My winchester model 70 300 WSM came with a 24 inch barrel. I had it threaded back when I was in high school and have a brake on it. That is the most accurate rifle I've ever owned.

gerry35

WKR

The 25" barrel being too long is an odd statement by the gunsmith. The 300 WSM definitely can be used with a shorter barrel but other than handling reasons there's no need to go shorter. If you like how it is as is keep it the same. A nice light stock like a Wildcat or other make would be a good investment for a mountain hunter.

Good luck on your hunt this fall.

KenLee

WKR
I have 300wsm rifles with 22, 23 and 24 inch barrels. Can't tell the difference in performance, but shorter is definitely handier. I don't use brakes or cans.

The only reason I would cut it shorter is if you plan to suppress it. Yes, a 22" barrel would be a bit handier, but in sheep country it won't matter that much.
I would recommend shooting it before you do anything. Fluting it or cutting it down could have a detrimental effect on how it performs.

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
Follow up from above:

I’m just getting back from the range. I have a 20” Proof cut for a Terminus Zeus SA QC, TBAC Ultra 9 Gen 2 shooting the 175gr LRX at 2,885fps, 50mils off the lands. 64gr H4350. The rifle seems to really love it. I tried higher charges but I’m getting stupid consistency. One session of 4rd had a 4.4SD and the next 4rds had a 2.7SD. I’m done. It’s like one hole too. It’s better than I ever shot with any other loads and my 200gr ELDX loads.

I tried H4831SC in same session and I couldn’t get any speed before I was compressing it too much.

I’m going to pull all of 200gr ELDX bullets and load for the 175gr LRX. I think I want the penetration over the extra mass with a more expansive bullet.

Message me if you think you may want the 200gr ELDX bullets I have.