300 WSM reloading help needed

I tried Rl17 in my 300wsm, and while I achieved good velocity, my accuracy was sub-par. I switched over to Hodgdon H4350 shooting a 185 VLD. This has proven very accurate in my gun. Too bad you are from the people's republic of California, I believe Berger's are a no-go!!

OP
S
If it's been fired in your rifle and you intend to shoot it in that same rifle, you can neck size it. I would try a couple out and make sure the chamber will close to make sure your die is adjusted correctly. Sometimes neck sizing can be a little tricky.

Thanks, I'll try that.

OP
S
I tried Rl17 in my 300wsm, and while I achieved good velocity, my accuracy was sub-par. I switched over to Hodgdon H4350 shooting a 185 VLD. This has proven very accurate in my gun. Too bad you are from the people's republic of California, I believe Berger's are a no-go!!

Luckily I'm moving back to Canada in June so I'll be able to give the Bergers a go. The 2 bullets I want to test are the 180 TTSX and 185 VLD (also interested in the 190 VLD). My main concern for all those bullets is having them fit in my X-bolt magazine. Looking forward to getting my OAL gauge so I can figure out a starting point for seating off the lands and see if it works in my magazine.

OP
S
Just a quick update. I've just finished preparing my first round of brass and once I find some powder can finally attempt my first loads. I can already tell this is going to be an addicting hobby in itself.

For anyone looking at getting into reloading, I spent many many hours researching equipment and came out with the following. I'm a total newb, but I'm thrilled with the ease of use and quality of everything I got:

RCBS chargemaster 1500 combo (powder thrower and scale)
Redding Big Boss 2 single stage press
RCBS universal hand primer
Redding Deluxe 3 die set
Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ case tumbler
Hornady OAL measuring set
Hornady headspace gauge
LE Wilson micrometer case trimmer
LE Wilson deburring tool

I'm definitely a stickler for precision, and I really like how you can prep the brass to such uniformity with the help of the OAL headspace gauge and the LE wilson micrometer trimmer. It was a pleasure to use these tools and see such great results, with every case having the same headspace measurement and trimmed length to 0.001 inches. Very impressed.

Now to find some damn powder.....

OP
S
And so it begins........... :). Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

Yeah, as I buy more equipment the convincing argument to my wife that this will "actually save money" is quickly fading....but it really is surprisingly addictive.

Thanks for convincing me to get the tumbler by the way, that thing is slick!

KINGSNAKE

WKR
Save money. Hahahahhabhahahahhaahhahahahaha that's a good one. Seriously though, if you shoot a lot it is much cheaper per round. The problem I have is I shoot ten times what I used to. And, reloading will also make you want to expand your rifle collection.

OP
S
Save money. Hahahahhabhahahahhaahhahahahaha that's a good one. Seriously though of you shoot a lot it is much cheaper per round. The problem I have is I shoot ten times what I used to. And, reloading will also make you want to expand your rifle collection.

haha, yeah, I'm already heading in that direction. The per round savings is huge. My rifle loves Federal Premium trophy coppers, but back in Canada they're $75 per box, so $3.75 a round, insane! My reloading cost is right around $1.05/round with TTSX bullets, so significant savings for sure....I just have to shoot a whole bunch to recoup the start up reloading costs I guess;)

OP
S
Finally found some powder. Got one pound each of H4350 and the new IMR 4451.

I have lots of data for H4350, including directly from Barnes, but can't find anything for IMR 4451 in 300 WSM with 180 grain TTSX. Anyone know where to look?

bergnp

FNG
Finally found some powder. Got one pound each of H4350 and the new IMR 4451.

I have lots of data for H4350, including directly from Barnes, but can't find anything for IMR 4451 in 300 WSM with 180 grain TTSX. Anyone know where to look?

I see imr 4451 listed right next to imr4350 on the burn rate chart. I'd go with imr4350 Max load - 5% and work up looking for pressure signs.

On a side note, my buddy has been using those Barnes in his 300 wsm for years with imr4350. We chrono'd his loads today and got 2890 from 63.5 grains of powder behind that bullet. We had loaded him some Barnes ttsx 180's over rl-17 last week and got sub MOA groups, so we chrono'd that today as well and got 3030 fps. Much faster with no difference in recoil and grouping at least as good. And we used the same exact powder charge of 63.5. RL17 data was slim pickings, and since it's right there with 4350, we used the same load data. I'd guess you're safe to do the same with the 4451.

Let us know how it goes.