300 Win Mag recommendations… Thank you!!!

everestwc

FNG
Hello all…

I currently have a 20 year old Weatherby MKV 30-06 in stainless/ synthetic stock. I really like the rifle and am going to give it to my son as his first big caliber rifle.

I’m looking for a $1000-2000 ($2500 if I can’t live w/out it) NEW rifle in 300 win mag.

Wants: Synthetic stock (carbon could be cool) Cerakoted, threaded barrel (carbon would be cool) muzzle brake, reliable good shooting gun, 7 lb or less.

I’m not a professional marksman but would like a MOA capable rifle with premium store bought ammo.

Considering these rifles in no order:
-Tikka T3X Lite Roughtech (I really don’t like the way Tikka stocks feel, biggest negative to me, but I like the Roightech the most of the Tikka stocks. I also don’t think the action on the Roughtech is cerakoted.). $1100

-Weatherby MKV Hunter (7.3 lbs is the negative)
$1200

Christensen Mesa FFT (Reviews are inconsistent)
$1600

Christensen Ridgeline (Reviews inconsistent.)
$1800

Any other recommendations?????

THANKS!!!

hiker270

WKR
Tikka Roughtech or the Alpine Veil are hard to beat for just over $1000. With a great adjustable trigger, fluted barrel and Threaded muzzle and included Brake. My Tikka Roughtech 300 mag shoots 1" at 300 yards with several factory brands of ammo and my reloads will do the same.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Go try handling the new T3X super varmint variant. You’ll like that stock much better.

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
In current production guns I am partial to the
Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather MB

Winchester Model 70 Extreme Tungsten

I have mentioned before on these forums how impressed I am with the current Mod 70
(I have bought 2 in the last year)
Not a lot for me not to like here.
Hunting guns for a lifetime

Putting together a 300wm in a CA Ridgeline FFT currently. Fit and finish is really clean, balances well. Weighs 7lb 10oz with Hawkins UL rings and a Trijicon 10 mile 3-18 FFP. Looking forward to breaking it in, seems like a very nice rifle. Length is perfect for adding my 7" can whenever it gets out of jail. Looked hard at a Tikka in the roughtek, but seems like Tikkas are more suited to short actions, and I really didn't want to deal with changing the stock, I also don't like the feel of the Tikka factory stocks. Picked it up for just under $2k during the black Friday sale, Europtic had a sale going recently, don't know if it's still on.

Brendan

WKR
I like the Christensen, I'd go for one of the Ridgelines, but I would go with the Tikka if it meant I could budget for a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 or ATACR 4-20.

Being an avid 300 win mag fan with a few of them. For hunting, I would recommend(as I own and have used) the following in no particular order:

- Winchester model 70 EW -stainless action and barrel, threaded, I really like the stock and shoots really good. A little heavier but additional weight is longer barrel and better stock.

- Tikka t3x - great for lightweight rifle. I don't like factory stocks. Shoots great but picky on bullet selection. Great action. I don't believe roughtech is stainless. I have veil model. (I have a t3x stainless in 270 with mesa stock and it fixes the stock issue)

- sako 85- I have finnlight and I think its a better tikka. Great action, shoots as good as tikka. Like the stock much better. I believe finnlight ii stainless has threaded barrel and can be found around 2k from time to time.

- Seekins ph2 hunter - awesome gun, like the stock, good magazine, shoots great. great gun.

- Bergara Highlander - heavy but great action, shoots better than the rest, internal magazine, stock is solid but not my favorite.

All are stainless because I hunt in weather and sometimes Alaska so I want stainless. I like my 300s between 7.5-8.5lbs fully loaded.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the standard CA mesa, I found used. My first CA and 300.

Not sure if it is the muzzle break, or it is not that big of deal, but I was underswhellemed the first time I shot it. I thnk my 45-70 has more recoil. I'd like to try to it muzzle break cap, to compare.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
Sako seems to have gone up a lot in price. To much for me.

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
Take a peek at the Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Long Range. I've got the McMillan stock version (which is a little heavier) and I love it. Checks all your boxes.

Gila

WKR
If you are not going to hand-load then the Tikka is a good choice. I bought a Tikka T3x Lite in SS when the barrels started coming out with a 1:10” twist a couple of years ago. I am getting one MOA with 180 gr Accubonds in the Nosler Trophy Grade ammo. I wanted to Shoot 200gr + but couldn’t find any ammo that I wanted to shoot, so started hand-loading. Unfortunately the Tikka mags are limited to a COAL of 3.37”. Most other rifles have a mag that is longer than the Tikka magazine. The CA Mesa FFT does have the longer magazine.

03mossy

WKR
I started a very similar thread a few days ago and have received some good responses.

Being an avid 300 win mag fan with a few of them. For hunting, I would recommend(as I own and have used) the following in no particular order:

- Winchester model 70 EW -stainless action and barrel, threaded, I really like the stock and shoots really good. A little heavier but additional weight is longer barrel and better stock.

- Tikka t3x - great for lightweight rifle. I don't like factory stocks. Shoots great but picky on bullet selection. Great action. I don't believe roughtech is stainless. I have veil model. (I have a t3x stainless in 270 with mesa stock and it fixes the stock issue)

- sako 85- I have finnlight and I think its a better tikka. Great action, shoots as good as tikka. Like the stock much better. I believe finnlight ii stainless has threaded barrel and can be found around 2k from time to time.

- Seekins ph2 hunter - awesome gun, like the stock, good magazine, shoots great. great gun.

- Bergara Highlander - heavy but great action, shoots better than the rest, internal magazine, stock is solid but not my favorite.

All are stainless because I hunt in weather and sometimes Alaska so I want stainless. I like my 300s between 7.5-8.5lbs fully loaded.
Is the Seekins better than the win 70? I love the look of the ph 2,but haven't put my paws on yet.