300WSM - Barrel Length Decision - How Short?

jimh406

WKR
I don't think it's a good idea to cut a magnum barrel off and keep the same load. There is no sense using more powder that will never completely burn. So, I'd create a new load just for the short barrel.

At some point, it would make more sense to buy a separate gun for brush, that's shorter lighter and with a different scope and no brake required. Perhaps a 308 or similar that won't lose much velocity with the shorter length.

Then, keep the 300 WSM where you know length won't be an issue.

Royal7

FNG
I’ve been stuck on the similar topic for a while. And has landed about where this thread is but recently considering this:

I’m usually a traditional stock guy but seriously considering using a chassis like the xlr and can tote it folded to prevent catching brush but then have the barrel length/performance of the full length barrel?

Aside from aesthetics, any other negatives of this to consider that I’m missing? Seems to be best of both world? Compact when hunting but performance when shooting?

OP
A

AKMoose

WKR
I ended up sending on cutting the barrel to around 18.5", which gives a finished length just about 20". Man this thing is short and handy now!

ill post back here once I see what sort of velocity I can still get out of it.

JRS3

FNG
I have or had .300 WSMs with 26, 24, and 23” barrels. My next will have a 20”.

Avonac

Lil-Rokslider
I’m waiting on a 20” Carbon Six barrel now. The velocity trade off for a more manageable length suppressed rifle works for me.

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
I built a 20" shot 200 grains at 2830-2850. It shot 185 Juggernauts at 2940.

Juggs would be my choice. Great killing bullets and with an Ok BC.
The 185 Juggernaut OTM Tactical Rifle Bullet or the 185 Grain Juggernaut Target Rifle Bullet? Not really sure how they’re different.

G7 BC: 0.283 G1 BC: 0.552
G7 BC: 0.284 G1 BC: 0.555

I have or had .300 WSMs with 26, 24, and 23” barrels. My next will have a 20”.
Could you please provide measured velocities (and bullets/powders shot) that you were obtaining from all of these? I'm experimenting with a Mark V, going from 26" to 22". The important part for bullet stability is to ensure that it rotates at least twice in the barrel. So, if you have a 1:10" twist, your minimum barrel length should be 20", but pros recommend a bit extra, on top of that. My concern: how's the muzzle fireball? Or are you running reduced loads?

I ended up sending on cutting the barrel to around 18.5", which gives a finished length just about 20". Man this thing is short and handy now!

ill post back here once I see what sort of velocity I can still get out of it.
Interested in the results here. A guy at range did same thing and he was basically getting 30-06 speeds with factory ammo. Did not seem worth it to me to shoot a 300 wsm and have the extra recoil and muzzle blast that much closer to your face when you can just shoot a standard length barrel 06 sans brake without the drama.

The 185 Juggernaut OTM Tactical Rifle Bullet or the 185 Grain Juggernaut Target Rifle Bullet? Not really sure how they’re different.

G7 BC: 0.283 G1 BC: 0.552
G7 BC: 0.284 G1 BC: 0.555
It's my understanding that OTM are designed to work well in mags (bullet length, seating depth), as in tactical situations. Target are longer and can be used single-loaded, during a match, etc. The latter have slightly better ballistics.

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
It's my understanding that OTM are designed to work well in mags (bullet length, seating depth), as in tactical situations. Target are longer and can be used single-loaded, during a match, etc. The latter have slightly better ballistics.
From Berger FAQs
6715C99A-A915-414A-8929-A0B0B2093152.jpeg

From Berger FAQs
View attachment 508683From Berger Database:
1675044875582.png

It's splitting hairs, but this is puzzling to me. According to Berger measurements the two are similar (not the same) and 0.011" difference in bullet OAL does make a difference, correct? I think I stand corrected on this one - thank you - the bullets are nearly the same; I extrapolated this from their 230 gr OTM vs. Target, where the differences are more significant.

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 508831

It's splitting hairs, but this is puzzling to me. According to Berger measurements the two are similar (not the same) and 0.011" difference in bullet OAL does make a difference, correct? I think I stand corrected on this one - thank you - the bullets are nearly the same; I extrapolated this from their 230 gr OTM vs. Target, where the differences are more significant.
That is interesting! Like you said, splitting hairs, but all the same.

Arken7mm

FNG
If you throat the chamber a little, put in a long action bolt stop and use the right powder, you can probably get all of the speed back from the cut barrel vs what factory ammo can do in the longer barrel.
This is interesting. Have you ever done these modifications before on a short barrel 300wsm? I'm looking into a rifle build in 300wsm with a 18" to 20" inch barrel with either a XLR or MDT chassis. Could those modifications be done on either of those chassis with an aftermarket action like a ARC, BAT or Defiance?

z987k

WKR
This is interesting. Have you ever done these modifications before on a short barrel 300wsm? I'm looking into a rifle build in 300wsm with a 18" to 20" inch barrel with either a XLR or MDT chassis. Could those modifications be done on either of those chassis with an aftermarket action like a ARC, BAT or Defiance?
It's what everyone does with the saums and 284win that chambers them these days.
It's why defiance has a medium length action. Or why people like short action cartridges in long action tikkas.