300WM Ammo Ideas: What to Try Next

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
I have a M70 EWSS 300WM that I am having trouble find a good load for and would prefer not to order every option on Brownells/Midway to find something it likes. I will be using factory ammo for now.

What I have tried so far (100 yards-3 shots)

Hornady 180gr Superperformance SST- 2.1”/3.5”
Hornady 200gr Precision Hunter-3.0”
Federal 180gr Non Typical-1.7”
Federal Premium 185gr Berger Hybrid-2.3”
Winchester 150gr Deer Season XP-1.2”

Still to try (already own):
Norma 150gr Whitetail
Winchester 180gr Power Point
Norma 180gr? Bond Strike
Federal 165gr TSX
Federal 165gr Fusion

I would really prefer to shoot a 180-200gr bullet, but so far it’s liked the 150gr the best. This rifle is supposed to be my do all heavy hitter, I have .243-270 for the lighter work that all shoot great.

Any ideas what other rounds might be worth trying based on results to date? I have a half dozen different boxes in my carts but that adds up quick. I’m ordering some other ammo and was going to throw a couple more boxes of 300 on to try.

I’m tempted to give the 180gr Sierra GameChanger a shot, my 6.5 loved it and it was respectable in my .243.

Make friends with someone who reloads or start reloading. For the price of those 10 boxes of ammo you could pick up a press, dies, tumbler, trimmer, reloading manual, a micrometer, and an endless supply of four letter words.

Make friends with someone who reloads or start reloading. For the price of those 10 boxes of ammo you could pick up a press, dies, tumbler, trimmer, reloading manual, a micrometer, and an endless supply of four letter words.

While this sounds good in theory, if he’s been through that much ammo, I don’t know that handloading is going to help.

I would send the rifle back to the manufacturer. There seems to be a bad component somewhere, likely a barrel or a poor chambering job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
B

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
While this sounds good in theory, if he’s been through that much ammo, I don’t know that handloading is going to help.

I would send the rifle back to the manufacturer. There seems to be a bad component somewhere, likely a barrel or a poor chambering job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Unfortunately based on his experience I don’t expect Winchester to be much help.

Thread 'Model 70 Extreme Weather accuracy issues'
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/model-70-extreme-weather-accuracy-issues.338560/

I’ll probably get a local smith to give it a look over and rebed it if I don’t have any luck with the next couple options.

Honestly, See the Winchester, get a Seekins, and save your pennies to start reloading. I just kinda pieced stuff together over the years. Went from 2" groups with factory ammo in various rifles and the ability to control your loads and the quality of those loads can't be matched. If I don't hover around half MOA now I am disappointed.

However, of the above loads, I have not shot any of the ones you have not but the 200gr hornady was ok. The winchester was junk, and I just shot it for the cases(covid...hard to get decent). The quality of those cases was marginal at best so not surprised you had less than stellar luck.