300 win mag Light weight setup

I've got a Christensen Mesa fft in 300 win mag. Looking for a good lightweight scope for this rifle. I have a few 56mm target scopes but I don't want to put a heavy scope on a rifle meant to be lightweight. Just looking for some examples from the forums experience for a good scope.

Take a look at the scope testing here: Scope Evaluations

Draw your own conclusions, but my take away is that Nightforce and Trijicon are the ones to look at. This matches with my real world experience as well. You can get a scope around 24oz in both. A few added ounces, but the peace of mind is likely worth half a pound.

Take a look at the scope testing here: Scope Evaluations

Draw your own conclusions, but my take away is that Nightforce and Trijicon are the ones to look at. This matches with my real world experience as well. You can get a scope around 24oz in both. A few added ounces, but the peace of mind is likely worth half a pound.
My take is get reliability over weight savings. Much more important in the back country. I do not know anything about the trijicon. But I have and would buy more NF if needed.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

My take is get reliability over weight savings. Much more important in the back country. I do not know anything about the trijicon. But I have and would buy more NF if needed.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Very valid point!!! What's a few more ounces if you can't hit the broad side of a barn with a light scope.

I've got a Christensen Mesa fft in 300 win mag. Looking for a good lightweight scope for this rifle. I have a few 56mm target scopes but I don't want to put a heavy scope on a rifle meant to be lightweight. Just looking for some examples from the forums experience for a good scope.
Not to derail the thread but have you ever shot a lightweight 300wm?

Heavier recoil rifles are very unforgiving and difficult to shoot when set up "lightweight".

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Heavier recoil rifles are very unforgiving and difficult to shoot when set up "lightweight".

Hope it’s threaded. I hate brake noise, but I hated the beating my 300 dished out. It’s a loud pussycat now, I can shoot 50 rounds easily.

IMG_3869.jpeg

Yes has muzzle break from the Manufacturer it weigs in at 5.5lbs and shockingly (even to myself the recoil is very manageable). I agree heavier rifle would cut down on recoil but Christensen made it light for a reason I guess but the Break cuts a surprising amount of recoil out. Like just below 30-06 recoil. I don't know how but makes it shootable. I would put 100 rounds through it at the range though lol!!

Yes has muzzle break from the Manufacturer it weigs in at 5.5lbs and shockingly (even to myself the recoil is very manageable). I agree heavier rifle would cut down on recoil but Christensen made it light for a reason I guess but the Break cuts a surprising amount of recoil out. Like just below 30-06 recoil. I don't know how but makes it shootable. I would put 100 rounds through it at the range though lol!!
Depending on the load it should recoil around an unbraked .308 in terms of ft lbs.

I never believed in brakes, till my 300 cut me open. Proned out shooting a cow a couple hundred yards out. Got the cow, and the ow. Had a crappy weaver all steel 3x9. Ditched that glass, put a nice zeiss 3x9, with a rubber ring on the eyepiec, on. Still kicked hard of course. Threaded by a local guy and had his brake installed. World of difference.IMG_3867.jpeg

Depending on the load it should recoil around an unbraked .308 in terms of ft lbs.

Obviously recoil is highly subjective to each shooter, but I've got a lightweight 300 with a SRS 3 port brake, and when I shoot it back to back with my unbraked 6.5 Creed I can't really tell a difference in felt recoil.

I recently picked up a trijicon Ascent 3-12 for my Tikka 300wm. It comes in at 17 ounces I believe which beats pretty much all NF/Credo/tenmile. I haven’t seen any durability tests of the ascent but guys seem to like it pretty well. It being a trijicon hopefully I don’t have any issues. I would love to see form test it.

I have currently a Vortex PST gen 2 5-25 x50mm ffp (31.2oz) that I took off a target rifle and a Vortex Viper Hs 4-16x 50mm(20.4oz) 2nd focal plane thT I bought for another rifle before I traded that rifle. Those are what I have around the house not on any rifle but am looking into all the awesome suggestions on here!!! Loving the Knowledge!!

Back